Uniform hat

While I agree with the "Miss Manners" answer, echo'd by my Drill Instructor also...

our CO expects to see the hats on, even in Church, with the exception of during prayer. Of course we're not often there in uniform for services except for Scout Sunday and as far as the current IH is concerned are "under arms" at that time. I guess definitions occasionally vary. :)

Now, to tie both of these thread together,

To Gunny,

Soldiers will render honors indoors ... when formally reporting to a Commander (personage, vice rank).

Also, if I am a battery commander, and I visit my Battalion Commander's office, I (I believe by custom and tradition) will render honors when I leave.

If I'm under arms with the service rifle, honors will either be Present Arms or the hand salute whilst slung weapon. If a pistol, simply the hand salute.

If I'm not under arms, simply the hand salute.

That make sense?

• 1 month later...

Started with the old folding hat in the early 70s. Hated it, ABSOLUTELY hated the beret, never owned one. Now of course Uncle Sam makes me wear one daily...Favorite was a Staff ball camp from summer camp. Older, wiser, less hair, I prefer a good booney cap for shade and protection. I do also like the Smokey Bear and/or green stetson...great place for pins from other councils, overseas units etc...