Is there a difference between the Eagle Scout medal in the Eagle Scout Kit ($87.99) or the Eagle Scout Kit - Antique Finish ($24.99).

A scout in my troop is about to purchase his Eagle Scout award kit and wants to know if there is a difference in the MEDAL. I know the pins for the mentor, mom and dad are different in the eighty dollar kit becuase they are made of sterling silver or something. But is the metal on the Eagle Scout Medal any different???

John said it. the more expensive kit is completely sterling silver. me personally I wouldn't bother. Most of the Eagles I know have lost their medal in some move or another.

EagleSon has two medals.

He has a regular medal inside the BSA frame of his certificate and his medal.

I got him the sterling set as my gift to him; that medal is in his jewelry box now. At this point in his life, he wears it for Eagle Courts of Honor and District Dinners only.

I hear ya Pack. I've also kept a good bit of my stuff, but not everything. My mom agreed to keep some of my stuff until I was able to cart it off. Well Katrina did a number on her house, and some of the stuff she was holding on for me was lost. For the most part it was old temp insignia, but I did lose my CS uniforms that I wanted my boys to see, and possibly wear.

Out of the adult Eagles in my district, only 2 others still have their medals. Everyone else has lost theirs in a move.

Lost the medal? Sad. I still have a shoebox full of Scout regalia. Two shoe boxes, actually. And my Uncle Frank's. Scout membership card signed (stamped) by Theodore Roosevelt. Yeah, it is a 'stamp' but still kinda cool. Scoutson askes to see the stuff sometimes. Marvels at the old necker slides I made. Led him to try his hand at carving. He might make Eagle yet, start his own shoebox.

I was actually just home for the weekend visiting the folks and going through all of my scout stuff to pack up and bring back to my house. Fortunately, mom was good about keeping all the stuff, so I grabbed everything, including my Eagle medal and my Explorer GOLD Award medal (got it right before BSA made the transition from Exploring to Venturing; it's now a discontinued award).

Even had a chance to go through my dad's old scout stuff (and his new stuff, since he continued to be active even after I went off to college). He still has his Eagle medal from the 60s. It's actually the design without BSA on the medal itself. I remember sneaking peaks at that when I was younger and making sure I did what I could to earn it myself.

I guess I am way out of the norm.

I have my Eagle medal, two religious awards medals, my original OA sash, several West Point camporee neckerchiefs ... All my blue cards. My Scoutmaster told us over and over again to put them in a safe place they are really important. I was a good listener then. I have had them all for almost 30 years.

I have lived in many locations, my parents got divorced when I graduated from High School and a lot of stuff went in a lot of directions but my Scout stuff box and Matchbox car collection seemed to stick with me. Unlike my Lionel trains. :(

• 7 years later...

https://www.sageventure.com/scoutingcentury/eagle/

Some info concerning "standard kit / antique finish -vs- sterling silver"

Concerning the Stange Type 5 (and sub types) Medal...

"Late in 1979, the price of silver rose dramatically compelling the National Office to change the metal content of the Eagle Scout medal from Sterling silver to a non-precious medal.  The Stange type 5 medals were silver plated copper, oxidized to black, buffed and lacquered.  Sterling silver medals were also available upon request."

Concerning the Stange Type 6 (and sub types) Medal...

"In 1993, the pendant was changed to pewter.  To accommodate the softer medal, the pendant was increased in size to a height of 30 mm (head to tail) and a width 32 mm."...The CFJ's also did this...as well as the Stange Type 7

The only major difference between the two is just substance. Symbolically...they are saying the same thing.