new Centennial Ring Emblem...

Spun this thread off the older "World Crest with WB Beads" thread, since now there's even another way to add stuff to your World Crest!

As someone who had gone to the National meeting had mentioned a few months ago, there's a "Centennial Ring Emblem" at http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&item=18156 that you can now put around your World Crest.

Guess you gotta choose between the beads or being timely and trendy when you accessorize your World Crest!

It's just swank, but I'll get at least one for my CS son b/c EVERYEONE will probably be wearing one. heck I might buy a second one for my collection. Doubt I'll wear it.

Now if they come out with a buckle for the leather belt, from the pics on myscouting.org ti looks like they made a buckle for the OLD web belt, I'll wear. Heck i just busted out the 75th anniversary buckle to show people what and old fogey I am ;)(This message has been edited by eagle92)

Does anyone know the details about this patch?

I wonder if this is one of those items that the local Council will control/issue....

Are there requirements for this patch? Youth only? How long can it be worn? etc.

Looks like those with more than a few knots will be a bit "tight" for space on their uniform.

Looking for actual information, please provide sources.

Thanks.

A gentlemen ho wen to the annual meeting back in may blogged about some stuff on the MYSCOUTING.ORG website. It's under blogs, and he did three posts which included photos and the info he received. According to those posts, any member, youth or adult, can wear it. I believe, stress believe, it is only to be worn for one year, but I know that for most people, once on it stays. I and I think i read abotu the year only requirement, just can't remember where.

Is this possbibly the "Year of Celebration Leadership Award" that the Centenial website is purporting that will be available starting in September?

The PDF that National has with the requirements is here:http://ww2.scouting.org/100years/100years/sitefiles/1000/YourSource/PlanningTools/A_Year_of_Celebration/BSA_Year_Patch_Earning.pdf

BUT - They never show a picture of the award patch.

No, that's a patch that'll hang off the right pocket and is larger and rectangular. There are 5 ribbons that can be earned which hang off of it.

The Centennial World Crest Ring is on scoutstuff.org (see my link in the 1st post of this thread). They are already in our scout shop for $1.49, I think. Pretty nice looking. I've already got one on my son's uniform, since he saw it at the shop as I was shopping for "old" uniform peices.

• 2 weeks later...

The Centennial Ring is to be worn around the World Crest to show off the BSA's 100th Anniversary. I bought several dozen and gave them to my scouts and adult leaders. I also gave one to each of my 100th Anniversary committee members at my last council meeting. They're awesome I think.

The "Year of celebration" patches are a sqare white patch that is worn as a temporary patch over right pocket. The patch itself has no requirments to purchase for $1.99, but the ribbons do. That program launches 9/1/09 and continues through 2010. I'm buying each of my scouts and adults one of the Year of Celebration patches also, they are quite a unique item with those ribbons hanging from the bottom.

For those who bought the rings, did ya trim the excess backing or leave it be? And if ya trimmed, did you do outside the patch and in the "donut hole?" The patch looks nice, but the excess backing makes it look bad, and if you trim the excess inside the ring, there is a gap between the two patches.

I bought a few, one for my son and one for my collection. Debating whether to put it on any of the uniforms as it is more "swank," and it is a gimme. Grant you the WC that it goes around is also a gimme these days, but I wear mine 'cause i earned it back in the day. We'll see.

• 4 weeks later...

My son is a new Tiger Cub. As such, when I purchased his uniform a couple of weeks ago I was automatically given this patch and was shown where to place it, etc... I completely agree that this patch is extremely difficult to sew onto the shirt! However, it looks really nice. Maybe my problem is that I had to sew on ALL of his patches at once, including this one! By the time I was finished, my index finger was starting to bleed! My friend was much more intelligent and hired a seamstress to sew everything on for $5.00. Next time, I may try that!