Wearing the 2008 Centennial Quality Unit Award

My Cub Scout Pack was just awarded the 2008 Centennial Quality Unit Award. Where does it go on the uniform?

I was told it goes on the right pocket. But that just doesn't look correct.

If anyone has an image of where to put this award, I would like to email it to the others in my pack.

From this website

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/2008_CQA_Recognition_form_14-238W.pdf

Individual Recognitions Available

Through Council or Scout Shop

Awards can be ordered from the Order Form for Units,

(No.14192).

Emblems:

If the unit qualifi es, you can order and purchase them

for your youth and adult members to wear on their

uniforms. If the unit is a 100% Boys Life unit, they can

order a special emblem. They are worn on the right

sleeve 4 inches down from the shoulder seam. (Only

the most recent earned emblem may be

worn on the uniform.)

Eagle92 is correct.

The booklet you need to have in your pack to answer these questions is the "Insignia Guide". You can buy a copy in your scout shop, and its now on-line: http://www.scouting.org/Media/InsigniaGuide.aspx

This page shows the placement of the QU patch on the cub scout uniform sleeve: http://www.scouting.org/media/insigniaguide/05.aspx

Quality unit patches have ALWAYS been worn on the sleeve for several decades. Has your Pack never received one?

• 1 month later...

For how long does this patch belong on the uniform?

Should it migrate off next year? (How do you get hot-glue out of khaki?)

If we earn QU again in 2009, do we swap them, or stack them?

I'm a new ignorant Wolf leader.

Thanks,

Joe

JoeBob,

The CQU patch may be worn until a new one is earned by the unit. If you earned it in 2008, but not in 2009, you may still wear it until the unit earns it again, hopefully 2010.

This is, however, one reason I do not recommend anything other than hand stitching of patches. I do not like "badge magic" or other products. I used to "tack" on patches with hemming tape amd stitched the patch, but that does not come out either, if ever you remove and do not replace the patch. But this has been discussed plenty in other threads, and I will not bore you with the details.

And welcome to the forum. It is always nice to have fresh blood--I mean a new face!

Technically you wear it until you earn a newer one. that's why I do not use Badge Bond, glue, etc on my uniforms, I sew them on, even if it takes me a year or longer to update all my uniform shirts

Man I still only have 2 shirts done and 5 more to go. Hopefully Once I'm finished with the wife's vintage uniform for her birthday, I'll get back on board with mine. ;)

THAT WAS FUNNY!!!!!!!!!

yeah I might be in the dog house as I got her a complete 1950s uniform in time for her birthday this year. She wanted it spread out over a year or more. But finding the pieces is pain in the buttocks, so as I saw them, I go them.

She is also getting a nice little trip to Lowes to get her rose bushes, another thing on her wish list.

I am glad you enjoyed the video. Puts some things into perspective.

My wife's birthday is mid-May and often falls on Mother's Day. About 4 years ago, she asked me for a single gift for each her b-day and M-Day. For the first, she asked for a cordless screwdriver, so she wouldn't have to go out to my workshop to find mine, and second, she asked for a (specific) camping table for the stove. I thought I had died and gone to heaven! But I did find myself looking around the corner suspiciously, hoping it was not a ruse to lure me into trouble. Luckily for me, she loved both and still uses them often.

Have fun with the wife's vintage uniform.

So, if you're supposed to wear the most recent Quality Unit Award for your unit, can you order, for example, 1998 Quality Unit Award patches for the unit to wear? I guess you can find them on Ebay, if you just need a few.

Not to complicate it, QU or CQU patches should only be worn by those who were members of the unit when it was earned. As an example, we had 6 Webelos cross over to our troop from 3 different packs. All 3 packs earned the 2008 CQU award, as did the troop. But none of these new scouts wear the 2008 CQU patch on their boy scout uniform because the were not boy scouts with our troop when the award was earned.

Does that make sense?

National Supply only stocks the most recent QU award, and they may have the prior year. After that, you'll need to go elsewhere.

Unless you were a member of the unit during the time they earned the QU, you really shouldn't wear it. And I wouldn't wear a QU that's too old, it would be embarrasing (what, your unit hasn't earned one in 5 years, etc?), so not sure why one would look for a 98 QU patch to wear.

When this was rolled out in the 70s as the honor unit award, the patches were about a third the size of the current Centennial QU patch, and you were allowed to wear previous ones. After a few years of it, when people started wearing every one (and about the time people were going to double rows), National said only wear the most recent one. Didn't stop some leaders who I'd see with double rows (about 6 or so).

the larger QU that replace them (about half the size of the Centennial QU) seemed to put a stop to that, as it was too difficult to wear in double rows...