More uniform changes and new BS HB

Well national has updated the 2009 Uniform guide from 2 weeks ago. according to this link

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/uniformguide.pdf

Male CS leaders only are going back to WHITE ON RED Numbers, so there are no RED ON TAN numbers now.

No mention of White on Red Numbers for Webelos or female CS Leaders.

OK Scratch that last one from this link

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/FemaleUniform.pdf

Female CS Leaders Do wear white on red numbers.

Ditto Webelos white on red for Wbelos.

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/WebelosUniform.pdf

Also the will be a red trained strip coming out.

SOOOOOOO my question is this: Can all the CS leaders who got green numbers and trained strips exchange them for the correct ones now?

Also anyone notice the new BS HB on this link http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/BSUniform.pdf

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of that makes sense. If the red is worn by the CS then it would make sense for the adults to be the same. When the CS becomes a Webelos and opts for the tan uniform they are still in the CS unit so why replace the numbers? Just use the ones off the blue uniform. A fair possibility they will need to buy new green numbers in a year when the cross over. Why make them buy the green for a single year.

Than being said. I have a hard time seeing anyone make anyone go back an change their patches back. But if they do they will likely already have a set.

I heard tonight that a new supplex shirt minus the bellows pockets (and minus the sleeve pocket) will be due out sometime soon.

My son's jambo troop leader asked us parents to hold off buying any new uniform pieces unless absolutely necessary (and then he advocated borrowing or buying used/cheap old stuff) because the council contingent wants all the boys to have the exact same stuff - except it keeps changing! So they're asking us to wait until just before jambo to get the latest run all at the same time.

In some respects I'm glad I bought a new shirt to be my CS shirt and am saving my BS shirts (2) for 5 years from now. But with all the uniform changes in reference to the new shirt that are occuring weekely, this is ridiculous.

I am just glad that '"Once official, always official" is the policy. When the uniform police come after me at the fall camporee for buying green numbers and trained strip on my CS uniform, I can bust out the original pdf which shows CS leaders with the green numbers and trained.

Also in reference to the Webelos photo, notice that he is not wearing the new shirt, but the ODL shirt.

I emailed my scout shop manager about when the red on tan numbers were coming out, they were shown http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/uniformguide.pdf

I emailed her back this morning to tell her that they had been replaced with red on white numbers on the PDF, this is what I got back "I had emailed the insignia buyer about it and apparently it got a response! I will keep you updated."

We adults get all excited about uniform parts and colors. The boys in our troop wear a mix and match of all sorts. I like to find old parts cheap in the thrift stores and help a Scout out who might not be able to afford the new stuff.

I have yet to hear a single Scout remark that another Scout is not up to date.

Wear what you have, be happy, and focus on the program. That's what the boys do. It's their game...

I posted this info for a few reasons.

1) To show the ineptitude of national. This should have all came out back in August when the new unis showed up. This makes national look bad and lessens the confidence many have in national's decision making policies.

2) To show some of the frustration leaders, particularly the new leaders have about the new uniform roll out.

3) In my neck of the woods uniform IS a big policy. Twice a year for scouts, at council camporee and district camporee, and at least once a year for Webelos, Webeloree, a uniform inspection is done in which the inspection points are taken as part of the overall score. There have been some discussions because the uniform portion of the scorecard.

4) Personal. Yes I think my son joined the best pack in the area. But no unit is perfect. The one thing I would like to change with the pack is uniforming. I don't care if the scout or leader wears a brand new uniform or hand-me-downs. Just get him a complete uniform. I also don't care if it take time to get the complete uniform, but please make an effort to wear something similar while you are in the process. heck I know how expensive the uniform is, and how difficult times can be. But try to wear blue shorts or pants with the shirt.

I think as leaders we need to make every effort to set the uniform example. With the ineptitude of the what has happened, you have some leaders with new shirts with the red numbers, and some with green. yes we are setting the example as best we can at this point, but how does it look to new parents and scouts?

Grant you it's not alot of money for 3 numbers, but it still money I could use for something else, like a pack camping trip, Eagle project fundraiser, etc.

You guys haven't heard this is all part of the new "Mazzuca BSA Recapitalization Plan", if they can't make money one way they will make sure every scout and leader will have to own a minimum of 10 different versions of the same uniform and since they are made in China they will fall apart within two years or less and have to be replaced, lol.

I couldn't resist, this uniform stuff is getting more ridiculous by the day.

The 2009 Uniform Guide shows a cub leader with red numbers. The insignia guide says red, but the color pictures in it show tan. So your guess is as good as mine, but mine for now is red. Boy I sure hope national puts out some kind of corrected update soon.