Temporary insignia for leader

Looking for advice from the experts. I am an adult boy scout leader and have lots of insignias from my youth. I would like to use one of these as a temporary insignia for my right uniform pocket to help generate conversation points with our scouts. I have two on which i would like input.

The first is 2.5in w x 4in h patch that says "America's Bicentennial festval USA 1975-1977" it has an American flag and a scout logo.

The second is from a year I lived in Belgium as a 2nd grade cub scout, it is round and 2.5in in dia and it says " TransAtlantic Council BSA" overlayed on a map of Europe.

Would either of these fit the rules for temporary insignia? and if they both do, which would you choose to wear? Thanks!

Any BSA temporary patch can be worn on the right pocket. I think the only restriction is not to wear things that are obviously not meant to be temporary patches (e.g., youth rank badges), or patches that have another designated use, e.g. BSA Lifeguard or 50 miler. I sometimes wear the patch from my first year at the council camp, 1966. The choice is yours...choose one, or swap them out at will.

I also use the plastic hangers and frequently change out temporary patches. Some of my favorites are my first camporee, summer camp (any summer camp as a youth), and a few others. We are working hard to bring back good uniforming habits in our troop (and are almost where we want to be) and this is a conversation starter, especially for our younger scouts.

I have similar patches to the ones you describe, especially the latter, which I got while serving as an ASM in the TAC back in the mid 80s. These are BSA patches. I see no reason these would not be considered temporary insignia.

I have two different class A shirts. The one that I bought for my Eagle Court of Honor (and still wear today) has a lot of my older activity patches going back to my Cub Scout days. Back then we had a circular activity patch with arc strips for various summer camp sessions, camporees, etc. and it can be a conversation piece. It also has an older multi-colored ASM badge. The second class A shirt is more "modern"; I use temporary patches in hangers on that one when I want to show one off.

• 3 months later...

So after reading this discussion is it safe to say that a Boy Scout can wear a temporary patch they 'earned' when they were a Cub Scout? My son earned a Historic Trail patch right before he bridged over to BS and would like to wear it now.

Thanks for your help!

I think if either patch prompted a boy to say:

"Mr Ozark did you get that as a kid? What did you do to earn it?

Those discussions are always great.

If I had the Govenor Dewitt Clinton Council freeze-out patch from my youth I would proudly wear it.

I think if either patch prompted a boy to say:

"Mr Ozark did you get that as a kid? What did you do to earn it?

Those discussions are always great.

If I had the Govenor Dewitt Clinton Council freeze-out patch from my youth I would proudly wear it.