Question about wearing a uniform

I have a question. I am currently a Unit Commissioner in my district, but not for the pack that my 2 sons are in.

What I'm wondering is, is it kosher for me to wear my uniform to a pack meeting? I'm there as a parent, not as a UC, so i can see where I wouldn't wear the uniform. On the other hand, I am a scouter and in some way feel that I should wear the uniform to any scout function.

What the consensus on this?

My thinking is that, since I'm there as a parent and not a scouter, I shouldn't wear my uniform. However, at the blue and gold, perhaps i should.

thoughts?

GL

Set he example and WEAR YOUR UNIFORM :) Also be prepared to sign an application to be a CS leader!

I know that when my son was visiting a pack, I wore one of my uniforms. Also when we were invited to join them at their family campout, I was in uniform.

FWIW, I also filled out an application to be a TCDL ;)

I have dealt with this issue as well. I was a Den Leader and now Scoutmaster with my two older boys. My youngest is currently in a different Pack from the one I used to be involved with (we moved). Here is how I deal with the uniform. For Pack Events, I do wear my uniform. I believe it helps set a good example for all the kids, by showing respect to the program, even though I am not a leader in the Pack (plus its good advertising for potential crossovers). For Den activities I do NOT wear the uniform out of respect for the Den Leaders. I want the boys to look look to them as the leaders and not get confused by my uniform.

What's the event, GreatScott?

If it's just a pack meetin', I wouldn't wear the uniform. I think it creates confusion for boys and parents, since you aren't servin' the pack in any way as a registered leader. They're apt to turn to you for things (and you might be apt to answer 'em) when they should be properly turning to the Cubmaster, den leader, or CC.

If it's a more formal scoutin' event - a Scout Sunday, a parade, that sort of thing, where you're really representing Scouting more than actin' as a parent, then I'd wear the uniform. That's what the uniform is for, eh? To show that you're functioning in a way that represents Scouting and Scouting service.

Blue and Gold is perhaps on da edge. I personally think yeh should go in the uniform of the office you are serving in. If you're going as a parent, I'd wear the uniform of that office, rather than the lesser office of Unit Commissioner. Da highest offices in the land wear the uniforms of civilian citizens, eh? But if you're bein' asked to represent Scouting in some way during the ceremony, then by all means go in your green and tan.

Beavah

Good advice from all.

While we scouters may understand the finer points of uniforming (epaulets, position patches, etc.), the vast majority of cubs and parents will not.

But most will respect a properly uniformed adult.

True, it may cause some confusion. But a polite re-direct to the right leader solves these issues.

As long as it's not expressly prohibited, I'd recommend wearing the uniform as you see fit. As evidenced by the lengthy uniform debates on this forum, the BSA needs every correctly uniformed scouter available, at any scouting event.

The cubs will benefit from another good role model, especially your son.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

after some thinking of my own as well as reading here and considering all of the opinions, I think the way I will handle it is this: I'll speak to the cubmaster and see what he thinks.

While i would love every opportunity to wear the scout uniform with pride, I don't want to take a chance of confusing anyone or to be seen as disruptive or intimidating. I'll ask the cubmaster how he feels about it and what he thinks, and abide by his decision.

Personally, I wouldn't wear the uniform to den meetings at all. Regular pack meetings are iffy, but I'm kind of leaning toward not wearing the uniform then. After all, I'm there as a parent, not a leader. For a B&G - that, I would be tempted to wear because that's a big scouting event. In our pack, that's when all of the boys receive their rank badges, so it's a big celebration of scouting. for any other major scout event (Scout Sunday, Cub-o-ree, Day Camp), I would definitely wear it then.

But for events involving the pack, I'll defer to the preference of the Cubmaster.

Thanks!

GL