A Journey in Time

The other day I arrived in the town I am working out of (140 miles one-way) a lot early, so I went to check out a mens clothier because he is an authorized Scout dealer. I was looking for a new CSP from that council and the sales clerk, of 53 years I learned, directed me to the back corner where more Scout stuff was located. I couldn't believe it when I saw boxed uniforms, colored patrol medallions, fully embroidered red numerals, and more. But, I was also surprised to find, skill award pamphlets, that green 70's SM handbook, and other Scouting publications from years past, mint and available for sale. And I must mention also for sale, a canvass Voyageur tent w/ bag, a little dusty, but looks to be in good shape and a package of 2 brown cotton Scout socks! It was near closing time, so I bought the socks, the CSP, some numbers, and a metal signal mirror for $2.15! Now for you old-timers out there, what era were brown socks used, and how much would you pay for the tent? I plan to return and dig around for more buried treasures there and might just get that tent. I was quoted a price on it, so I am curious to see what everyones value of a 40 year old shelf item is worth.

This unit is over 50 years old so I had a similar experience during a major move from one storage location to another...old MB pamphlets, uniform parts, tent parts, etc. We dumped a pile of stuff that really needed to be dumped and slowly took our journey with the rest. I bet I can find similar stuff in my garage - used, of course.:)

Brown socks . . .

My best recollection is they were part of the old green Exploring uniform. At least back in the day when that uniform could be worn by older boys who were part of Scout troops. Some of you will know better than I exactly when that uniform went out of the manual.

Ah, the dream collectors sometimes have. While doing research on something in our town, I discovered a store that was the first distributor in the city. But, it was too late. The building had been sold, and the store emptied. Had fantasies of going to their basement and finding things from the 20's and 30's. Oh well.