Eagle Scout Rank Patch wear after age 18

Thanks @@Cleveland Rocks ! ... I better check with my Troop(s) before purchasing the Eagle knot at Council store then.  Sorry, but what is this CSP you give them? and are the extra mentor and grandparent pins sold at council stores?  thx

Our council sells many different Council Shoulder Patches beyond the "standard issue" one.  One of those is one that has the council name and "Eagle Scout" on it. We purchase and give one to each Eagle at their ECOH.

We (the troop) is able to purchase the square knot at the time of purchasing the Eagle Kit because it all goes together, and they know it's for that Eagle. Otherwise, you'd have to present Eagle credentials in order to purchase the knot.  I had to bring in my NESA Life Member certificate when I purchased the NESA Life Member Eagle knot for my uniform.

The extra mentor and new Grandparent pins are available at Scout Stores and online at scoutstuff.org.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I too earned my Eagle at the zero hour before my 18th birthday.   This was due to procrastination and laziness.  I earned Life by the age of 16 and then dragged my feat on my project and 2 merit badge

I note, @@The Black Eagle (welcome by the way), that you seem to hold a great deal of resentment towards this issue, and that you seem especially zealous to make your point - lots of capital letters a

Posted Images

Thank you for the very kind comments @@Stosh ! ....I'm actually the Proud Mom (LoL) but Dad is Super Proud too!  They are Wonderful young men!  :D

@<3My2Eagles  Sorry for the gender confusion, seems to be some of that floating around this forum lately.  I may have assumed the wrong gender, but I know for a fact that moms are just as proud as dads when it comes to having done such a good job of raising great kids.  Well done!  Congrats!

• Upvote 1

Ok. Thank you @@qwazse for info. I should be receiving the boys NESA registration soon.

I probably should know this...but, What is AoL knot? :/

Arrow of Light ... In case your boys were in Cub Scouts and earned it. Edited by qwazse
  • 5 months later...

OK... my first post.

I agree the Eagle Rank should not be worn on the adult uniform.  There is an Eagle knot for adult leaders and it is against the rules.   Full stop.

However....  I see two distinct situations here:

1)  The 19+ year old who is now a registered adult leader:   He should abide by regulations and only wear the Eagle knot.  Full stop.

2) The 19-21 year olds who come back from college, pull out their old uniform for one night and attend a COH wearing their old BSA uniform with the Eagle rank.

We need to extend these young men some GRACE by:

• focusing on welcoming them back for a visit at the Court of Honor
  • taking interest in what they have been doing since graduating H.S.
  • keeping our mouth's shut even though we know they are no longer registered and/or should not be wearing the Eagle rank patch.

It's one night only.  If they start showing up regularly wearing the uniform, then they need to register and wear the Eagle knot.

Remember:  A Scout (and Scout Leaders) are also: Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Cheerful

Side note:  I will admit though, it would be kind of cool if adult leaders could wear on the Red Jac-Shirt the Eagle rank on the left pocket (in place of the generic BSA patch).

Edited by AgingEagle

I agree with Aging Eagle...my sons both Eagled and the COH was after their 18th birthday. They were awarded their badge and it was pinned on their well worn Class A uniform for the ceremony and pictures. It was then retired for posterity (because that is important for scout moms). Thereafter they wore a new shirt with the appropriate Eagle, AOL, and OA Knots after they did their YPT and are now registered as adults.

32 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I agree with Aging Eagle...my sons both Eagled and the COH was after their 18th birthday. They were awarded their badge and it was pinned on their well worn Class A uniform for the ceremony and pictures. It was then retired for posterity (because that is important for scout moms). Thereafter they wore a new shirt with the appropriate Eagle, AOL, and OA Knots after they did their YPT and are now registered as adults.

OA knots? What do they signify?

7 hours ago, an_old_DC said:

OA knots? What do they signify?

DSA, Distinguished Service Award, is the only OA knot I have ever heard of, but it almost as rare as the Silver Buffalo. You won’t see many of those around.

it is awarded for distinguished service at the sectional level or higher, and usually represents national service.

Good looking knot, with red background and white knot.

Edited by HelpfulTracks
7 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

DSA, Distinguished Service Award, is the only OA knot I have ever heard of, but it almost as rare as the Silver Buffalo. You won’t see many of those around.

Yes, that is the only “official” OA knot I know of. Although some people have made unofficial knots that are novelties and not for wear on the uniform. 

30 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I only know what I saw at my Council store: Order of the Arrow Knots for Ordeal, Brotherhood, or Vigil members. You had to show your ID to get them. If this is a rogue uniform move I do not know.

Yes, in fact those are expressly verboten (read Officially discouraged) by the OA. Any difference in level is not allowed (read Officially discouraged) in flaps. The only items that can be distinctive to level are the sash and for vigil a device on the dangle.

I have seen temporary patches like mini sashes,  I am not sure if those are approved, discouraged or if National just turns a blind eye.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, HelpfulTracks said:

Yes, in fact those are expressly verboten (read Officially discouraged) by the OA. Any difference in level is not allowed (read Officially discouraged) in flaps. The only items that can be distinctive to level are the sash and for vigil a device on the dangle.

I have seen temporary patches like mini sashes,  I am not sure if those are approved, discouraged or if National just turns a blind eye.

I have been given different length ribbons for the device on Ordeal vs Brotherhood. And everyone wearing their different sashes kind of emphasizes 'levels'.

• 4 weeks later...

So for some reason it only just occurred to me that I had the Eagle badge on my uniform and wore it while 18. I think it was just the last 3 months of high school, so we're talking about the occasional troop meeting and maybe a camping trip. And then to my brother's COH a few months after that. In my defense, I had no idea about the rule, and had someone told me, I would have immediately brought my uniform up to code.

I kind of like the idea of including the square knot in the Eagle kit for a COH. Sometimes maybe it seems like Eagle is the end of the road for the older scouts, especially those who Eagle close to 18. But that square knot could serve as a sort of invitation to come back and stick with it into adulthood. 

At the very least, it would have let a scout like me know that once you hit 18, it's off with the rank badge and on with the square knot. :D

At one time I know Explorers, and later Venturers, could wear the Eagle patch until 21. Saw many 18-20 year olds in my post do just that. Way before my time, Sea Scouts could wear Eagle too. In fact they made a navy blue background and a white background Eagle patch just for them.