More uniform changes and new BS HB

Well, it seems that things are slowly getting cleared up and they might actually make sense.

Eagle92 and I bounced around comments on this issue two weeks ago when I saw the now defunct red and tan numbers.

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=237016

Reading this thread it seems that the following statement can be said:

"All those registered in a Cub Scout Pack wear red and white numerals regardless of shirt color and all those registered in a Boy Scout Troop wear green and tan numerals."

Is that how you would interpret Eagle92?

Mark

(This message has been edited by cimarron8889)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep white on red numbers for ALL CS and Venturing affiliated folks.

To bad I bought that trained patch and green on tan numbers for my CS uniform. HOWEVER, once offical, always official and when the uniform police come after me, just gonna have to pull out the original brochure on the centennial uniform. ;)

E,

Are you suggesting that we do what they do in other countries, i.e. 4th Seal Sea Scout, 109th Glasgow, 3RD SOMETHING FLEMISH (Smurf Troop) [sORRY I cannot rememeber the troop's name, just that their name tape was blue and had Smurf Troop underneath b/c Smurf creator Peyo was the first SM of the troop if memory serves me], etc.

It won't happend b/c that would be way to confusing for national. let's face it, national can not even keep up with OA lodge numbers, we now have to use council numbers for NOAC.

I'll vent. This unit number nonsense is comical. Never cared for the council patches either as from 10ft or so, they all look alike.

I do like Troop 111, Arlington, VA approach - a custom combined district, town, unit number patch - classic and sensible look. Quickly shows "warufrum".

http://www.troop111.org/patch.html

I also like their comment for the uniform police

"Although most folks love our patch designs (this and several others we also wear), a few decry our "illegal" patches. As with all the other "No-No" folks in Scouting, we just ignore them."

Speaking of the "No-No" folks at my council, I estimate another dozen or so scouts would have signed up for the National Jambo if Council allowed scouts the thrift and courtesy to wear the scout uniforms they had. Is uniforming about all looking alike (military), all looking like scouts, or all paying more to National? I suspect those empty scout Jambo slots will be opened to and quickly filled by No-No adults.

My $0.02(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

I really like the city, state strips over the council strips. When you go to events you get a chance to know where the scouts are from. Numbers mean nothing to the boys. It's only a way for the council to keep track of troops. Boys want to know where the others are from. Smaller council strips and supplement with city and state.

Stosh

WAhooker,

Welcome to the forums. The color of the numbers has been a problem as there has been no-to-conflicting advice on the matter. First it everyone in the khaki uniform went to green, then only those who are registered with a Scotu troop where khaki, then they were coming out with red on Khaki numbers, not back to white on red numbers.

If you haven't sewed on the numbers yet, and the shop you bought them at is nearby, exchange them for the white on red. if you sewed them on like I have already, don't worry about it as the guidance from national has been poor on this matter.

I persoanlly went against my gut feeling and got green numbers and trained strip. I have a feeling that EVERYONE save Sea Scouts will be goign back to White on red numbers after jambo.

I was the one that posted the question a couple of weeks ago about what unit number to use on a CS Leader.

Wow... I am glad I still have not bought my uniform. (Waiting for my card/paperwork to come in and make me official)

I went to my scout store and asked about the tan on red, and she said she had not heard of them... and this is a pretty knowlegeable scouter lady. I showed her the uniform guide with the red on tan, and she could not find it in the computer.

THEN i sent an email to BSA Supply to ask about the Red on Tan, and they told me that THEY HAD NO RECORD of it...

Now the new link is pulling the Red on Tan, before they even came out... ...

Ya know... here in California we are pretty relaxed on stuff... So I'm just going to get the Green on Tan, it just blends in... and I'm planning on following my son into BS, and CS leaders should look like their their Webelos and the BS and Council leaders.

Why make the CS leaders look different... I think scouters should all look the same.

NATIONAL: JUST MAKE ALL ADULT LEADERS WEAR GREEN ON TAN !!

I'm going to amend that.

NATIONAL MAKE IT UNIFORM AND GO BACK TO THE TRIED-AND-TRUE TRADITIONAL WHITE ON RED.

I'm not wearing that green on tan garbage even if I have to commission new troop number strips from a patchmaker.

Yup that is what I am suggesting! And it should help out with record keeping! No more same number units in multiple councils! No need to change unit numbers when districts merge. Everyone is filed alphabetically by their last name & membership ID number!

This will never happen since the unit numbers are a money maker for the BSA.

E,

Actually from what I remember, the name tapes are a real money maker for the various scout associations. Each unit has to have a custom name tape, and place a minimum number. Also if memory serves, in the UK each unit has a specific color background based upon program level, i.e. Cubs and Scouts were green to match uniform, leaders and venturers, now explorers, had mushroom to match their shirts. Now some of the units did have older name tapes, and I do have a collection.

Now if we could only get scouts to wear unit specific neckers!(This message has been edited by eagle92)