Uniform Closet

Hi,

I don't want to re-invent the wheel and I'm pretty sure that my attempt at organizing a uniform closet has been done many times in the past, so I am hoping that someone can tell me how they have successfully done theirs.

We'd like to offer the parents a small credit toward their Pack dues in exchange for uniform pants and shirts, and hats in good condition. We are thinking about 5.00 for the shirt, 3.00 for the hats, 10.00 for the shirts.

We'd like to offer the new Scout parents who have a hard time purchasing a new uniform a chance to get one at a discounted cost, so we'd charge them 7.50-10.00 for the shirts, 15.00 for the pants and 5.00 for the hats.

Does that sound reasonable to you? How do you handle the new Scout parents who turn in the pieces at the end of the year? Do you give them the same discount that you gave the other parents?

Thanks for any help with this.....

Pack 28

A couple of times a year we request (i.e beg) that scout families donate outgrown uniform items and pack T-shirts back to the pack. At the first pack meeting of the year, we give them away to anyone who needs them. This system works well for us. This year we had more donations than ever.

Thanks AuntiePoo for your reply. I tried doing just as you do, earlier in the year and got no response. In fact, I then had another question thrown at me, and that was could the Pack offer a discount on Pack dues to families with multiple scouts? So, this was the solution to both issues that the Committee came up with. Offering a discount for those families who turn in good condition uniforms, and at the same time, helping out families with multiple scouts a small discount as it is, toward Pack dues.

We were hoping to solve both problems in a way that would benefit the boys in the Pack.

Pack 28 CC

When I first read about organizing a uniform closet, I thought you were talking about how to organize all your scouts in the closet. I assumed I was not the only one with more than half a dozen uniforms and more activity shirts; sometimes I disagree with my wife as to what hangs where...LOL. When I got to the second paragraph, I realized this was meant for a cub scout pack recycling uniforms. Oops.

But I can add to that also. We have a very small uniform cache with our pack, despite the fact that it has been discussed to expand it. We are able to turn around uniforms as soon as they are donated, and we do not charge if there is a family in need.

I do like your ideas about giving a dues discount. That's good. I will propose this to our committee next week.

Thanks Wingnut. I also have been scouring ebay and second hand stores in our area looking for pieces to buy to begin stocking the closet. I lost the bids on ebay, and one of them was a really good supply of shirts in various sizes....maybe next time.

We have scholarships for the registration fees, so we already cover that expense and Boys Life for the Scout if we have a need, so we thought that charging a small amount for the actual uniform would help "invest" the family in the Pack if you understand what I mean.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Pack 28 CC

Thanks Buffalo Skipper....we'd like to be able to give them the uniform pieces at no cost , but since we are just starting out, and we may be having to buy some from ebay or second hand stores, we may have to charge something for the pieces, but maybe we can lower the cost for that too.

I like the idea of giving the discount too, and we will do that if we can get our already existing members to actually donate things.

Cub Pack 28

CubPack28,

I was not suggesting you give away the items in your closet; I was simply relating that that was what we do.

We are blessed with good (anonymous) doners who keep our scholarship fund around $1000, and we are able to maintain 2-3 times that in our general fund. We buy all our pack's awards, put on a stylish Blue and Gold and we try to be generous with our scholarships. In the past 2 years, the school from which we draw our scouts has become more diverse, sepecially in the affluence of the families attending. With this in mind it is regretable that too many of our parents (even the ones who leave the pack "prematurely") are sentimental about their uniforms and rarely give them back to the pack.

I would be interested in seeing our pack's uniform closet grow. I have threatened to rearrange and build a more efficient rack, but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe I will have the time during the Christmas break....

Several years go, I stocked our Troop's "Trading Post" with a bunch of used uniforms that I found after visiting many, many, many thrift shops over the years. I spent hundred of dollars stocking the trading post.

Initially, I charged $5 for a uniform piece. Occassionally, someone would turn in a shirt or pants that their Scout had outgrown. I started getting more donation, so I stopped collecting fees and really stopped paying attention to the Trading Post.

The Trading Post is now completely empty.