Red or Green Unit numbers on Cub Leader Uniform?

Why couldn't they make the CS uniform simple.

All CS (Tigers, Wolves, Bears, and Webelos) wear blue and yellow socks, blue shorts/pants, blue belt, blue shirt, and a colored necker depending upon program lever (those neckers do help on outings) and a blue and yellow hat for the first three years, repalced by an all blue hat for the last two years for Webelos.

Webelos Still have the option of going to the BS uniform with the CS trimmings, i.e. blue loops, Web. necker, tricolors, etc.

This is an assumption, and you know what "assume" means. I think that the WEBELOS are getting the green on tan unit numbers because they are getting ready to transition into Boy Scouts, so they will not have to change the unit numbers on their shirt when they move over to Boy Scouts or they out grow it. As for the Adult Cub Scout Leaders they may or may not transition into a Boy Scout Unit after their son moves on, so they will need to have a uniform that conforms more to the Cub Scouts than the Boy Scouts. Thus the Red on Tan Unit Numbers. I would expect that there will soon be a Red on Tan trained strip to follow. I would also assume that the Adult Female Cub Scout Leaders Tan Shirt will adopt the Red on Tan Unit Numbers as well.

On another note, the brochure also shows the WEBELOS belt as the new black web belt with the plastic buckle that comes connected to the new switchback pants, but the caption says the blue cub scout belt with the WEBELOS buckle. National needs fire the proof reader on this brochure.

• 2 years later...

At our council office there is a "national scout shop." Their solution to the confusion was to post the following guidance next to the bins that contain the unit numerals and trained strips.

Boy Scouts and Boy Scouters: GREEN shoulder loops, TAN numerals, TAN trained strip

Everyone else: RED numerals and RED "trained" strip

They didn't mention what you're supposed to be wearing if you're a boy scout or scouter who is still wearing red loops on his uniform shirt. I would guess that Boy Scouts and Boy Scouters who wear red shoulder loops would stick with the red numerals and trained strip, but I'm not sure.

Is there some sort of phase-out date by which time all boy scouts and scouters are supposed to have switched over from red loops & numerals to green ones? Or does the "any uniform that was ever correct is always correct" policy apply? Will we continue to see a mix of red loops and green loops at troop meetings for a decade to come?

Sax,

Wow talk about an old thread.

In regards to "Phase out date" no such thing. If you have a vintage 1940s uniform, it's still good. I was told, and the lawyers on these boards can expand, that if BSA dsaid an item is no longer uniform, they lose control over some legal control over it. Again that was what I was told. So when oldest becomes a Boy Scout, I'll be wearing my red loops and numbers still. ;)

As for color of numbers and when this thread was started, not even the folks in a national stores could tell you what was up as it was a mess. I called my old store about this issue to get the correct info, and even they didn't know what was up and gave me the wrong info. Also national literature at the time gave the wrong info, so I see CS leaders in tan and green numbers and trained strips. I say it's vintage Fall 2008.

Also to make everything as clear as mud, national said that the ODLs and CUs were interchangable in the literature at the time, so that items from one uniform could be worn with the new one. So those red loops and numbers are OK.

So as long as I can wear my uniforms still, and I got a bunch, I'll be wearing red loops and numbers.

• 1 month later...

A few things.

1) probably used whatever props they had

2) folks making the video had no idea what color is what, or which patch is worn wear for that matter.

I've seen a TC wearing a wolf and bear badge in a photo from national. Also saw venturers wearing green pants and not gray.

"You can not purchase the trained patch at the Scout Shop."

You can in my Scout Shop. I purchased several a few weeks ago so I could recognize our newly trained Cub leaders.

Regarding the unit numbers, the understanding in my Council is this:

Cub Scout Leaders: Red Unit Numbers, red trained strip. ODL shirt or Centennial shirt.

Boy Scout Leaders: Green Unit Numbers, green loops, green trained strip. ODL or Centennial shirt. If you are still wearing the red loops and red numbers on the ODL shirt, that's fine. Older official uniforms are always official.

Some Cub Scout leaders wear the green numbers and green trained strip. I'm sure this is because of the confusing communications early on. That said, no one cares and it does not really matter. Their uniforms still look good.

Some Cub Scout leaders wear the green numbers and green trained strip. I'm sure this is because of the confusing communications early on. That said, no one cares and it does not really matter. Their uniforms still look good.

That's because it's vintage Aug 2008-Apr 2009 CS leader uniform. ;)