New epaulets and numbers on old shirt?

While transitioning to the new uniform is it "legal" to where the new shoulder tabs and numerals on the old khaki shirt?

None of our scouts and none of our new crossovers have the new shirt yet but I imagine next year we will see the new shirts showing up. My inclination is to keep boys in the old uniform in the red epps and red numbers but had considered getting the epps and patches to effect a partial transition.

Curious what other are doing. In order to enforce some uniform consistency I don't want to look out and see some green and some red for the next few years and I don't want to tell scouts they have to go out and replace a perfectly good old-style uniform shirt.

All the literature says the new uniform and components are to be "mixed and matched" with the old unform parts so you could see new tabs (the epaulets are the cloth strappy thingies the tabs fit on)and the new numbers on an old shirt, its ok.

BTW, I heard rumblings the new shirt has gone over like the proverbial lead balloon and the replacement is underway. of course, I just want to the first to say so and then 15 years from now when a change occurs I can claim I knew it all along

What are we doing? Trying to get and keep the youth in the unform in any combination they wish(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

OGE is correct.

While I think we'd like the old stuff (red loops and red & white numbers) to only be used on the old shirts and the new stuff (olive loops and tan/olive numbers) on the new shirt, there is no rule that requires that.

I am hearing mixed things about the new shirt. I don't wear it (don't need to, being in Venturing), and frankly don't quite like the look of it (not sure what I don't like). Some seem to like it, others don't Heard complains about the way the 'BSA' strip is put on, so that might get changed.

I like the new uniform shirt a lot. To me, the fabric is a giant leap over the previous generation. My only negative feedback is that for a tall person such as myself, the tail of the shirt is not really long enough to stay tucked in. The shirt sizes are sort of strange, and the size that fit me previously is way too big, and the next size smaller is way too short.

-Melgamatic

I have the cotton blend shirt, and I like it much better than the old blend. I bought it a little larger than I should have, but the short tails are an issue.

A DE I know has complained about two things -- he has the nylon version, and says that it amplifies B.O. (reminds me of an old joke: "I smell something awful!", and the other guy says "You sure do!"). He also doesn't like the way the patch pockets sit on the portly types.

Guy

Yah, bs1964, if yeh really don't want a Christmas Tree mix of red & green in your unit, yeh really won't have much choice but to go with all green. Red tabs ain't available anymore.

I know a couple of units that just went ahead and bought all the lads green tabs to replace the red ones on their shirts (new and old). Looks fine. That's been the official guidance from Supply Division as well.

Most units are just lettin' folks do whatever, figurin' that the new will gradually replace the old in due course.

Adults seem to fall into two camps. Da first camp are either adopting the new uniform because they like it better or are adoptin' the new uniform because they feel it's the right example to set, especially for the new scouts who will be buyin' it. Da second group of adults is plannin' to hold on to the red tabs and 80s pants until they fall apart. They're a smaller but more ornery bunch. ;)

Beavah

I know of an ASM who has the delaRenta shirt (long sleeves, rolled up like BP says), green shoulder loops, green 'trained' patch and old-school red and white council shoulder patch above the red and white troop numerals.

Looks good.

I have recently purchased a new uniform and absolutely love it!!! The cotton blend fabric for both the shirt and pants are far superior over the old fabrics. Ditto for the fit. My one concern is the flag on the sleeve and the "Boy Scouts of America" over the pocket that seems to be some sort of plastic silk screen thing. They are going to fade, get scratched up and eventually flake off. I can't believe that using an actual patch and embrodiery would have increased the price enough to preclude them.

One of the debates going on right now among the Jambo committee and leadership is what will be required for Jambo and whether a combination will be permitted within our council.

Unless Supply has changed their policy, their policy is "satisfaction guaranteed," and they give a Lifetime warranty for stuff. When I was working in supply, we had a guy who had a 1960s pack that needed a new frame, one that was discontinued. My boss called her boss for advice, and we replaced the entire thing with a comparable backpack. Also had one guy come in with 4 pairs of knee socks that he bought just before summer camp, and after summer camp he returned all four for new ones sicne they all faded after 1 wash.

moral of the story is, if the new shirts have stuff coming off, return them.