Lengthen a Sash?

I can't believe I did this!! I finally got all those MBs sewed on the sash. My son was all ready for a board of review last night and low and behold, the sash is now too short!! Is there a practical way to lengthen it or am I destined to rip them all off and start sewing on a new sash?

I suppose you could buy another sash, then open the seam at the bottom of the old sash and add some from the new sash there.

Also, for a MB sash, wouldn't that glue work ok to attach the badges? I know the stuff ruins shirts, but you only wear the sash at ceremonial events and never wash it, so the badge goo might work fine.

Not that this will solve your problem, but for anyone else reading this, ALWAYS buy the longer sash, even for the three-foot-nothing 11 year old. He'll grow into it.

If you want to take the sash up until he gets taller, hem it at the bottom. Because of the angle, that's a little more difficult that hemming the top. If you hem the top, later when you let it back out, the badges will be too low on the sash. Of course you could add new badges along the top, but it seems like most kids want them in the order they are earned.

After your kind work of sewing the merit badges on -- it is his turn to sew them on the longer sash. Tried all sorts of other ways myself, new longer is the only way it really works. Situation was reversed for myself. Son asked if we should get the longer sash - me being not real bright at that moment said no. The following agreement was reached "if he out grew his sash, I would move and sew the merit badges on it" (He sewed on the MB on the shorter sash). He also waited until he had filled it (about 56) then told me "the sash is too short - I went ahead and picked up a longer one for you Dad" LOL

1) Buy the longer sash. (shoulda bought it first).

2) Take short sash, cut across the top of the sash, along the shoulder above the top merit badge row, and cut 1/2" below bottom MB row.

3) If you are a good seamstress, continue. If not, take #1 and #2 to your local dry cleaner. They might even do it for free, "Scouts".

4) Sew the shoulder end from the short one across the shoulder of the long one. The seam won't be as noticable if it is at the top of the sash. Sew along the edges and at the bottom. A neat job will not be noticable except close up. ==OR==

5) Cut the longer sash as appropriate and sew the two pieces together, top and bottom.

6) If you are really adventurous, you can cut the short sash further toward the back and BEHIND the bottom row of MBs so the bottom seam is covered by the badges.

YiS

Often quicker than transferring all the MBs.

SSScout that's terrific! I think this will work because the MBs are sewn very high (too high according to my son), so I've got some room to add some length by leaving more material above the top of the current row of badges (I think). I'm a decent sewer, so I'll give it a whirl. I'll let you know if it works out.

My Eagle son had to have a longer sash. He's 6'5". What we did is grandma, who is an excellant seamstress, combined two of the long sashes. Sure there was an extra seam in the back but better an extra seam then having a sash end 10" above his waist.

Find someone who does alterations and I'm sure they could combine two sashes without removing the badges may just have to reposition a few.

Ok, here's my solution.

1) Take the old sash and cut off above and below the top and bottom MB's.

2) Buy a new longer sash.

3) Take and unsew the top half of the top row of MB and unsew the bottom half of the bottom row of MB.

4) Fold the top and bottom under. Take the whole thing and superimpose on the new longer sash, sew top of top MB's on the new sash, same for the bottom, (now the seams are under the top and bottom row of MB's.

5) Go back and run both sides down the machine

6) take a few tack stitches at the MB junctures so that it lays flat (like a yarn tied quilt).

7) Get a cup of coffee and feel good about all the hassle you missed out on.

Stosh

I recommend the badge magic for the MB sash. As Gern said, it makes a mess of shirts but works fine for the sash.

BTW..Why don't they put a button hole in the top of the sash? It would hook to the shirt with the epilette button so the darn thing doesn't keep falling off these kids with no shoulders.