Eagle Scout Rank Patch wear after age 18

Just an aside ...

I'm studying the Troop Leadership Training manual. In the back are position-specific cards for youth leaders in the troop. Every single one says, as part of the job description: "Wear the Scout uniform correctly."

To me, that's black and white. We have a guide that explains what "correctly" is. Any variation from that guide, according to the UP or anyone else who cares or is paying attention, is incorrect. The space between correct and incorrect is the gray area we discuss here. It's large and varied, but the direction given in the TLT manual is pretty clear to me. I choose to "do my best" to follow it.

BDPT00

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I too earned my Eagle at the zero hour before my 18th birthday.   This was due to procrastination and laziness.  I earned Life by the age of 16 and then dragged my feat on my project and 2 merit badge

I note, @@The Black Eagle (welcome by the way), that you seem to hold a great deal of resentment towards this issue, and that you seem especially zealous to make your point - lots of capital letters a

Posted Images

BDPT,

While I agree with you 99.9999%, there are a few challenges I see to the IG.

#1 it does not retain older uniform regs, i.e. older insignia, that can still be worn on the uniform. Good example is those folks wearing an old Leadership Corps patch on the right pocket of their red jac shirts.

#2 lack of uniformity with other official BSA publications, see the uniform inpection sheet about ALL CS leaders and female Scout and Venturing leaders being able to wear temp insignia in the jambo spot. And let's not forget the differecnes in info from the Centennial Uniform brochure and the current IG, which leads to

#3 Was not printed in time to coinincide with the release of the Centennial Uniform, 5 words: Unit numbers and trained strips. Minor detail, you bet. BUT it ticked alot of folks off, inlcuding yours truly.

#4 Is not updated enough to include "newer" insignia, see the post above about what the IG is missing in reference to backpatches.

Yes I too believe uniforming is important. And I do wish there was 1 source of uniform information from which all other sources must use. unfortunately that is not the case at this time.

Now to get back on topic.

Yes I am an Eagle, class of 1992

DEPENDS, if adults wear the patch or not. I say let adults 18-21 wear it, just like their Venturing brethen. BUT at 21, wear the knot. I say that b/c 9/10 of the time, the younger scouts do look up to those older scouts as examples and heros, and seeing that Eagle patch, more so than a knot, does help motivate folks.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading much of the discussions, I went to the Venturing Handbook. On page 68, right column near the bottom, it states: A venture who has earned the Eagle Rank, can continue to wear the Eagle Patch until thier 21. So It is not in the BSA Insignia Guide but it is in the Venture Handbook that allows them to wear the Eagle Badge/patch until they age out at 21..

The Insignia Guide is quite clear about who is permitted to wear rank badges:

"Badges of rank are for youth members. In Scouting, the advancement program is intended for youth members only. Scouters should neither seek awards designed for youth members nor wear them on the Scouter uniform except for square knots ..."

The definition of "youth" and "Scouter" may be found elsewhere.

Of course if a unit wants to do otherwise, they can justify it by writing it into their "bylaws". Heh heh heh.

Just follow the rules.

Personnally, I couldn't wait until I could wear the knot.

As far as the original posting is concerned, if that person would like to see a change to the IG and have that modified, I would bet that BSA Supply and the Manual Folks would love to have someone volunteer to update the IG. In fact, it would be awesome if someone put together a historical IG that includes all of uniforms past. It could include socks, garters, shorts, trousers, men's and womens, et cetera. How about a how to guide that shows how to incorporate older uniforms into current wear. I think it would be great to see a collarless shirt from yesteryear worn with the centennial trousers. It could also discuss the the proper wear of the uniform, especially fit.

Any takers?

It really amazes me how much furor has been created and how so many defer to the IG like it is the Holy Bible, which it is not. Those pontificating uniform police in this forum need to look at the original question and ask themselves, with all the problems the BSA is facing today is this really an issue that should even matter at all? Insignia Guidelines are just that guidelines, not rules or bylaws, they are not mandates or commands, so to you UP out there get over yourselves already and put that energy to better use like maybe improving the quality of your unit program.

I hate the term uniform police! If you are going to wear the uniform you need to wear it properly, its that simple. After 18 you wear the square knot like all other adults or not; that is your choice. But you do not have a choice to wear the patch on your pocket. I was able to wear the patch for about 9 months then I eagerly switched over to the square knot to complete my journey.

"Those pontificating uniform police in this forum need to look at the original question and ask themselves, with all the problems the BSA is facing today is this really an issue that should even matter at all?"

*** Those who look at the original question are sharing their answers and opinions ... directly concerning the question. I don't see a problem with that.

"Insignia Guidelines are just that guidelines, not rules or bylaws, they are not mandates or commands"

*** Which clearly means that if I choose to wear a Chicago Cubs patch on my left pocket, that's OK with you, right? It's my uniform, and I can do as I wish.

BDPT00

Oh Frank you and Brent are two of the biggest pontificators on this forum, both of you never think outside the box, and both of you think that all the guidelines are indeed Gospel. Personally it doesn't ever bother me to see an adult with an Eagle badge on his uniform, he EARNED it after all and who are we to say otherwise. IMHO all those knots look more like para military insignia instead of scouting awards. Time to move on boys, lol.

1. I'm not in favor of this idea

2. I am an Eagle Scout, class of 1983

If a youth wants to wear the youth Eagle Scout insignia longer he should but his lazy rump in gear. I Earned my eagle in 1983, I was fifteen. I was the first eagle from my troop, which was not a young troop - we were far from an eagle machine. The path to eagle is difficult, as it should be, but does not take eight years if the candidate is focused and on the ball.

An adult leader who is an eagle is an inspiration to the youth, but should not be who the boys look to for leadership - this is why the subtle square knot.

83 Eagle that decision may be fine for you but you do not have the right to dictate your ideas on others, wait till you have been here a while to better understand what I mean. It still all amounts to much adoo about nothing, a knot vs a small circle patch, lets get real here people. Besides when it comes right down to it who really cares.

BadenP, I'm not making a decision for anyone, merely expressing my opinion. My opinion means no more or less than that of anyone else.

The point I'm trying to make is twofold:

1. Each youth controls the time line of his scouting progress by the measure of his efforts and the degree of his devotion.

2. Youth Eagle Scouts stand upon a pedestal, whether they like it or not, and immediately become the role model for other youth. When an Eagle Scout turns 18 he needs to step away from that spotlight, allowing others to stand as the example for young men closer to their own age.

By no means do I suggest adults should be less proud, fade away, or be less of a leader, just a different type of leader. I wear my the red, white, and blue, with pride and humility, nearly three decades after earning eagle scout. However, I stand behind those who have came after, ready to lend a steadying hand or word.

The badge and medal are trinkets, trophies, in a game. It is what the game makes of us that is enduring.

I only hope that those who stand in the lime light today will be there for those that come after.

• 4 years later...

Recently re-entered scouting and was shocked to discover all the changes regarding the Eagle badge. Will make this short and sweet. When did these rules come about by removing the Eagle badge from the uniforms of most of the Eagle Scouts? Most are over the age of 18. What is the mindset that is wiping out the supreme goal of Scouting? Eagle is for life and the boys should see the badge as often as possible. As mentioned above, it does not belong with all the other "adult merit badges". The only square knots I recall as a youth were the Eagle, the Beaver and the Antelope. Indeed, they all deserve to be grouped together. The other awards adults receive hardly match up to the esteem of those three Overall, only 2% of the total of all scouts ever made Eagle. They should NEVER be made to remove the badge. I will not.