Whittlin Patch, where can it go?

I have a scout's uniform that was given to me to sew the appropriate patches where they are to go, and add a few the scout recieved since he last was in a previous pack. My question is he sent with all the other patches ( pack number, bobcat, wolf,etc) a patch for whittlin. Is this a patch that goes on the right pocket or is this patch suppose to go somewhere else? I need to know that I can return it to the scout before our next meeting. And we have some scouts whose family doesn't put the right patches on the shirts and the boys come in with a B&G patch on his right sleeve, and other things like that. I know that the boys can have thier outdoor patch on the pocket cover for the right pocket. And I saw that the whittlin patch might fit on the bottom of the right pocket. Thanks for your help in this area.

Lori

It would be a good idea for you to invest in a copy of the Insignia Guide, if you don't already have one. It would really help you out in terms of placement.

As to the Whitlin' Chip patch. This is not an National patch, and doesn't have a particular location. So the catch-all location would be the right pocket. Realize that only 1 patch can go on the right pocket (one of the reasons many patches intended for this location will have a button loop, to make it easier to swap out patches for this location), so if you put it there, can't put another patch on the pocket unless you remove it.

I have seen this patch as both the "Whitlin Chip" and the "Whittling Chip"(this is what is shown on ScoutStuff.org). This is a national patch, item number 08598, http://tinyurl.com/6b7pao

Scout stuff states that is is not for uniform wear, but I do not have my insignia guide with me now. If it is truly not for uniform wear, then the appropriate place would be on a patch vest or patch blanket.(This message has been edited by click23)

"I know that the boys can have thier outdoor patch on the pocket cover for the right pocket."

You can't just go by what other people do. Check the Insignia Guide. You're doing the right thing by investigating. This "outdoor patch" you're referring to does not belong on a pocket flap.

BDPT00

Wrong.

The Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award patch most certainly goes on the FLAP of the right pocket. It's the only patch that a Cub Scout can put there.

The Whittlin/Whittling Chip patch does NOT go on any flap according to the Insignia Guide (regardless of the shape of the patch).

Put it on a patch blanket or vest.

Gaucho,

This is very anecdotal, but this i9s what I heard. Some pack or council came up with this patch and an embroidery company was making them. Someone at National Supply saw them on, saw the popularity of them, and came up with them. I personally hate them and the Totin Chip ones that national supply came up with.

yep national comes up with some crazy things. Those mentioned above are some of them, the AOL Buckle for the leather belt was anotehr one.

I do wish that the OA Lodge Chief and Chapter Chief patches would have been authorized and kept. I know a few folks who have originals, and reproductions abound :)

Where I live, I'm within 35 miles of 3 different Council offices and Scout Shops. At one of them, there's a wall of pictures of Eagle scouts from the Council. The majority of the Eagles have the Totin Chip on their uniforms on the LEFT pocket flap above their Eagle badge/medal.

Yes, exactly. In my last post, I guess I should have made clear that my Uniform Police siren was going off when I walked down the hall past all those pictures!

Regarding BSA literature, web sites and books with incorrect or impossible uniforms (i.e Wolf scout with a Bear badge on): that's always been a peeve of mine. Given the number of non-Scouters involved in a photo shoot, publication and editing (not to mention the small number of actual Scouters that double-check the Insignia Guide), I guess it's inevitable that mistakes will be made.

Its too bad they don't use Photoshop (or similiar) to fix the uniforming errors for BL, Scouting & the catalog.

Its not like they don't do it already. I noticed some strange alterations to the Venturing uniforms in the catalog that is obviously a PS fix/addition to bring some things up to date.

They could fix all the patches out of place, remove the sashes hanging off the belts, goofy shoulder loop nonsense.

You would wonder how the people photographed would feel when they see their picture in BL or Scouting, but all their uniform errors corrected. Wonder if they would get the message?

(but I guess I would be assuming the person doing the fixing does it right...)

I thought that the Whittling Chip patch could be worn on the right pocket as a temporary patch. I can't find the Whittling Chip under scouting.org, but I can find it at http://www.usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/whittlingchip.asp

The Official BSA Whittling Chip

for Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts

is a Wallet Card (No. 34223A) and/or Patch (08598)

The Whittling Chip patch is considered a "Temporary Patch" and, if worn, should be worn

centered on the RIGHT Pocket of the Cub Scout or Webelos Scout Uniform Shirt.

It should NOT be sewn on a pocket flap

I have heard of people sewing it on the pocket flap, but that obviously is not correct.