kraut-60

Eagle Scout Rank Patch wear after age 18

15 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

At one time I know Explorers, and later Venturers, could wear the Eagle patch until 21. Saw many 18-20 year olds in my post do just that. Way before my time, Sea Scouts could wear Eagle too. In fact they made a navy blue background and a white background Eagle patch just for them.

I am in Venturing and this is still true. I can wear my Eagle patch until 21 on this uniform. If I wear a Boy Scout shirt as a registered leader or college reserve I can only wear the Eagle knot. If I work at a council camp and am not a Venturer I can only wear the knot since only registered Venturers (boys) can wear the Eagle patch. I can wear the Eagle neckerchief with any uniform. 

I wouldn't use the wording "only the knot," since the knot is still an honorable indication of rank. I think part of the problem here is that people seem to have disparaging views on the Eagle knot, as though only the actual rank patch was really good enough. Why is this? Is it because it's bigger and flashier? Is it the attention we are craving? The knot is just as honorable as the rank patch. And if one really is starved for attention, there are the neckerchiefs, the slides, the belt buckles - goodness knows a hundred other ways to advertise that you are an Eagle Scout if that's what you want. Why people get hung up over the rank patch is frankly pointless to me. 

And if you really do insist on wearing the darn thing, get your Eagle earlier so you have time to wear it longer. Although I got my Eagle at 14 and I couldn't have cared two figs about whether people noticed my patches or not. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

I wouldn't use the wording "only the knot," since the knot is still an honorable indication of rank. I think part of the problem here is that people seem to have disparaging views on the Eagle knot, as though only the actual rank patch was really good enough. Why is this? Is it because it's bigger and flashier? Is it the attention we are craving? The knot is just as honorable as the rank patch. And if one really is starved for attention, there are the neckerchiefs, the slides, the belt buckles - goodness knows a hundred other ways to advertise that you are an Eagle Scout if that's what you want. Why people get hung up over the rank patch is frankly pointless to me. 

And if you really do insist on wearing the darn thing, get your Eagle earlier so you have time to wear it longer. Although I got my Eagle at 14 and I couldn't have cared two figs about whether people noticed my patches or not. :rolleyes:

I meant only the knot to differentiate between the badge and the knot and wearing both which is a no no. 

• Upvote 1