Eagle Scout Rank Patch wear after age 18

We need to stop using the terms youth and adults, because that has different meanings in different BSA programs and in life. The relevant terms here are Scout and Scouter. I don't think any medical book has defined either.

And I think you misunderstood scoutldr's use of "scouts". I don't think he wasn't referring to 18 year old ASMs. I think he was making a general statement about setting a poor example to scouts when scouters ignore "absurd" BSA policies.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I too earned my Eagle at the zero hour before my 18th birthday.   This was due to procrastination and laziness.  I earned Life by the age of 16 and then dragged my feat on my project and 2 merit badge

I note, @@The Black Eagle (welcome by the way), that you seem to hold a great deal of resentment towards this issue, and that you seem especially zealous to make your point - lots of capital letters a

Posted Images

Policies do change overtime. One example is that at one time, adults could earn Eagle. Also all Eagles could wear their patch.

I have mixed emotions on wearing the patch. yes it would be nice, especially since I got Eagle after my 18th birthday. My troop didn't have a problem with Scouters wearing it for a year after their ECOH.

At the stage of the game I am in, and Scouting is a game, I don't care one way or the other. I know I will continue to get asked about my eagle no matter what, and hopefully inspire a few scouts along the way.

"Scouting is a game"

Yup. Absolutely true. And like any other game, this one has some rules.

On a different note, one troop I serve as their UC will be having their first Eagle COH in years, and I think the SM is the only scouter still around since the last one. I had to remind the CC that he and the other Scouters who earned Eagle (4 in all) could and should where their medals at the ECOH if they can find them.

Nolesrule,

Good luck with getting them to wear thei medals. We have a few folks in my district who have lost their medals. Also have a few who believe, incorrectly as we all know, that since they are adults, they cannot wear their eagle medal. Silver Beaver adn Adult religious, no problem wearing, Eagle, won't wear it.

Well, the CC told me he has his, and thanked me for mentioning it because he didn't know he could. I have no idea about the others, but all of these Scouter Eagles are proud of their accomplishment and I'd say would likely wear theirs if they have them.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

1. No

2. Eagle, 1979. Passed Board of Review the night before turning 18. Exactly 30 years ago yesterday.

I have a question for the forum: I am heading to an Eagle COH in two days, and I am faced with a choice:

1. Wear the medal on my suit.

2. Move my last Council & Troop's insignia to a new, suitably sized uniform that would have a 6-yr service star, World Scouting Badge, OA ribbon, interpreter strips and Eagle Medal. There are three Eagles being promoted that evening.

The above is consistent with the recently-published Insignia Guide

What are your thoughts?(This message has been edited by cjvallejos)

cjvallejos,

If you are currently registered wear the council patch and unit number of your current registration.

If you are not currently registered wear your suit.

And whichever you wear make sure you wear the Eagle medal.

• 1 month later...

I believe that any Eagle Scout should have the right to wear the Eagle patch on their uniform into their adulthood - 18 or over. The knots should represent an award earned as an adult. Boy Scouts are allowed to wear their Arrow of Light patch on their uniform, even though that is earned as a Webelos and not as a Boy Scout. Same should be true for the Eagle Patch. Everyone that knows anything about the Eagle Scout recognizes the patch, but not everyone recognizes the Eagle knot, nor do most people even see it. My son earned Eagle and continues to wear his patch on the uniform shirt of the troop that he earned Eagle in - now he's an ASM there. He does wear the knot in another troop that he is an ASM for in another state. But, he won't give up that Eagle patch on his "home troop's shirt". And, I won't sew on the knot...no laziness...just stubborn and proud!!!

"I believe that any Eagle Scout should have the right to wear the Eagle patch on their uniform into their adulthood - 18 or over. The knots should represent an award earned as an adult. Boy Scouts are allowed to wear their Arrow of Light patch on their uniform, even though that is earned as a Webelos and not as a Boy Scout. Same should be true for the Eagle Patch."

Uh, that IS the policy. Wear the patch until you turn 18, then wear the knot.

"I believe that any Eagle Scout should have the right to wear the Eagle patch on their uniform into their adulthood - 18 or over. The knots should represent an award earned as an adult. Boy Scouts are allowed to wear their Arrow of Light patch on their uniform, even though that is earned as a Webelos and not as a Boy Scout. Same should be true for the Eagle Patch."

Uh, that IS the policy. Wear the patch until you turn 18, then wear the knot.

Read what I wrote closer..."wear the Eagle patch on their uniform into adulthood - 18 or over". That's not the current policy. Talking about the patch, NOT the knot.

"I believe that any Eagle Scout should have the right to wear the Eagle patch on their uniform into their adulthood - 18 or over.....My son earned Eagle and continues to wear his patch on the uniform shirt of the troop that he earned Eagle in - now he's an ASM there."

It is your right to believe as you wish. However that is NOT the current BSA insignia policy. As an Eagle Scout, I would think your son would remember the Scout Law. Something about a Scout being Trustworthy and Obedient?

There are a number of ways, along with wearing the Eagle Scout Knot, that your son can show he is an Eagle Scout. He can wear the NESA emblem on his right pocket. There is also an Eagle bolo, belt buckle, necker, and slide. All of which are allowed by the BSA Insignia Guide.

"The knots should represent an award earned as an adult. Boy Scouts are allowed to wear their Arrow of Light patch on their uniform, even though that is earned as a Webelos and not as a Boy Scout."

Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts are both youth programs, which is why the youth emblem is allowed. An adult Scouter is no longer in the youth program. Adults are not allowed to wear youth insignia, including the Arrow of Light. However, there is, like for the Eagle Rank, a square knot that adult Scouters who have earned the AOL can wear. There are also other knots for adults that represent awards earned as a youth.