Eagle Scout Rank Patch wear after age 18

I really like this approach, giving parents detailed info about leadership. Might have to borrow this idea from you. :)

You mean you want to appropriate it?  :D  Why not? We borrowed it from someone else too.

On our website we have "trained" patches next to the SMs, OA next to OA, etc. We even put the training resumes on the site so folks can see. This is included in the pdf file we distribute during the open house. It really helps cut down on the common questions during open house and allows the parents to see their kids having fun instead.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I too earned my Eagle at the zero hour before my 18th birthday.   This was due to procrastination and laziness.  I earned Life by the age of 16 and then dragged my feat on my project and 2 merit badge

I note, @@The Black Eagle (welcome by the way), that you seem to hold a great deal of resentment towards this issue, and that you seem especially zealous to make your point - lots of capital letters a

Posted Images

I agree the more training the better, especially for Troops, Ships, and Crews.  But brand new Cub parents may not know what's up, or may find out the little training needed to be a Cub leader. The knots tell them someone has a clue as to what is going on :)

Not necessarily.  :)

• Upvote 1

Not necessarily.  :)

Oh I agree. I know I made mistakes. Biggest one was when I was a brand new DL, I sometimes treated them as Boy Scouts and expected them to act like Boy Scouts. Then get upset when they didn't meet the expectation. MISTAKE!

• Upvote 1

Oh I agree. I know I made mistakes. Biggest one was when I was a brand new DL, I sometimes treated them as Boy Scouts and expected them to act like Boy Scouts. Then get upset when they didn't meet the expectation. MISTAKE!

big mistake.  mistake i made for the first 6 months. I've since adjusted my expectations, and things have been moving along nicely. 

My bigger issue on this point is--it's difficult enough for an 18 yo scouter to be considered and respected as an adult leader by the boys in the troop. Why make it more difficult by wearing the same uniform they wore as a youth?

My lesser issue is that some things are reserved for the youth and some things for the adults. Kind of a privilege kind of thing. So let the boys enjoy wearing their rank patches and let the adults enjoy wearing their knots.

My bizarro issue, what you going to do when some adult wants to wear his Star or Life rank patch? Or maybe they just don't like the look of the empty pocket and start sewing the Scout rank patch on there?

Still, all in all, I don't have much of an issue with any of these scenarios.

• 3 months later...

New to Scouter.com. and Never did a Forum before. :confused: ...

But, I was in search of answers for an upcoming Eagle Ceremony that I am having for my two boys and this site popped up!  I see that there are a lot of knowledgeable individuals on here! My boys Eagled 2 1/2 years apart from one another. (Due to some family illnesses,etc we were not able at that time to have a ceremony for my first boy.)  Now, my second son just Eagled, and I am Excited to hold One Ceremony for them both! (from 2 different Troops) ...

~ Questions:  They both were very close to their 18th birthday when they Eagled, so, they have not had the chance to wear their Eagle Patch :(​  (as everyone is discussing here.) I have not had the ceremony yet, so my boys do not have the Medal or a knot.

~ I believe that I will take their Portrait pics with an Eagle Patch on their pocket to have at the Ceremony.

However, are they to have NOTHING on their pocket for the Ceremony?

Son #1 just turned 21 and son #2 Just turned 18.  I'm confused.

~ I did just sign them up for N.E.S.A., so I guess they can wear that pin?... and I need to order the Neckerchief, but what is the difference between the Blue one or the White one?

I will appreciate any and all opinions. Thank you.

Welcome!

Enjoy the fun time with the ceremony.

Bottom line: it's the boys' court of honor. Thus, it's theirs to plan down to when the patches go on and off.

Our opinions on the matter just don't matter all that much.

I'm looking at Son #1's portrait right now (age 18 at the time), and the eagle medal is pinned on his his pocket, which still has a life patch sewn on it. He's wearing the red, white, and, blue necker with the least expensive slide.

I don't know where Son #2's portrait is (third child syndrome), but they pretty much look like twins 6 years apart.

Edited by qwazse

~ Questions:  They both were very close to their 18th birthday when they Eagled, so, they have not had the chance to wear their Eagle Patch :(​  (as everyone is discussing here.) I have not had the ceremony yet, so my boys do not have the Medal or a knot.

~ I believe that I will take their Portrait pics with an Eagle Patch on their pocket to have at the Ceremony.

However, are they to have NOTHING on their pocket for the Ceremony?

Son #1 just turned 21 and son #2 Just turned 18.  I'm confused.

~ I did just sign them up for N.E.S.A., so I guess they can wear that pin?... and I need to order the Neckerchief, but what is the difference between the Blue one or the White one?

• Wearing Eagle Patch: BSA guidelines say that Eagles in Boy Scouts cannot wear the patch after they turn 18. Eagles in Venturing CAN wear the patch until they are 21. After 18 in Boy Scouts and 21 in Venturing, Eagles wear the Eagle knot. That said, there's nothing wrong with sewing the patch on and taking an Eagle portrait after the ceremony.

• Eagle COH Portraits: Since you are usually a Life Scout when you attend your Eagle COH (though you are technically an Eagle after national approves your application) one would not expect him to be wearing his Eagle rank for a portrait. Although there may be circumstances where Eagle is given prior to the COH. Most Scouts are wearing their Life rank at their Eagle COH. There's no BSA Uniform Police that are going to jail you for sewing on the Eagle patch, taking a pic and then sewing back on his Life patch. I must say it would be VERY odd for someone who is 21 to be wearing the Boy Scout uniform with an Eagle already on it.

• Eagle Neckerchiefs: The blue necker is what Eagles Scouts are awarded. This can be worn at any time by an Eagle Scout, even as an adult, though they would not wear the Eagle patch, but rather the Eagle knot. The white necker is what NESA members can wear at any time. Both youth and adult members can wear the NESA necker.

Here's some info on wearing the Eagle medal. Here's another on when exactly you become an Eagle Scout.

This should help answer your questions.

Edited by Col. Flagg

Ditto what Col. Flagg said.  I would add:  

You mentioned TWO different Troops.  Make sure to include the Scoutmasters in the ceremonies.  Ask around to other parents (make a call to the District Eagle Coordinator) about  possible scenarios.  Who makes the speeches?  Who leads?  Who MC's?  Eagle Charge? What version (there are several).    I personally do not see a problem with wearing the uniform (if they can still fit into it !)  for the ceremony and evening festivities and photos. 

Congratulations to your Scouts.   When they are ready, they will "come back" to Scouting.  Give them a nice send off into adulthood.  

See you on the trail...

Welcome!

Enjoy the fun time with the ceremony.

Bottom line: it's the boys' court of honor. Thus, it's theirs to plan down to when the patches go on and off.

Our opinions on the matter just don't matter all that much.

I'm looking at Son #1's portrait right now (age 18 at the time), and the eagle medal is pinned on his his pocket, which still has a life patch sewn on it. He's wearing the red, white, and, blue necker with the least expensive slide.

I don't know where Son #2's portrait is (third child syndrome), but they pretty much look like twins 6 years apart.

I am very much looking forward to it!  Thank you for your opinions on this matter!  and...CoNgRaTs on your Eagles!  :)

• Wearing Eagle Patch: BSA guidelines say that Eagles in Boy Scouts cannot wear the patch after they turn 18. Eagles in Venturing CAN wear the patch until they are 21. After 18 in Boy Scouts and 21 in Venturing, Eagles wear the Eagle knot. That said, there's nothing wrong with sewing the patch on and taking an Eagle portrait after the ceremony.

• Eagle COH Portraits: Since you are usually a Life Scout when you attend your Eagle COH (though you are technically an Eagle after national approves your application) one would not expect him to be wearing his Eagle rank for a portrait. Although there may be circumstances where Eagle is given prior to the COH. Most Scouts are wearing their Life rank at their Eagle COH. There's no BSA Uniform Police that are going to jail you for sewing on the Eagle patch, taking a pic and then sewing back on his Life patch. I must say it would be VERY odd for someone who is 21 to be wearing the Boy Scout uniform with an Eagle already on it.

• Eagle Neckerchiefs: The blue necker is what Eagles Scouts are awarded. This can be worn at any time by an Eagle Scout, even as an adult, though they would not wear the Eagle patch, but rather the Eagle knot. The white necker is what NESA members can wear at any time. Both youth and adult members can wear the NESA necker.

Here's some info on wearing the Eagle medal. Here's another on when exactly you become an Eagle Scout.

This should help answer your questions.

Thank you Col. Flagg for all of the information and opinions.  Very Helpful! ... One more question:  Where and When do the boys get the Eagle Knot? at Ceremony or just from the Troop.? Thx!!

Ditto what Col. Flagg said.  I would add:  

You mentioned TWO different Troops.  Make sure to include the Scoutmasters in the ceremonies.  Ask around to other parents (make a call to the District Eagle Coordinator) about  possible scenarios.  Who makes the speeches?  Who leads?  Who MC's?  Eagle Charge? What version (there are several).    I personally do not see a problem with wearing the uniform (if they can still fit into it !)  for the ceremony and evening festivities and photos. 

Congratulations to your Scouts.   When they are ready, they will "come back" to Scouting.  Give them a nice send off into adulthood.  

See you on the trail...

Thank you for your input!  Yes, we are going to have both Scout Masters involved with different parts of the Ceremony. (We know it will be a little more challenging with incorporating the 2 troops but we feel it will be fine!) ... I am HaPPy to say that my son(#2) has done all of his clearances to stay involved as an adult Asst. Scout Master :) ... Thank you for your opinions and time!!  :)