Last week at the scout shop the store manager showed me an email of things that are coming out in August. I was in a hurry, and did not get any of the details.

Boy scout shorts

New Venturing pants

Cub Scout belts, similar to the Boy Scout and Venturing belts

Combo unit numbers that have your chartering organization below the numbers

scoutldr wrote:

"The shorts and pants are already being advertised on Scoutstuff e-mails. I thought the Switchbacks were supposed to eliminate the need for shorts."

-----------------------------------------------------

They did, however they didn't stop me from wanting better uniform shorts, I would also love a pair of long pants made of suplex as light as the first Switchbacks. with drawstrings at the bottom they would be great for really buggy conditions and timew when you cant keep enough sunblock on your legs to protect them. Guess I have never gotten used to the zippers.

Can anybody tell me what cloth the new shorts are made from?(This message has been edited by prairie)

And I bet the new venturing pants will cost $75-$100 and won't be any more comfortable or durable than the current ones, seems like yet another "MMM" from National supply. New is not always better or less expensive.

thats my complaint, i like the scout zip off shorts i bought in 2007 to go to philmont but there so expensive. i cant talk my mom into paying for a new pair. i just get mad that i can go to stores like khols, walmart, macys ect and buy a pair of zip off pants for like $20-30 but to buy a green pair of zip offs with a scout emblem on the zipper and belt cost so much more. :(

"And I bet the new venturing pants will cost $75-$100 and won't be any more comfortable or durable than the current ones"

Current switchbacks are about $40. I can't think the Venturing ones should be more expensive then that.

As to comfortable/durability, we just have to see.

The latest issue of Boy's Life had an ad for the new uniform shorts. From memory, they are microfiber, anti-microbial, can double as swim trunks and have a waterproof pocket.

There's also an ad in the back of the issue: buy $50 worth on scoutstuff.org, plug in a special offer code, and get a new handbook for free.

Guy

I was just in our local scout shop yesterday and the guy I talked to said there is a new Venturing shirt coming out soon, although he didn't know when. I hope it doesn't have those stupid bellowed pockets. He did say the fabric will be the light weight blend like the new scout shirts, which I have refused to buy. I'll just keep my 2 old style ones--thank-you.

The new venturing switchbacks at $60 yet another way to gouge volunteers and venturers, and with the cheap China fabric and shoddy workmanship. I went into our local National scout shop, felt the quality of the pants and talked to the manager, and he agreed with me saying that National has already received numerous complaints. He told me that they have only sold one pair so far, most come in look and feel them and say "Glad that we aren't required to wear these things", so maybe slowly supply division will get a loud and clear message that even they can understand.

"There's also an ad in the back of the issue: buy $50 worth on scoutstuff.org, plug in a special offer code, and get a new handbook for free"

Well, that's a bummer. National just took over our local scout shop at the council office. From my understanding, it was a better deal for council. If I had known of this when I was down there today, I could have bought a couple more items and not paid for the handbook.

Our council just updated the standard CSP. This is the first update to the regular/standard CSP since 1981. I wonder if any of our reps who are on their way to NOAC got some before heading out.