Webelos neckerchief

Are Webelos only authorized to wear the Webelos necker or could the den vote to wear a homemade one that is bigger and more useful. The material is a red plaid that is a homespun stouter cotton then the official neckers. Also we made them bigger so the leaders and the scouts could match but it appears that the insignia guide only allows the "official webelos" neckerchief. Ours is very unique and looks very old school scout.

Go for it.

My boy wore his wolf necker all the way through Cubs and no one ever said a thing. He liked the yellow and blue combo.

Getting a boy to simply wear a necker is a big deal with today's boys. If they all want something special, I'd say go and get them. If they all switch over to the tan shirt, then no one is to the wiser and they look like Boy Scouts right down to the patrol patches. Only thing different is the loops.

Stosh

Those are my thoughts. We had a hard time just getting parents to chuck out the money for the official ones so some of the kids don't have those, I had 12 yards of this fabric at home so offered to make them all new Neckers if they voted they wanted different ones. 5 out of 8 voted yes so majority rules. Everyone will have them with new turks head woggles that I tied from bright green P cord. All for free. Thanks.

Why not teach them how to make the Turks Head. it is hard at first, but after a few practices, they might be able to pick it up. I have talked to a few WDLs who have done this with their boys. I hope to do this at summer camp where we will have a lot of new Webelos.

Most of the Web2 in my neck of the woods will wear a Turk's head woggle. Since they don't change neckers, they get a new slide. i've seen them in clothsline, green paracord, and my personal favorite, RWB paracord.

As for wearing the official neckerchief you could check to see what the insignia guide or Webelos leader handbook says. As for me as long as they are the same material so they look like they belong together go for. I bet making their own will encourage them to wear them more.

Following subthread -

My favorite cub craft project was Hot Wheel cars Gorilla Glued to PVC pipe. My son made is about 4 years ago and wore it to an ECOH last week. He said is his favorite. It must be he has lost all the others. LOL

I think the PVC pipe stays on better than the typical BSA slide. Additionally I think Woggles work really well. I have taught several of our Scouts how to make them. The cool thing is now they are teaching others.