Uniform knockoffs from China?

Ok I was in the local Walmart a few weeks back, and passing the outdoors department, I noticed hiking socks that i though were identical to the new uniform hiking socks. A few days later, I wore my uniform socks to compare, but they were sold out, being Christmas.

Now my wife went shopping yesterday there yesterday, and picked me up a pair of pants that are almost identical to the new uniform pants. Same zip off legs, same color, etc. Only difference was the cargo pockets were two cargo pockets, one outside the other, on the legs.

Now we all know how the ChiComs feel about copyright infringment, patent violations, and what not. Just ask ATT who had a bunch of their tech stolen in the 80s, and Microsoft who had their tech stolen in the late 90s, early 2000s to name a few. Also if you want cheap rip offs of valuable patches, well you know that the ChiComs also produce and sell those as well. I am constantly seeing ripp offs on ebay from a Chinese seller.

So is if this is the case, is there anythign that national can do about it?

Does anyone know where the new uniforms are made? If it's China, then nothing prevents the manufacturer to make a million more copies to sell to Wally-world...as long as the BSA trademarks are not on them. In fact, it would be a smart business move to keep costs down and increase profits. Most of the patches I've seen come from China now.

In 1996 I created a page of close-up photographs on our Troop Website that compared alternatives to official Scout pants. Our Troop switched from olive-drab BDUs to these olive-drab nylon zip-off cargo pants in 1997. This became the very first page of The Kudu Net! See:

http://kudu.net/uniforms/bdu.htm

As you can imagine the local Wood Badge Uniform Police swarmed down on me like angry hornets, but when I started wearing to National training courses my own version of what the BSA uniform should look like (our "Switchbacks" plus a REI breathable nylon shirt with all my BSA patches sewn on), it provoked interesting conversations with some of the BSA's highest "Gold Tabs."

One of them told me that he and other highly-placed BSA executives had (in 1997) already tried to introduce them as an official outdoor BSA uniform, but they had been blocked (presumably by the national uniform committee. This is why the "Centennial Uniform" is mix and match with the older butt-ugly dress-designer version--it is officially NOT a "new" uniform, which would have required the uniform committee's approval).

Kudu

Nice chart but it begs the question: why do they make Battle Dress Uniforms in child sizes?

Seriously, I have thought for a long time (based on strongly worded feedback from our scouts) that if the scout pants were either BDU or zip off cargos they would be a lot more popular. Glad BSA finally got the memo.

• 5 weeks later...

If I'm not mistake, (I have been on occasion), the original uniform of the BSA was rather identical to the US Army uniform with BSA logo & buttons on it. The source of the uniforms was easily accessible and there were companies out there that were already making them, keeping the cost for the boys down. I know the leggings were different than the US Army wraps, but for the most part it looks rather interchangable. Just be thankful that one doesn't have to buy the full uniform as they did back then when it consisted of campaign hat, shirt, tunic, pants, leggings and shoes. One would have a lot less boys in the program if the boys had to pay as much as they do to buy hockey uniforms or show choir costumes.

My Venturing boys have to spend around $1500 for all the equipment they need to be in the program.

Stosh

Yeah, it is disappointing seeing them switch to stuff made in China, but I guess it is a sign of the times. I also remember years ago the people at the local scout shop saying the reason the stuff is more expensive is cause it's made in the USA. Then again, Scouting is a world-wide movement.

At any rate, the whole point of wearing a uniform is that everybody looks the same, right? That's what the word "uniform" means. If you wear something different or modified, you are not in uniform.

"Actually the PRC does have the Hong Kong Scout Association, at least for next 40+ years that the treaty between them and UK signed. Heck they even tried to host a WSJ, but Japan won the bid."

True, a holdover from the British administration. I don't think it will spread outside of that municipality, or survive the guaranteed life span of the treaty. The Macau Scouting association is a good example of that.

"Since we now know that the new pants are Chinese and they might be at Wallyworld. Are they cheaper and can we convert them to save money switch a button or two. Please hold the torches"

If they are like the present pants, the only button with be the one closing the waist, the new pockets close with velcro. The only other "scout" item on the new pants are the fleur-de-lis on the leg zippers.