used uniform parts

Happened to be looking around on ebay the other day. I didn't see very many pairs of the newer style scout pants (switchbacks, of either version). They've been around for a few years now so I guess the relative scarcity of them on ebay might be considered to be a sign that kids who get them are wearing them right out. (I know that's the case for my kid!)

That's good news on one front. Of course it is less good news for people who are looking for a uniform at lower price and don't want the "dorky" older style pants (I see there are still plenty of the older style pants/shorts to be had on ebay). It would be kind of sad if the difference between the two styles of pants became a status symbol or indicator of the relative economic standing of a boy's family within a troop.

Funny you mentioned seeing primarily old style pants and shorts on EBay. That's what I go there for. My son is wearing and wearing and wearing his switchbacks. Bought extras for summer camp staff this year, cause he didn't want to wear old style shorts (which he has a pile of from Jambo 05). But I have been hunting an extra pair or two of the old style for me. They fit my short feminine shape better than the switchbacks. The switchbacks are WAY too long in the stride, when I get a size to fit the rest of my shape.

So old style for me, switchbacks for my son. I think I may take his old style out of his closet and pass them on to someone else.

I know folks say to get 'em at yard sales and thrift shops as well. Perhaps it's just this area, but I'm a fair hand at thrifting and yard sales, and I've never once seen a Scout uniform piece, of any size, anywhere. eBay is the only place I've snagged used uniforms.

Short,

It's all location location location. Where I grew up, experienced uniforms coul be easily found in the thrift stores. in fact one store had a scout rack! being the entrepreneur that I am, I would buy the shirts, a lot harder to find pants, take the patches off and add them to my collection, and then sell the shirt to the guys in my troop. Enough to cover the cost of the shirt, and a coke was goal.

However where I am at now, you cannot find anything scouting related at any of the thrift stores.