Bellowed pockets going away ??

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also heard the same thing, but the way national has been changing things, weekly it seems, I wouldn't hold my breath. I regret getting the new uniform I bought, even though I did it to save $10, because it looks like I will be spending the money on alterations. Those Swiss tabs are to low on the arm, covering the elbow, and are a pain when rolled up. So I got to get see if I can get the pocket and the tabs moved up.

I should have just broke down, got into my uniforms box up in the attic and turned one of my Scout shirts into a Cub shirt.

Is anyone else having problems with the button on the right bellows pocket? I have put a couple of different hanging patches on the inside button on the pocket flap, and in both cases, the patch fell off. Luckily I was at our meeting place and found the patches (Philmont and Sea Base!)

The older Scouts in our Troop have refused to wear the new shirts, citing a high level of discomfort with the "breast" pockets...

I concur with removal and return to "normal" pockets.

Hope it happens!

My friend showed a trick that I did. I took the button off the flap and made a buttonhole instead. The I sewed the button onto the pocket, and covered the entire flap with an OA flap. No one can tell it's modifiec. Yep i too had problems with the button.

???? why not just sew a button on top of the flap and forego the buttonhole. Shut the pocket with the velcro and hang your patches on the button. Even if you don't have an OA patch, seeing a button in that location will be missed by most uniform police. If it's a problem sew another button on the other side. It always looks like the pockets are buttoned down nicely. 2-minute permanent fix.

Stosh

A friend of mine showed me a interesting trick.

Take a wire-tie/bread bag tie, and wrap a small length of it around the loop of the patch. You don't need much, just a couple of inches. It holds the patch on the button, and it isn't seen behind the pocket.

Since I started doing this, I haven't lost a patch.

A few other challenges besides losing patches (SOLVED, but that is a neat rick with the wire tie) and the location of the Swiss tabs ( on the elbow, gonna see if seamtress can up the pocket and the tabs) include.

1) Collar. It's way to big and makes it awkward to wear a neckerchief inthe traditional manner with the collar rolled under. heck even if you wear a necker under the collar, i don't think much would be seen.

2) Cuffs on the long sleeve, Is it me or do the cuff seem big enough that even when buttoned, your hand is slipping through? Luckily I was abel to move the button myself.

My mistake! If there is a hanging button on the pocket already under the flap and one is still loosing patches. Put a Swiss tab from beind the pocket front reaching over and buttoning over the button on the front of the pocket. That should solve the problem. Where to get a Swiss tab? Old shirt of any sort should have a button to cut one out of. It doesn't have to match the color, it will be under the pocket flap anyway.

Stosh

It appears I am to be the lone dissenting voice here, but it wouldn't be much of a topic if everyone had the exact same opinion.

I really like the bellowed pocket. In fact I saw it as an excellent update. This style is quite popular with fishing type outdoor shirts (Columbia and such). I have some non-brand versions of these and I find them extremely comfortable. In fact, for several years I have quietly stated I hoped that BSA had the insight to make a uniform shirt with many of these same qualities. My thought was that we would actually have a uniform we could wear in the outdoors. At the same time, with the bellowed pockets, we would have an outdoor shirt which looked to be in step with the general public, even if we do put a ton of patches on it.

Unlike when the ODL shirt first came out, the changes between the recent and new uniforms were subtle updates. The old shirts would still blend in (if you changed the unit number and red epaulettes), but would be better and more functional. In spite of all the complaints (which I still feel are mild compared to when the ODL shirt first appeared), I thought BSA had finally done something right.

According to what is being said here, it appears that BSA may be backtracking on the shirt, and I think that may be a mistake. Sure, I would prefer 1000% that it was made in the USA, and there are improvements to be made (would have been nice if they had figured it out before they started selling them...). And I know many of you have complaints about many features of the shirt, but I still feel that the new shirt is a better product for Boy Scouts, both the youth and the program as a whole.

Try not to be too harsh on me for that opinion.

****Warning--Begin Rant here****

I do think that the name "Centennial uniform" is a stupid marketing ploy. What are they going to do, change it again after next year? Or maybe rename it once the "Centennial celebration" is over. It is not like I am foolish enough to believe this shirt (or any other) will be around for another 100 years.

****End Rant****

I know it's a pricey proposition, but I would like to see BSA go with two uniforms. My boys wear their "Class A" all the time at events, full uniform. When the COH's come around they look rather rag-tagged. I like Buffalo's idea of utilitarian pockets on the activity uniform and yet I like the idea of the older style of flat pockets on the formal uniform.

There is yet another option if one wishes to go back in history even further. The original scouts wore a tunic over their uniform shirt. The tunic had a standup collar and had all the rank/patches on it. When they took off the tunic during work, i.e. took off the suit coat when they got to the office, they had on a uniform shirt and everyone looked the same. Maybe the uniform shirt had a rank and POR patch on, but was not meant as a formal uniform for the COH.

Maybe BSA could take a lesson and have a lightweight tunic over a uniform shirt and could kill two birds with one stone. I do believe the military still uses this practice. BDU's for the field and a dress uniform for more formal occasions.

Yes, a heavier coat over a shirt is difficult in the summer time but not impossible, I do it all the time. I still wear my jac shirt over my uniform at outside events and it's wool. A lighter weight tunic/jac shirt would still look nice.

Stosh

Jblake,

BSA tried the two uniform approach in the 1990s when they came out with the "Activity uniform" which consisted of khaki shorts and polo shirt that was either red for boy scouts, tan for varsity scouts, and maroon for older scouts in a then venuture crew (now venture patrol). That was the uniform that was supposed ot eb worn in the outdoors and during activities, while the Field uniform, aka ODL, was for meetings and ceremonies. Not very popular, pricey, and discontinued. Although I have one, it was a gift from an eagle who knew I collected uniforms.

I admit I like the bellowed pocket, but wifey says no way she'll wear one. And I have mixed emotions on the ipod pocket. Yep I used it a few weeks ago for a compass since son stole my compass pouch.

One thing I have heard no complaints about are the new pants. Everything I hear about them is that they are great. I take that back, they are a little informal for COHs is the only complaint I heard. I admit I got a pair of knockoffs, see a post I wrote on that, that are exactly like the new issues and made by the same company, ChiComs, and I like them.

Now if they would only bring back knee socks.

When I was speaking of double uniforms, I was expecting the "activity" uniform to be practical in the field. Obviously the activity polo shirt might be great on the golf course, but it was a total waste of time in the woods. Marines look good in their dress blues at ceremonies, but I don't think they would be very practical in downtown Baghdad. Putting a pocket t-shirt out there as a practical shirt was rather dumb. If this was BSA's attempt at something practical, it is falling into the same crapper as the "centennial" and switchback uniforms seems to be going. Make it useful and the boys will buy it.

Stosh