Recommend good hiking boots?

Realistically, you are probably going to need at least 2 pairs. A lightweight, over the ankle casual hiking pair (for day trips or mild terrain), and a heavier, potentially insulated, mid calf pair (for backpacking or rugged terrain). I have a 25 year old pair of Redwings (re-soled twice) for my heavy pair and a newer, vibram sole Columbia pair for my lighweights. I would recommend both brands. Also have a pair of Tevas for canoe shoes that are great. 2 of the 3 shoes came from the deep discount bin at Famous Footwear, if you have that chain by you. Can you say 60% off!

I wear White's Boots Smokejumpers in the outdoors. They are a handmade boot and comfortable enough for firefighters to wear in the mountains day in, day out fighting fire. I have a steel toe and soft toe pair of Smokejumpers. I also have a pair of White's Packers. They are 13, 10, and 2 years old respectively.

I've never had to "break in" a pair of Whites, as they are naturally comfortable, except they are so supportive in the arch they are weird at first if you have never worn them. The White's are all 100% factory rebuildable so it will be the last pair of boots you'll ever need. No, they are not a "hiking boot" by design, but they are some of the best hiking boots you'll ever find. Price is a little over $400 and worth every penny.

http://whitesboots.com/store/Whites_Boots.php(This message has been edited by GMitch)

I don't recommend brands anymore. They come and go, constantly.

I do recommend visiting an outfitter (REI/Cabela's/Bass Pro/LL Bean (if you're in Freeport ME)) OR

visiting a store specializing in work/field boots (RedWing comes to mind).

Talk with the salesman about the kind of walking you're going to do. They'll point you to all manner of boots, and help you fit them!

I have had my Vasque Whitneys since 1972 and I still share wonderful experiences with them. I hope to be wearing them for my burial.

My advice: don't buy them online. Try them on and make sure they fit well. Be willing to pay the price. In the long run it will be worth it.

Edited part: I need to add that I also have a pair of really nice medium-weight boots by Raichle. For light duty I just wear cross-trainers.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

I've had a pair of L.L. Bean leather Gore-Tex day hikers for the last two years, and I highly recommend them. They're mid-weight (about 3 pounds for the pair) and provide good ankle support. So far, on many day hikes and a few short weekend backpacking trips, they've been absolutely waterproof.

That said, all of my Scout hiking in the 80s (Philmont, Susquehannock Trail, and many many shorter backpacking trips) was in a pair of $25 Kmart work boots that I waterproofed myself.(This message has been edited by jethro)

"That said, all of my Scout hiking in the 80s (Philmont, Susquehannock Trail, and many many shorter backpacking trips) was in a pair of $25 Kmart work boots that I waterproofed myself."

Back in the 80s, your feet were younger AND those $25 work boots were made much better than today's $25 boots.

The comfort and support. If you can find those two in an inexpensive pair of boots, go for it. Just be aware that you might be replacing them much sooner than you'd replace a more expensive pair of boots.

Ha, before I even saw Jethro's post I'd planned on coming on here are recommend the L.L. Bean Cresta Hiker. I have the all leather model, and really really like the fit and feel. They are a mid-weight boot, so I can see why some might like the lighter-weight Day Hiker.

The only thing I think I'd like better on the Cresta Hiker is if they had a toe cap to protect the toe ... like the L.L. Bean Day Hiker has(that's the ironic part).

Ken K.

One important thing to remember is that brands differ in how they fit individuals. I can take just about any pair of 10.5 Nike shoes and they fit like they were made for me. Addidas, never found a pair that worked.

In the refereeing world, Converse is a big name. They even have a shoe called "The Runnin' Ref." Since that shoe is included in many packages for new refs, many refs wear them. Converse just don't fit my feet so I opted to wear Nike shoes for reffing. A common occurance was my partner would ask why I wasn't wearing "official shoes." All that's required is that they are black but there was the perception that Converse were special. I'd say, "they just don't fit." A frequent response to that was "waddaya mean, they fit me just fine!"

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of Vasques to hike in at Philmont in April'06, and I'm heading back to Philmont next July and I will be wearing the same pair from '06. After reading the 20 year plus testimonies from other Vasque wearers, I'm glad I own a pair and WONT need to buy another pair for at least 27 more years (at which time I'll be 77, but hopefully still able to ruck up and hit the trail).

I have never suffered a blister wearing (and hiking) in my Vasques.