Hiking Merit Badge Question

As far as I have been able to figure out, the hikes just have to be 10 miles long (except for the 20 miler of course) and approved by the counselor, they could be all or some or none done with the troop. As was alluded to, the boy earns the merit badge, not the troop so they hikes dont have to be done as a troop activity

Brad,

I guess it depends on how you define "packs". As I understand it, on each hike you are to be adequattely prepared. This includes water, food, rain gear, compass, personal first aid kit, etc. If you can get them all in your fanny pack you dont need a pack. Then again this is the Hiking merit badge and not the back packing merit badge, now on that one you do need packs.

I mentally figured that out last night. :)

It doesn't say "with full pack" so it can't require that.

Part of the reason I ask is that I though of working with my two sons on this badge. Texas has a lot of nice hiking areas and it would be some good time together.

Of course we would take "day packs" with the proper stuff, but avoiding a full pack would make things much easier.

Brad

Sounds like you have it figured out, and it would be a good time to talk to your boys. Remember each hike is supposed to have a narrative written about it, just BSA's way of saying no job is done until the paperwork is in, in that regard we ARE training the boys for life...

Just for kicks, where in texas are you? I have traveled the state quite a bit

The requirements have to be completed under the auspices of a registered merit badge counselor. It doesn't matter if the hikes are with the troop or without they just have to be approved by the counselor.

My opinion is that the hikes at the very least need to be with a buddy in keeping with hiking safety so why not make at least some of them a troop activity? 2 deep ya know.

Y'all are right, backpacks are not required but day and fanny packs should be used as OGE mentions. Convenience and safety again. What fool would walk ten miles without a water bottle?

Brad you are fine, go enjoy the hikes. :)

Ironically, I was reviewing something from the district advancement chair and I realized I had signed up to be a hiking merit badge counseler back when I signed up for the other merit badges I counsel. So I can prety much do things "myself" as long as I stay true to what is written.

Though I did think last night about trying to do some hikes at local state parks on Saturdays "opposite" the troops camping and see if I can get a few more of the boys in the troop interested. With at least one other adult we would be set. :)

I live in north Fort Worth, though we hope to move to east Dallas sometime in the coming year.

Brad