A real answer?

Now I was in Scouts a few years back, and I remember my uniform, I was very indifferent towards it, it got the job done, but can any one tell me what the change is all for? Green troop numbers? Green Slipons? Tech pocket? I means what is the need for that pocket? Or the green, whats wrong with red?

I have been reading and I can not find an answer, I saw one possible reason for the transfer to green, was not to attract animals, or something on the lines of that. But no for sure answer.

Anything about this would be very interesting to hear!

As noted, the uniform (and its insignia) have changed because people's taste in clothing have changed.

We went away from the more colorful office and rank patches around 1990 or so. Many people thought they were just too bright. The change to the more subdued unit numbers and such is just a continuation of this.

Change in materials is also expected. the 'fishing shirts' have become popular outdoor wear of late (not just for people fishing), so many changes came out of that.

Keep in mind that the BSA does a lot of research before they make changes. We may not understand or agree with certain changes, but they'd done research to know that enought people would like/agree with them.

Wonder how many boys will not be embarrassed by wearing the new uniform in public? Wanna bet none?

Yah, probably because there are still too many old men on those committees, eh? I reckon if we put a designer together with just a bunch of boy scouts we'd have a lot more luck. I hear the pants are doin' just fine in terms of kids wearin' 'em around, but the shirt is still too dorky.

Old or new, wearing the uniform is just an accepted part of the culture in our troop. There are a small handful of boys who will wear a jacket to cover their shirt even at a meeting, but for the vast majority, it just isn't a big deal. Now, would they wear it to school? No. In public? Yes.

Ever since the switchback pants came out, we've never had a problem with the guys wearing the full uniform. I can see why they like them better than the old style. The guys wear them on campouts and backpack trips. Hardly ever see blue jeans anymore.

Younger son and a friend work on camp staff and wear the Venturing uniform. They both have worn the gray shorts/pants to school. Guess it's because of the color - they don't look like Boy Scout pants. Then again, both these boys along with a few others are known to wear Boy Scouting Tshirts to school, too.

So far, a few of our Scouts have purchased the new shirt and say the like it much better than the old. The material is more comfortable and the green isn't as flashy. All of our new Scouts have the new shirt.

As far as the change from red to green. I also heard (from a trading post clerk) that it was because of animals. I wonder how that rumor started?

I like the new uniforms and the new colors, with one exception - the chest pockets. I just don't see the need for their design. Don't look bad on men, but kind of ridiculous on women. Eventually, I'm going to sew mine down.

What I didn't liek about the left chest pocket is the pen seam. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a bellows pocket. Luckily a seam ripper took care of that problem. Now I got to make a button hole on the right pocket flap so that you can actually use the button for temp insig. without having it fall off.

yep invoke the warrenty 'Lifetime Guarenteed" You'll laff, but my shop replaced a 30 yo pack with a brand new one because of the warrenty. Since the BSA didn't carry the individual frames, which is all he needed, we had to issue a new pack!

Just cut off all the pacthes: csps, knots, etc, before returnign it.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

Good question, I honestly don't know. Council should, repeat SHOULD, take them back. But each council shop is basically adistributorship and can set their own policies. They may make you return them to national directly.

Just a question I am on the ScoutStuff site, and they offer two pair of pants "Centennial Switchback Uniform Pants" and "Centennial Canvas Convertiable Pants" now what is the difference, and which one would you reccommend for a hiker?