Eagle Scout Rank Patch wear after age 18

I'm one of those who has never been able to wear my Eagle badge because I wasn't able to have my Court of Honor until after I finished my freshman year in college (and had turned 18). I've worn the square knot ever since then and am okay with that.

I was a Scout during the late 70s/early 80s and contrary to so many others here, I can't recall seeing any Eagles wearing their badges over the age of 18. Perhaps it's because I was essentially on hiatus from Scouting while I was in college (I attended some meetings during the summer of freshman and sophomore years but not as many as I would have liked to), perhaps it was just that we didn't have that many 18-25 year olds active in Scouting in my council.

When I see an adult with a Scout rank badge, I quietly remind them it's not approved in the BSA uniform guidelines. Most don't know these things and I've never run into anyone who took offense. There are an awful lot of people (including Eagle Scouts) who have never read the Insignia Guide. As for those who would knowingly violate this rule ... I disagree with them but it just doesn't bother me that much. There are certainly worse violations in Boy Scouts or even in Boy Scout uniforming.

There are plenty of other ways to show the Scouts you're an Eagle. You can still wear the Eagle belt buckles or neckerchiefs. In my experience, boys and other adults learn very quickly who the Eagles are.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I too earned my Eagle at the zero hour before my 18th birthday.   This was due to procrastination and laziness.  I earned Life by the age of 16 and then dragged my feat on my project and 2 merit badge

I note, @@The Black Eagle (welcome by the way), that you seem to hold a great deal of resentment towards this issue, and that you seem especially zealous to make your point - lots of capital letters a

Posted Images

1. no..... however, I don't get too worked up about it. I had by Eagle BOR just before turning 18 and never wore the rank patch. My son just also completed his Eagle rank (barely made it as well). I would have like to have been able to wear the rank patch and maybe earn a palm ot two. I did not manage the calendar well enough to accomplish that.

2. yes... 1987

After thinking about this issue, I realized that I did not get to wear my Webelos badge for more then a month before I became a Boy Scout. I'm going to sew my Webelos badge on my adult uniform tonight. My only question is should I also sew on my Bobcat since you have to earn the Bobcat first before any other badge can be earned in CS?

Mark M.

My oldest son, and Eagle scout, earned the Paul Bunyon award ('axe patch'). He was very proud of it and was the first one to earn it in his troop for quite some time. As his father and also his Scoutmaster, he asked me where it should go on his uniform. It told him that it didn't belong on his uniform but he could sew it on his backpack, duffle bag, blanket, etc. He was disappointed and finally made a decision to sew in above his left pocket. I didn't get ballistic. He didn't accuse me of being anal and bowing to the whim of guides. He was proud of it and I must say it did generate questions from other Scouts in the troop asking how they could earn that patch and inspired a few to do the same (good news). When they did earn the award, it promptly went on their uniform in the same place for surely if the Scoutsmaster's son could do it, they could too (bad news). I later talked to my son about setting an example, good and bad, and I think he took it too heart.

He earned his Eagle on his 17th birthday and earned palms every quarter until he was 18. At 18, he was jacked to "grow-up" and I presented him a new shirt with an ASM patch, Eagle knot and of course no rank insignia. He was very proud to were that shirt and had no issue with not having his youth rank insignia. By the way, it didn't have a Paul Bunyan award either. :)

Has anyone ever seen a Scouter wear an Eagle rank badge as a temporary patch? I believe that would be okay wrt the insignia guide.

BadenP, I don't understand why you have to mock BDPT00 that way just because you disagree with him. He's already stated several times why he doesn't agree with this idea so he HAS presented a logical reasoned argument -- it just happens to be one you disagree with. I for one haven't seen any good reasons presented on why the Insignia Guide and policy should be amended. It's not going to bug me much if a few individuals choose to rebel but it doesn't mean I agree with them.

BadenP,

I'm glad I can bring a smile to your face.

ACCO40 wasn't asking for a voice of reason, of understanding, or a logical discussion. He was asking if it was ok with the Insignia Guide to wear a rank patch on the right pocket.

No.

By the way, was yours a voice of logical discussion?

BDPT00

Hi Nike:

There is a jacket sized NESA emblem that is approved for Red-Jac Shirt wear, and could also be sewn onto the red nylon wind breaker.

Recently the National supply came out with a series of "jumbo" rank emblems, roughly the size of a dinner plate. They were intended as gifts or craft projects such as the section of a quilt, or throw pillows, and of course blankets and equipment. I'm sure some have even used them in creation of some very nice ceremonies for courts of honor.

If that is the emblem you are speaking of, then, no - it is not intended for wear on the center of the red wool jac-shirt.

NESA, and the Order of the Arrow, have "officially" "authorized" the red-jac shirt with their respective back patches as "official" equipment for members of those organizations.

CT,

When the Jumbo Rank came out in 2000 or 2001 (dates are getting fuzzy with age), they were authorized for wear on the back of jackets. There was a supply memo on that b/c the jumbo patches started out as a custom job with one store that became so popular national picked up on the idea adn made it a stock item.

Eagle92,

Your statement is interesting but I have never hear this before. Where do you get this information from? I'm sorry but I never believe anything unless its from an official document. I guess, this comes from me being in the army for four years.

Mark M.

Understand the skepticism and have no problems with it. The information I was told came from an internal BSA supply document sent to the managers, who told us.

Looking up the good ole IG on http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/03.aspx

I noticed the following:

Jackets and Their Insignia

Multicolored jackets in nylon, wool, and poplin are available for optional wear by youth members and adult leaders. The universal emblem should be worn on the left pocket or, in case of a jacket without chest pockets, in the same area. The Philmont bull emblem is especially designed for the red wool jac-shirt to be sewn on the left side above the pocket. On all jackets the Philmont Scout Ranch, Philmont Training Center, or high-adventure base emblems may be worn centered on the right pocket or in the same relative position if there is no pocket. The Order of the Arrow has adopted the jac-shirt as its official jacket, and members may wear the �6-inch national Order of the Arrow patch centered on the back. The large Philmont, NESA, jamboree, National Camping School, Scout�master Award of Merit, and international par�ticipant emblems are approved to be worn on the back of the jacket. Only one such emblem may be worn at a time. The Venture/Varsity �letter may be worn on the center of the right side of the red or blaze nylon or poplin jacket. In all cases, the lightweight jacket is an alternate for the jac-shirt, and this insignia may be worn on it in the same way.

What I find interesting is that the passage omits the Loon and Shark or Conch of N Tier and and Seabase for wear in place of the bull. Also there is no mention of the 50 Miler backpatch, NOAC backpatches, the HA backpatches etc. I don't see that this passage gets updated as it should.

if the husband is unconfortable wearing it, then by all means take it off. Me personally as long as it is 1 patch on the back, I'ld be ok with it.

So do I need to turn in my UP badge now?

Eagle92, I can't speak on behalf of the UP since I'm not a member, but my hunch is yes, you'll have to submit your resignation from the UP.

Your common sense, flexibility, gentlemanly demeanor, and good humor will probably make you ineligible from further service in that august organization.

My deepest condolences!

Desertrat77