New insginia guide

I've been told, by thems who says they know, that the uniform guide is fraught with errors. This does bring up an interesting point. If its the Uniform Guide, how can it have errors? If the Guide is the source, then even when its wrong, its right, after all it is the basic reference, right

How in the world can they produce something with errors?

It has been at least 7 months since they rolled out the new uniforms.

And they still can't get it right?

Do we not have a uniform committee that makes, votes on and carries motions to make decisions? Are these decisions not recorded?

Is there no proof-reading and review of doccumentation before being distributed?

Where patches go on a BOY/CUB SCOUT UNIFORM is not rocket science. Yet the 'best and brightest' in Irving still manage to foul it up.

Very sad...

*This rant based solely on the assumption of the guide being distributed with errors. If done properly, please disregard.

"I've been told, by thems who says they know, that the uniform guide is fraught with errors."

Sure, there are errors. Is it 'fraught with errors', I don't think so. Just minor ones here and there.

"This does bring up an interesting point. If its the Uniform Guide, how can it have errors? If the Guide is the source, then even when its wrong, its right, after all it is the basic reference, right."

Well, its the result of a committee, so what do you expect?

Some stuff gets left out. Some stuff isn't clear.

I sometimes think the best think they could have done with the Insignia Guide would be to add a one page section at the begining explaing "How to use this guide". Some people just misread the guide. Worse are the people who demand 'tell me were it says I can't wear X'. Well, the guide isn't written that way. Its written to say WHO can wear WHAT WHERE. If you're not one of the people the guide says can wear that item, you can't wear it. If you're wearing in a location that's not specified by the guide, you're wearing it in the wrong location. I think there are only a handful of instances where the guide says that something can't be worn.

There's times when I've thought I ought to site down with the Guide and write up a detailed report on the errors I see, and recommendations on how best to address some issues. But I've just never taken the time.

• 3 weeks later...

One way it can have errors even if it is THE insignia guide is if it contradicts itself. On page 42 it shows the commissioner arrowhead award being worn between the position patch and the trained strip, but on page 49 it states, regarding the trained patch, that "Commissioners wear this emblem between the emblem of office and the arrowhead honor."

Yah, over da years it's always amazed me that we can't manage to hire a continuity editor or two. For that matter, even a decent regular editor would be nice.

I think da attitude about the Insignia Guide is that it's a pet project of just da volunteers who care about such things. Folks that sometimes the paid pros roll their eyes at (along with da rest of us ;)). If yeh put all the self-annointed and wannabe uniform experts on that committee it keeps 'em out of everybody else's hair. And yeh end up with a muddled and confused document because there was more ego than edit at times. That's OK, the 90% of scouts and scouters continue about their business, and it gives all the uniform crowd somethin' to debate until they form the next committee. :)

Beavah

If the guide is in error, but the guide is the rule on how things are supposed to be- is the rule wrong or is the patch wrong or is the guide right and we have all been wrong all along but we can't be because we were all following the rules, but the rule is the guide and the guide is wrong.......

I think that I just created a paradox and tore a hole in the time-space continuum.

From the famous "Singing Flight Attendant" on SWA (she sang everything, including pre-flight instructions), circa 1997:

"We Love You, You Love Us

We're much faster than the bus,

and we hope you've enjoyed our hospitality.

Marry one of us, and you'll fly free!"

Since the local council office I go to does not have the new ICG, they will not order the new one until out of the old one, can someone tell me what color numbers CS leaders wear according to the new ICG? i've heard they still wear red and whites liek their charges by some, and I've been told they wear tan and green by others.