Bellowed pockets going away ??

Keep in mind that the new uniform comes in a choice of 2 materials, Supplex nylon or cotton rich popplin. I had always presumed that the cotton was for more of a "dress shirt" and that the nylon was for more outdoor (if not activity) wear. In response to Eagle92s input about the 90s activity and field uniforms, I assumed having 2 materials was a more subtle attempt to accomplish the same thing.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If cotton is replacing the wool shirt of the older uniform, they have made a move in the wrong direction. Nothing looks nicer than a nice wool dress shirt. For comfort and utility my cotton works just great. My "dress" uniform is wool. I'm not thinking the synthetic based fabric would be all that comfortable compared to cotton although it may last longer. I'm thinking that after 14 years, some of my cotton shirts are looking a bit "worn". My wool shirt looks like it just came out of the box. I like my natural fiber clothing. Ever wonder why they make blue jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts out of cotton? I don't.

Stosh

Most people who think they have a problem with wool do so because of the coarseness of the fabric. Some wool is a smooth as a baby's bottom and will cause no irritation unless one is truly allergic to wool. Most top-of-the-line men's suits are wool and most men do not react to it. The dress wool shirt is the most comfortable uniform shirt I have and I'm not alergic to wool. Even the more coarse fabric of the jac-shirt does not bother me. I sleep under a wool blanket more often than I do a sleeping bag on outings. Some blankets are not as good as others. A really nice heavy wool blanket beats a sleeping bag anyday!

If one gets a reaction like poison-ivy from handling a wool suit coat, then yes, you might have an allergy to wool. Otherwise, the coarseness of wool garments varies quite a bit, you may in fact enjoy a wool shirt after all.

Stosh

I don't know if they are going away, but what's the purpose of the bellowed pockets? What use are they to those that wear it? I don't have a new centennial shirt, but in my old pockets I usually put my reading glasses, pen, merit badge cards and a very small notepad. I've yet to see a boy scout stuff one of these pockets full. I think they are meant to look stylish and are not meant to be filled.

The only group I have heard complaints from are the female scouters and female scout shop employees. Their comment is that the new pockets are not very flattering on certain females.

... what's the purpose of the bellowed pockets? ... I've yet to see a boy scout stuff one of these pockets full.

Boys will be boys which means many Scouts will try to stuff them full. The first time I saw the bellowed pockets I wanted to see what kind of testing they'd done because I predict boys will be pulling those seams out as soon as they figure out they can put a pocketknife, their flashlight, compass, whistle, etc. all in the same pocket.

I think National was trying to copy some popular supplex shirt designs used by REI and many other manufacturers.

I find bellowed pockets on pants to be useful sometimes. Especially if I don't have, at hand, anything else to put stuff in.

I don't see why you'd cram a ton of stuff in your shirt. I'd prefer the shirt to look more basic and classic. Less clutter; more plain and simple.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys! Glad to see some like-minded folks here ^_^

I prefer the flat pockets of the old uniform. To me, the large bellowed pockets look silly on a uniform- like they're meant for an iPod or cigerettes. One idea would be to bring back bellows similar to the 40's/50's uniform, but with the bellows a bit wider spaced as to allow for most patches. Or... just make smaller bellows than those on the centennial uni that are stitched at the top and bottom and open wider mostly at the center (of the sides of the pocket), just so they will lay flat when they are empty and will bellow out when you need to put stuff in them.

On the topic of pants... I like classic cargo pockets that have a bellow in the center, so they will lay flat when empty and open when filled. The switchbacks seem to get caught on everything and they just end up being an inconvenience when the are filled to the brim. And can we go back to good ol' brass snap buttons instead of velcro and zippers and whatnot?

These opinions are from a 22yo ASM who likes sturdy and rugged fabrics. I've actually had clothing melt on me, so I do prefer natural fibers. Granted, it helps to keep away from flames or heat sources, but sometimes it cannot be helped. Accidents happen, and cotton & wooly clothing in my humble opinion is safer than nylon, supplex, polypropelene, etc. To the Supply Divisions credit, many (most?) uniform items are available in natural fibers. It just seems like Supply is more fond of synthetics.

I realize this probably is an issue for another thread, so please excuse my rant.

Eagle of '05, and still goin' strong!

"Bounty hunters, we don't need their kind of scum."

Hey Mandalore welcome to the forums. Great post and I forgot about the synthetics melting. That would eb a major problem wiht my old troop :)

• 2 months later...

"Here's to the hope that the old uniform will return and that the Centennial uniform will fade into Scouting history as an idea that was given a fair shot."

Which old uniform? The ODLR, the last OG with flat pockets offered in the 70s, the 60s era OGs which were the last of the well made in the USA uniforms and had the front pleats?