Uniform Prices going up.....

Not sure if it's true but our council has a national scout shop, and heard from local professional last night that unifomr prices are going up real soon.

DE said that he was told yesterday and it looks like pants and shirts are going up $10.00 each. That's a pretty big jump....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K. If this is true, this is getting ridiculous. If the goal is to have everyone in a uniform, which is part of the program, this is not helping at all. The uniform already rivals the costs of American Eagle, Abercrombie, and other name-brand clothing companies. There are already many kids who have troubles affording a full uniform, why alienate them even more? I guess that I should not get too worked up about this until it is confirmed...

I just costed a little league uniform online.

If you want decent quality, the floor price is $50 for pants and jerseys.

Decent cap is $12.

Shoes are $50.

A glove is $70.

That's $182.

The cost argument doesn't wash, especially since Supply Corporation is actually trying to do the right thing with quality, fit and finish of the new garments that are purpose designed for the outdoors.

That's a 25-28% increase. I wonder how they justify that. Were the initial prices of the centennial uniform set artificially low to lure people in? It didn't work...at least in my council. So far, I have only seen a handful of people wearing the new uniform.

A little dose of cynicism.

IF the new uniform is required for the jamboree next year, that's a whole lot of product that will be sold by next summer. With the proposed price increase, mucho money to be made.

Prices set low to lure people in? Hmmm.

I'm not impressed with the fit, the shirt tail is too short.

Most I've talked to HATE the smokes pocket on the sleeve.

Just left National Scout Shop - it's confirmed - everything mot just shirts and pants is going up - for example WEBELOS neckerchef going from 6.49 to 9.99, everything going up effective tomorrow per our local manager.

Better buy it now, I guess, before the price hike.

I'll be honest. I recently bought a whole new uniform for my (rapidly growing) teen. I'm a supporter of proper uniforming. This isn't my first time buying a uniform off the shelf. Still, I got sticker shock. The centennial uniforms are already pretty expensive and I would be darned unhappy to have to pay another $10 each for the pants and the shirt. $50 for a pair of typical pants that he will outgrow within a year is too much, in comparison to other similarly styled pants on the market. At least he'll wear the pants on a regular basis though. Don't get me started on the shirts, which I still think are pretty useless (no kid I know wears them outside of scouting events and they're still not particularly good in the outdoors even with the newer material).

I still have the old-style uniform for myself. I was going to buy myself a new one this year, but if the prices go up I will not bother even though I absolutely despise the old ones. For me, at $100 for just the shirt and pants, it comes down to deciding who gets the new stuff - me, or my kid?

Just bought a new BSA cap, green with subdued emblem, it was $12, same as a baseball cap. I also price uniforms for our group that helps Scouts who can't afford Scouting; shirts currently $30, and pants $35 for zip-offs. I agree that a $10 increase is quite a jump but it seems to be about the same as a baseball uniform. Consider that the baseball uniform is only worn for 8 weeks and the Scout uniform is worn for a year or two I don't think its a bad deal. Our troop does allow unofficial pants.

Well I called some some friends in national supply just before lunch, and they confirmed prices are going up. Now the individual did not know if it was everything or not, but thought, again thought, that the shirt and pants would not be going up. 3

Me personally i am leaving work early and stopping at the shop to get a new shirt and fixins while I can afford it.