Boy Scout Sash Length

Wow...It's been a while.

Funny subject.

My son moved up to Boy Scouts last year. He's earned a few merit badges now so I decided to order him a sash this afternoon. BSA offers the new Centennial sash in 30 & 36" lengths.

Sash length is a subject I've never heard mentioned before & I've had all the training offered to leaders around here to date. Odd this subject has never come up all these years. Maybe the next roundtable.

I'm thinking the taller boys should get the longer sash but this might suggest that dad is implying he should fill it up. The sash is only for formal events so tripping should be a non-issue.

Thoughts?

NE-II-143

Three years ago I got my son the long one. It fits now that he's sprung up a foot to be as tall as I am. If length is really a problem, you can sew down a fold on the back to take up a some of the extra fabric.

get the 36" one as he will grow into it. trust me you don't want to wear a tight fitting sash at their Eagle COH, It was a very tight fit. and you can always hem the sash from the bottom so that it fits now, then just cut the seam.

"The sash is only for formal events so tripping should be a non-issue".

We got our son a 36" sash when he was 14 and was going to emcee the annual troop banquet/investiture. He proudly wore the slightly too large sash with the seven or eight merit badges he had earned by that time.

After the banquet as the scouts were returning all the stuff (flags, candle log etc) to the other side of the church, he hustled through a door and the sash caught on the door handle, putting a tear in the back and ripping open the seam.

We thought about replacing it but a scout is thrifty so we repaired it as best we could.

Four years later at his ECOH no one noticed the repaired rip on the back of his sash but I knew it was there, a reminder of a young scout hustling to get things done.

"Wasn't it Clifton Webb in Mr. Scoutmaster who tells his secretary to call his tailor and have them "run up a few Boy Scout uniforms" for him when he accepted the position?"

Been awhile since I've seen the movie, but, yeah, I believe that's so.

Of course, this was back when adults wore uniform coats, which Webb wore.

I know they have had 2 different size sashes since at least 96 because that is when I joined Boy Scouts. It seems like my parents bought me the shorter of the two (they didn't think I would earn to many past the 21 required).

FYI: You can only fit about 65 merit badges on the front side of the sash ;)