Yeah, those guys that wear those ugly plaid skirts in Scotland are very effeminate.

I think the Webelos neckerchief is fine. There was nothing wrong with it when I was in Webelos 20-some years ago and it still looks good now.

If you look closely at the plaid you'll find it is blue and gold and green and red. These are the colors of Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting (albeit the old ones). Since Webelos is the bridge between the 2 programs it is very fitting that the necker and hat have the colors of both programs on them.

Although plaid isn't my favorite (I proudly wear a Webelos Leader necker), it beats the alternatives - stripes, polka dots, or camo print.

As for new hat styles, BSA is updating the Boy Scout and Venturing uniforms for the centennial, it was only a matter of time before they got to the Cubs. Unfortunately, my boys all bought hats for crossover and paid full price 2 months ago.

Since the hat is optional we told our group if they prefer the tan Webelos hat (comes with tshirt) it was ok. We haven't had a problem with them purchasing the neckerchief, but none of the scouts in our group like the plaid hat. I understand the significance of the 4 colors, but they could have created a different design than plaid. Guess that's the designer in me...

"BSA is updating the Boy Scout and Venturing uniforms for the centennial."

the BSA already updated the Boy Scout uniform for the centennial.

There is no update planned for the Venturing uniform. They are just finally rolling out the gray switchbacks, but that's not as big a deal as some think. I do like the new Venturing belt and will probably get it.

I think the plaid Webelos hat looks much better than the Tiger, Wolf, and Bear rank hats. I do prefer the hat that comes with the t-shirt for Webelos.

As for the plaid of the neckerchief, I liked it when I was a Cub Scout, and I like it now. Maybe that is part of my Scottish heritage coming out, although I would feel strange in a kilt. Wouldn't pass the YP guidelines.

We had an issue with wearing the hats inside of the church that is our CO. The easiest and most effective thing for us was to make hats optional as part of the Pack uniform. The neckerchiefs do a good job identifying what program/den the boys are in and the hats were left on the side anyway. It has worked well and I am glad we made the change.