Green Venturing BSA Strip

Does anyone know if National Supply sells the green "Venturing BSA" strip seperate form the uniform, or does anyone have one that they want to get rid of? I am looking to change over an older Exploring shirt to a Venturing shirt to give to someone.

Thanks.

Trust me just get a new shirt as the strip is a different shade of green. Not much difference, but very noticeable. So i just kept my strip off the shirt and wear it with the gray pants. Most people don't even notice that my shirt says Exploring BSA

"Does anyone know if National Supply sells the green "Venturing BSA" strip seperate form the uniform,"

National Supply made these strips available after the program was rolled out in 1998, so that those of us with the prior uniform could changed the strips.

AFAIK, they didn't sell them, but would mail them to you if requested.

This was only done during the first year, and they are probably long gone. But you could also call them and ask.

Thanks emb, they do still have them. They are not free, and they tried to rip me off for $7.50 shipping. I tried to talk them into a $.42 stamp and an envelope to no avail. After complaining rather sternly about the amount of money I have spent with them and the regular order volume coming to my place, I convinced them that ripping me off for $7.50 shpping on a $2 item was bad business. Somehow the girl agreed and I paid $1.70 shipping.

I'm not sure on Eagle's input on the color being off with the strip, but we will see. This Exploring shirt is new with tags and has never been washed. I hope it is a close match. It is not for me but for a leader friend of mine anyhow. I don't think he'll complain.

• 2 years later...

"Our scout camp uses the Venturing Shirt for staff positions."

Properly, your scout camp should only do that if they register all the staff as part of a venturing crew. Do they??

"However we are not Venturing Scouts"

Uh, no one is. There is no such thing as a "venturing scout". The correct term is "Venturer".

"my question is: is there a Green Venturing "Boy Scout of America" strip? "

Actually, yes. For a period of time, the shirt strip on the dark green shirt said "Boy Scouts of America".

Rev,

#1 WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

#2 EMB is correct in that every camp in the USA I've been affiliated with or attended had 99.999% of the staff registered as part of the summer camp Venturing Crew ( or Exploring Post prior to 1998), including military folks on TDY and seminarians doing chaplain duties for the summer. Only time I ever saw otherwise was when national was experimenting with having scout shops run summer camp trading posts, and then the 2 of us were employees of national, not members of the crew.

#3 Be advised that Venturing terminology is very important for some folks. Part of that is Venturing tends to be the redheaded step child at national, and even pros do not get it correct. And the changes National made seem to confirm how misunerstood Venturing is at national. Just as some folks get very defensive about Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, some are very protective of Venturing. And EMB is probably the #2 or #3 person in the nation with respect to knowledge on Venturing.

Rev,

Greetings!

Great responses from Emb and Eagle92. I think they defined the red "Boy Scouts of America" on darker green fabric, more than answering your question. I've seen just a few of those shirts about 20 years ago.

Are there currently green shirts with "Boy Scouts of America" embroidered or a green embroidered strip to purchase. No. Not currently.

Maybe older shirts on ebay, maybe local embroidery shops, but Scoutstuff does not sell that style shirt any more (nor a green strip to sew over it). It would be nice if BSA Supply and Scoutstore offered it. But for now, No.. No Boy Scouts of America Strip on green cloth.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)

I checked my info.

When the BSA rolled out the green shirt from 1985 to 1990, the strips said "Boy Scouts of America". You're only way of finding such a shirt would be eBay.

Just prior to the rollout of Venturing, the shirts said "Exploring BSA".

Again, I would ask is your camp staff registered as a Venturing Crews. As noted, many camps do that (mine does). So you may actually be part of a Venturing Crew without knowing it.

I just realized something.

Sea Scouts buy a "Sea Scouts BSA" strip for their shirts.

Venturing has "Venturing BSA" already on their uniform.

Boy Scouts have "Boy Scouts of America" ironed on.

So why do Cub Scouts have "Boy Scouts of America" instead of "Cub Scouts BSA" :(

Cubs get shortchanged yet again . LOL

Keep in mind that "Boy Scouts of America" refers to our organization, not the Boy Scout program. This can be confusing to some when they hear "Boy Scouts". Do we mean the program or the org?

So Boy Scouts shirt has the org name NOT the program. But at one time it said "Scouts BSA".

And at the begining, Cub Scouts' shirts said "Cubbing" and the like before going to "Boy Scouts of America".