Eagle Scout Rank Patch wear after age 18

Eagle92, I get it now re the pin, thanks for the clarification.

Memory can be a tricky thing, but I just don't remember people getting so up in arms about the minor details of uniforming back in the day. As a scout, I remember the emphasis on full uniforming, but there was always room for some individual creativity/eccentricity. In my Philmont trek group photo (late 70s), my SM is front/center, wearing the oval Eagle patch on his uniform. Such practice wasn't common, but it wasn't uncommon either.

So we have strong feelings on the subject, pro and con. Healthy discussion. However, uniforming rules are not holy writ. Some rules are to be followed to the letter, like safety, etc. Uniforming rules, on the other hand, are administrative matters, and should be open to discussion, revision, and also provide leeway for individual options, particularly in a volunteer organization.

It is interesting to note that at least in this thread, it's the Eagle patch that is the lightning rod. An adult scouter can cover his/her uniform shirt with every doo dad known to mankind, yet it's perfectly within the bounds of the "rules" and accepted practice...but that little oval red/white/blue patch is forbidden....

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I too earned my Eagle at the zero hour before my 18th birthday.   This was due to procrastination and laziness.  I earned Life by the age of 16 and then dragged my feat on my project and 2 merit badge

I note, @@The Black Eagle (welcome by the way), that you seem to hold a great deal of resentment towards this issue, and that you seem especially zealous to make your point - lots of capital letters a

Posted Images

Desert,

I hear ya. I can go either way on the patch, just wish they woulod have 1 standard policy for all 18-21 yos, instead of the 2 policies, i.e. no for Scouters 18-21, yes for Venturers.

As for all the dew dads, not a personal fan of them myself

"An adult scouter can cover his/her uniform shirt with every doo dad known to mankind, yet it's perfectly within the bounds of the "rules" and accepted practice"

I can't agree with that. I've seen all the doo dads, but if they're not within the insignia guidelines, they're not accepted practice for those who choose to comply and to set the example for proper uniforming.

BDPT00

My experience as a scout was similar to that of desertrat. Late 70s early 80s. I often saw the Eagle patch on camp staff or OA members over 21. No one thought anything wrong about it.

I kinda thought it was interesting to see Eagle patches from different time periods.

BDPT00, good catch, agreed, pls consider the following re-write of that sentence:

The rules allow a multitude of patches and other doo dads...an adult scouter, following these rules, can legally have a shirt covered with patches, dangles, etc. However, the Eagle patch, or whatever the former scout rank held, is forbidden. I find it interesting that given the hundreds of doo dads an adult can wear (and some adults try to wear them all!), only their former advancement patch is expressly forbidden.

Are we worried about "stealing recognition" from the scouts? If we already had uncluttered uniforms, I could buy that. But go to any district or council event, and tell me who has more stuff on their uniforms--scouters or scouts?

Personally, I wouldn't wear my old rank patch...but I sure support the concept of allowing the individual choice.

Anyone can do whatever they want with regards to the uniform and insignia, and they do. There may even be "support" from other Scouters, and justification conjured up too in one's mind. Just don't look for any support from BSA.

"Uniforming rules for the most part are administrative matters and should be open to discussion." - desertrat

I agree with you there, the wearing of an Eagle patch by an adult on his uniform should not only be allowed but encouraged if for nothing else as a source of inspiration to young scouts. The Eagle patch is an attention getter and discussion starter whereas the knot just gets lost among all the others, but knots are a whole other topic. Only the "uniform police" are the ones who ever seem to get upset about it, but their only rebuttal is that the BSA pub says no, hardly justifying their position.

As a youth I reached the rank of Life scout and as an adult boy scout ASM & SM, DE, and Venturing Advisor I have always worn a small Life pin on the pocket flap of my uniforms, for a special personal reason. In over 25 years of scouting service not one scouter volunteer or professional scouter has ever objected or told me I was breaking the rules for wearing that pin. Sometimes we as an organization become buried in the myriad of rules and regs of the BSA, and I think the arguments should be saved for the big important issues and not wasted on minor things like a cloth patch. We need to focus on the big vision of Baden Powell and other scouting pioneers had for the scouting program and not on our own petty objections.

FScouter wrote: "Anyone can do whatever they want with regards to the uniform and insignia, and they do."

*** That's no different than saying that "Everybody speeds, so it's not really breaking any laws." "Everybody else cheats, so it's OK."

And BadenP writes: "Only the 'uniform police' are the ones who ever seem to get upset about it," as well as "I have always worn a small Life pin on the pocket flap of my uniforms, for a special personal reason. In over 25 years of scouting service not one scouter volunteer or professional scouter has ever objected or told me I was breaking the rules for wearing that pin."

*** It's clear than that the uniform police aren't in your face. Everybody whines about the mythical police. It's like another urban legend.

I will repeat my position... The Insignia Guide exists for a reason, and a big part of that reason is uniformity. I happen to be one who chooses to follow the guidelines. One who intentionally chooses to not follow them and encourages others to do the same (most often by example) doesn't get my support regarding uniforming.

BDPT00

BDPT00& FScouter

By your own posts I would classify both of you as perfect examples of the so called "mythical uniform police", your heads are so buried in the uniform guidebook you don't realize how ridiculous your arguments sound or do you give any really valid reasons why a single cloth patch would topple the pillars of BSA uniforming, after all thats what we are talking about here, a single small cloth patch, not a whole uniform. Remember the old saying "you are only as big as the things that get you upset, don't sweat the small stuff".

How in the world can following the guidelines be called ridiculous?

Attacking me for going along with the requested uniforming says what about me? And what does it say about you?

"do you give any really valid reasons why a single cloth patch would topple the pillars of BSA uniforming"

*** Wow! Were those my words?

I correct uniforming in my own unit, so sashes aren't worn over the left shoulder or on a belt, and that hats come off at appropriate times, and shirts are tucked in. I've seen rank patches upside down. I take care of it in a very subtle manner, so I don't bruise egos. Is that worthy of ridicule? I think not. You obviously think otherwise, and that's your choice. Not my problem.

I hope that someday you get your wish and somebody asks, so you can make your statement about that pin on your shirt. 25 years is a long to to wait for nothing. Don't wait for me. I won't ask.

BDPT00

Yeah, it always seems to come down to "it's only a patch", and a rude dismissal of anyone that adheres to the norm.

These topics always start with someone that knows what is right yet is looking for support from others to buck the system.

Why pray, do some folks get so dang indignant about their "right" to do their own "thing", to wear a silly cloth patch from their boyhood? Staple it to your forehead if it makes you feel whole, but don't expect the rest of the world to bless you for doing so. Just DO IT!

Frank

The only one being indignant here is yourself. Your intolerance of others opinions manifests itself down to the trivial like this topic. No one here is saying break all the rules, you are way to quick to misinterpret what has been stated here. All I have to say to you Frank is to chill out, life is way too short to get so wound up over such little things.

True, the insignia guide is very specific about the Eagle square not being for adults, and the rank patch being for youth. If an adult, for personal reasons, wants to violate the terms of the insignia guide and wear his Eagle rank patch, I'm not going to get all upset over it.