those cigarette pockets

I heard yesterday from a reliable source that national is going to do away with the "tech" or "cigarette" pockets on the shirt sleeves, going forward. Seems that maybe they listened to all the feedback after all.

Now if only they would make a shirt with a lower "dork factor" (as my son has called it)! I mentioned in another thread that he'll happily wear the switchback pants anywhere, and he wears his troop T shirts out & about too, but the uniform shirt? No way.

In reference to the tech pocket. OH YEAHHHHH!!!!! Pain in the butt to sew the patch on without sewing the pocket to the shirt, and IMHO the sleeve looks funky with the CSP, Unit Number SPACE then the trained patch and POR.

Now if they would move the Swiss tabs up an inch, I like having the sleeved rolled OVER my elbow.

I like the tech pocket as well, but it is a major pain to get the POR patches on them. It's the "pen pocket" that I find annoying, and I always carry a pen. The seam they added to separate the pen from the rest of the pocket makes the main pocket almost too small to be usable.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

Nolerules,

the secret to the 'pen pocket" is to take a seamripper, look very carefully to see what you can and cannot cut, and remove the stitching, and Viola'. Just need to be careful at the top so that you are not cutting the thread on that, for lack of a better word "embroiders" the opening. Beleive it or not the ChiComs added the seam creating the "pen pocket" after the pocket was attached to the shirt.

Yeah, I thought about doing that. But I'm one of those pathetic scouters who knows nothing about sewing and relies on my wife to put patches on my shirt. Last thing I want to do is have her sew a pocket back on because I ripped too much seam. I do feel guilty about having her sew the patches on (especially since I needed a new shirt put together on 3 days notice due to that pen leak I mentioned). I really need to learn how to do it someday. :)

We really like the switchback pants, and the new belt is so much better than the old one. But as to the new shirts... I overheard a couple of older Scouts harassing one or their buddies that came in with a new shirt... the were asking him about the "breast" pockets... I'm sorry, but if I really filled those expansion pockets, they would hang down to my belly! I think they just look silly! And as to the arm pocket... well, what are you supposed to put in there anyway? A GPS? Compass? Gum? flashlight? Shirley not a pack of cigarettes! Who did they talk to when the ran the beta test on this stuff? Seriously!

" And as to the arm pocket... well, what are you supposed to put in there anyway? A GPS? Compass? Gum? flashlight? Shirley not a pack of cigarettes! Who did they talk to when the ran the beta test on this stuff? Seriously!"

The technology pocket, its official name, is designed to hold an mp3 player. There is a tailored hole inside the pocket so a headphones cord can be run inside the shirt. My compass goes in a front pocket.

Thanks nolesrule... mp3... of course. Except not in our Troop! No electronics outside the tent! The idea of a Scout doing any kind of a Scout activity (except maybe riding in a vehicle to an activity) with an mp3 and ear buds is out of the question!

Lisabob, could you get your son to elaborate on those things that add to 'dork factor'? I'm familiar with the term but I just can't seem to fully understand its application.

Also, get him to help me distinguish 'dork' from 'nerd' from 'dweeb' from, well, you get the idea. These things are really confusing. I mean...I need to know where I stand.....;)