scout leader neckerchiefs

I was working on a leather program for the older cubbys to make neck slides. So I went to the Scout store and bought my self the Cub Leader neckerchief. got home and tried it on and the thing is TOO small..

less than two inches of fabric hanging out the slide. Talking about goofy looking.

They really should add some more fabric to these if adults are to wear them.

Frank

My troop also did custom neckers, so the leaders wore them as well. I agree that the SD neckers are a tad bit small. Thanks for the heads up as I was thinking about buying a CS leader one in the hopes that therye were bigger. I think I might stick with some of the ones I already own, especially the European ones. :)

As for why neckers are optional for leaders, I don't really know. I personally like the neckers as they are really associated with Scouts. I do know of one troop that enforces a neckware policy for all members, including adults, at their formal activities. Scouts in neckers, adults in ties. And they have a supply of ties that they lend out since they are no logner made.

My old troop also had the necker required for all members for COHs.

• 2 weeks later...

All my boys have dark burgundy, custom troop neckers. I also encourage (much to the chagrin of BSA policy) that the patrols have their own neckers. This makes it easy to see that everyone is supposed to be in the right spots at any time. My troop officers wear a Myers Flag necker and can be spotted by any of my scouts if they need to find senior scouts. I wear my WB necker or a green necktie along with a unique expedition hat so my boys know where I am in a crowd.

The troop wears the troop necker for all flags, and troop activities, but switch over to patrol neckers when functioning in camp. And yes, full uniform with necker is expected at all times at any scout activity.

Adults lead by example. I have WB necker, and troop necker along with my green tie for more formal/dress occasions.

Because our neckers are custom made, I purchase the material, cut and hem and then send them off for embroidery work. This way I can make larger sizes for those who need them longer.

Stosh

The Myers Flag neckers are of course square, but the embroidered troop neckers are triangular. We stuck with the triangular neckers for the troop because we can get twice as many out of a piece of cloth. The patrol neckers are what the boys want, that could be either way. If we make them triangular, we can still do the first aid thingy using the necker to duplicate the triangular bandage concept.

Stosh

I was talking with my Wood Badge course director the other night. He has one of the older WB neckers that are small. I did not realize that some WB neckers were of the smaller size. I like the large size much better.

My WB course elected to go with the Gilwell neckers and beads. The neckers are like horse blankets! Much larger and heavier-weight fabric than the US variety. As Eagle92 alluded, neckers in Europe are larger and generally nicer than those here. They are the one iconic piece of Scout uniforms you see kids wearing all over. Cutoff jeans, ABBA T-shirt and their Scout group necker. Because they wear them all the time I suspect the put a bit more effort and money into them.

Our troop also wears custom neckerchiefs. I just reordered two dozen for the upcoming new Scouts. Since I took the time to ask, our supplier supplier (Advantage Emblem -- Jenni is terrific) does, in fact, offer a larger size which we ordered. The older scouts and thick-necked adults will be able to up grade if they like.

• 2 months later...

Back when I was on a Waterfront Staff, one of the staff mom's made a Nautical themed neckerchief for the Waterfront Staff. I still wear that neckerchief sometimes. Take it to all the Staff reunions too.

Neckerchiefs are good examples of useful items that have evolved (devolved?)...originally both a uniform part and a functional item for the field, many barely fulfill either role now.

Glad to hear some troops out there are keeping the neckerchief spirit alive. I value my old neckerchiefs, and am very happy to see more folks using them than not in my new council.