New epaulets and numbers on old shirt?

Wow. 8 uniforms! yikes, thats a lot of scouterphernalia! I bridged over into Boy Scouts in 1980, just when the DeLarenta Uniform change was made. I was lucky enough to get a hand-me-down olive uniform with the fold down pockets, collarless shirt, and envelope hat. I showed up at a meeting and... was totally embarrassed! Well, I got over it rapidly, but it put a small dent in me. Lucky for today's lads, the change is really minor. If the troop springs for epaulets and numbers, the kids can pretty much use whatever shirt they end up with. They will be tan, and will have collars and pockets, just not the cigarette pocket on the sleeve! Really, what is that for anyway? Compass? Ipod? flint and steel? Anybody have the official line on the pocket that will get sewn shut with the position patch on the left sleeve?

• 1 month later...

Jury is still out on the new uniform. I will be wearing one at Philmont this summer. I still have fond memories of my olive, fold down, red piping pocket pants and shorts from the early 70s. Liked the collared olive shirt too. Hated the collarless one, finally got rid of it to our lending closet a few years ago. Probably should have hung onto it though. Still wear an old late 70s Explorer shirt sometimes, but the buttons will hurt somebody shooting off the chest and belly regions if I'm not careful.....