BSA merchandise should be "Made in America" not China - Online Petition

US Postal workers uniforms are Union-made in USA.

http://www.skaggspostal.com/scripts/items.asp?itm=ELB+270&next=1&allot=0

and ... they are less expensive!

But let's drink the KoolAid that no US manufacturers can be found for button shirts, pants. US made t-shirts still can be readily found, lets go with that until a US manufacturer starts making scout uniforms again.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WOW This topic discussion went on for three years, and where are we now as the BSA continues to sadly flounder at an even greater pace, councils being merged at an even faster pace, membership continu

BSA merchandise should be "Made in America" not China   http://www.PetitionOnline.com/bsa139/   We believe in this strongly, and have created this petition to be sent to the Chief Scout Executiv

We're not getting any "deals" in cost for our uniforms that are made in china, anyone and everyone who has bought a scouting uniform knows this, we're paying for made in America prices, we're the BSA,

US Postal workers uniforms are Union-made in USA.

http://www.skaggspostal.com/scripts/items.asp?itm=ELB+270&next=1&allot=0

and ... they are less expensive!

But let's drink the KoolAid that no US manufacturers can be found for button shirts, pants. US made t-shirts still can be readily found, lets go with that until a US manufacturer starts making scout uniforms again.

But alas, the materials that make up the shirt don't necessarily need to be made in America, in order to get the "Made in the USA" label it needs only to be assembled in America.  Union workers making the shirts is probably part of the government spec for the contract.

Basically all "Made in the USA" means the product was assembled/manufactured on US soil.  Toyota cars assembled in Kentucky are "Made in the USA".....and all the profits off of materials and sales of cars goes to Japan.  :)  US labor is all Toyota is using and avoiding the import tariffs of a complete car.  :)

The major producer of BSA-branded garments before production went overseas had already moved production to Puerto Rico to cut costs - and still went under.  So they were not a choice.

Most US companies have moved most of their production overseas. 

Some fabric used to make BSA-branded garments  is made in the USA of recycled PETE beverage bottles by Unifi 

Some of those garments are made in the USA by SustainU.  (WBGV still thinks it is in the USA. :D  )

Some are made in Bangladesh

Some are made in Vietnam.

It is interesting that the company I used to work for had manufacturing in the US and the product was made of US material and bore the Made in USA label on it.  But the company made the same thing in China using more Chinese materials and no Made in USA label on it.  Still sold Made in USA 10 to 1 over the Chinese product.

Marketing makes a big difference.  People still pay extra for quality.

US military uniforms are required by federal law (Berry Amendment) to be 100% domestic material with all manufacturing done in US. Not that the Defense Logistics Agency has always followed the law (some apparel orders were made in China until publicized) or spirit (manufacturing done by low wage US prison labor).

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL31236.pdf

http://www.ncto.org/industry-facts-figures/textiles-and-our-military/

US military uniforms are required by federal law (Berry Amendment) to be 100% domestic material with all manufacturing done in US. Not that the Defense Logistics Agency has always followed the law (some apparel orders were made in China until publicized) or spirit (manufacturing done by low wage US prison labor).

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL31236.pdf

http://www.ncto.org/industry-facts-figures/textiles-and-our-military/

Since when does anything the federal government does, worry about the cost?  :)  I tend to take that into consideration.

Since when does anything the federal government does, worry about the cost?  :)  I tend to take that into consideration.

Pretty regularly.  

Almost 2/3 of USMC F-18s  are grounded for lack of repair parts and repair man-hours   They are cannibalizing aircraft to keep some working.

We are short 500 fighter pilots for the fighter aircraft that the Air Force has.

Pretty regularly.  

Almost 2/3 of USMC F-18s  are grounded for lack of repair parts and repair man-hours   They are cannibalizing aircraft to keep some working.

We are short 500 fighter pilots for the fighter aircraft that the Air Force has.

:) I love the way people think.  I have relatives that worked their entire life for the government AND paid taxes.  They tend to not be very happy people when it comes to the government spending.

My  brother and I have gone around this issue many times and the one thing that we agree on is the fact that: We might short 500 fighter pilots for the aircraft in the USAF because the USAF ordered 500 too many aircraft.  :)  Or maybe 2/3rd the USMC aircraft are grounded because they aren't needed and with all the spare parts readily available....  :)

I guess it's just a matter of perspective, but when one's sister-in-law who worked in a government office had to buy huge quantities of office equipment and supplies to meet the budgeted amount or they would be cut the next year, it was pretty much a joke.  Of course the budget was automatically adjusted by a percentage for the following year if the budgeted amount was met so next year the problem was even that much bigger.  This is why the government surplus sales are so popular.  One can buy brand new, unused items, there in many cases.  Otherwise the items are gently used because entire offices were switched out with new equipment every year.

I used to bid government contracts and know she was right in what she was saying.

Of course it is known among the relief agencies that some of the relief organizations have administrative fees of 7-cents on a dollar.  Lutheran World Relief and Catholic Charities have been able to provide 93-cents of relief materials for every dollar spent.  The US government can provide that same relief material but it costs $2 to administrate.  Even the American Red Cross has 93-cents administrative fees for 7-cents worth of emergency relief.  It's not just the government wasting money, many organizations out there do, yet some others are very careful.

Even charities like the American Cancer Society pay telemarketers 93-cents on a dollar for everything they collect over the phone.  In other words when one makes a contribution, they think American Cancer Society gets a dollar when in fact they get 7-cents.   Why should the American Cancer Society worry about it.  Money keeps trickling in and the public is unaware of how the system really works. 

These are things which people never research for themselves and would be appalled if they ever knew.

Spot check on Scoutstuff for "Made in USA"

Nalgene bottles

Moccasin kits

Lodge pans, skillets (some Lodge like LId Lifter is not USA, IMO scouts should blacksmith and sell lifters at camp!*)

Thorlos hiking socks

Thermarest sleep pads, pillows

I would like camp Scoutcraft to step-up and add making your own outdoor gear. "Make a useful (temporary) camp gadget" is getting old. Our scouts love to make "keepers" - knives, arrows, poncho (Clint style), add zipper pouch to their pack,...

Back in the day, camp had a "shop" for woodcarving, woodwork, and artsy-fartsy. Busy place on rainy days. Hmm marketing, yeah marketing, we probably can't just call it a "shop" or "workshop", maybe call it a  "makerspace" or "makerlab". :laugh:

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

I find it rather strange that I have 2 sheath knives that have:

steel blades - Blacksmithing

wood handles - whittling

leather sheathes - leather

All three MB's and yet the end product is outlawed at some scouting activities.  :)  and yes, my 2 sheath knives that I have are made by me.  I don't wear them at BSA camps, but I do wear the BSA sheath knife.

Oh, and as a side note, the knives are "Made in the USA"!!! :)

Edited by Stosh

MZM’s much larger customer is Bass Pro Shops. Not easy to compare BSA apples to Bass oranges, but after trying online the prices seemed comparable. Alas no Bass shop near me to compare quality.

BSA switchbacks are nearly $50. Academy Sports sells the Magellan switchbacks for half that.

BSA switchbacks are nearly $50. Academy Sports sells the Magellan switchbacks for half that.

Wow

"A full Army combat uniform costs $102.04, according to the Army. That includes coat, $41.86; trousers, $42.43; patrol cap, $7.41; riggers belt, $3.73; T-shirt, $4.48; and drawers, $2.13." Made in USA

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/01/army-combat-uniforms-camouflage/28314895/

Wow

"A full Army combat uniform costs $102.04, according to the Army. That includes coat, $41.86; trousers, $42.43; patrol cap, $7.41; riggers belt, $3.73; T-shirt, $4.48; and drawers, $2.13." Made in USA

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/01/army-combat-uniforms-camouflage/28314895/

Yup, because that uniform is not sold for a profit. Hard to compare the cost of something versus the price for something.

If you imagine the Magellan SBs are $25, I suspect their cost to Academy is 2/3rds of that. I highly doubt that the cost to BSA is $30 for those SBs. I suspect their per unit profit on those are around 50%.