Eagle Scout Rank Patch wear after age 18

1. Yes, and I'm in favor of being able to wear it, period, if you earned it. Why? Yes, those in the organization know what the red, white, & blue square knot stands for, but those outside of scouting do not. If I could wear my Eagle Badge (there's your answer to #2--1988) at all times, it would save a lot of "Oh, you're a scout leader...are you an Eagle Scout?"

A lot of youth, especially new youth, and cubbies, don't know what the knots mean either. Seeing that their leaders who are Eagles wearing their Eagle Badges would help inspire those youth.

Just my three cents (inflation) worth.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I too earned my Eagle at the zero hour before my 18th birthday.   This was due to procrastination and laziness.  I earned Life by the age of 16 and then dragged my feat on my project and 2 merit badge

I note, @@The Black Eagle (welcome by the way), that you seem to hold a great deal of resentment towards this issue, and that you seem especially zealous to make your point - lots of capital letters a

Posted Images

#1 Yes...as the originator of this thread, I would like to see Eagle Scouts be able to wear the cloth insignia on the left shirt pocket from age 18-21...I feel the knot is adequate for Eagles older than 21.

#2 No...I am Star Scout from 1974 (still proud to have made 1st class under the old requirements).

1. No.

2. Yes, Eagle Class of 1979.

I answered the questions as posed, but I wanted to add my two bits:

a) If the Eagle rank patch *were* allowed to be worn until 21, then I'd ask why not all other ranks until 21?

b) If part of the reason for some voting "yes" to question 1 is that others don't understand the significance of the square knot, then maybe it's more a question of educating others than revamping the insignia guide.

A few years ago I had a scout in my troop tell me after he received Eagle two months before his 18th birthday that he was disappointed he couldn't wear his Eagle rank patch after 18. He knew there was the "tiny" (his word) knot insignia. I told him that there are many adults in Scouting who would be only too happy to wear the tiny knot if they could go back in time and do some things differently, and that he should proudly wear that knot to show he is an adult Eagle instead of a youth Eagle. I encouraged him to see the change in the patch as a further indication of his maturation into an adult who can give back to Scouting since youth CANNOT wear that knot.

Some might call this "spinning," but two months later when I warmly congratulated him on becoming an adult ASM, he wanted to know where to get that knot! YMMV

• 1 month later...

The 70-year old Scouter who wears his Eagle badge is not incorrect, contrary to popular opinion. In fact, Ben Love proudly wore HIS Eagle Scout patch when he was Chief Scout Executive in the 1980s - check out his photos. Unlike Star, Life, etc., Eagle Scout is not merely a "youth rank" discarded at age 18: it is a lifetime award, which is why it is appropriate for an adult of any age to say, "I am an Eagle Scout", not "I was an Eagle Scout". Besides, you're still a "youth" and not an adult in OA and Venturing until 21 anyway

"Besides, you're still a "youth" and not an adult in OA and Venturing until 21 anyway"

The OA slant is irrelevant, if you are 18 or older, you must be a registered Venturer or Scouter as far as the OA is concerned. If a Venturer, then you could wear the rank badge, if a Scouter, the square knot.

The 70-year old Scouter who wears his Eagle badge is not incorrect, contrary to popular opinion.

** I'd love to see that one in writing.

In fact, Ben Love proudly wore HIS Eagle Scout patch when he was Chief Scout Executive in the 1980s - check out his photos.

** I haven't seen such a picture, but is that meant to prove something?

Unlike Star, Life, etc., Eagle Scout is not merely a "youth rank" discarded at age 18: it is a lifetime award,

** Another thing that would be interesting to see in writing.

BDPT00

I agree with Beavah it's not worth fightin' over.

On the other hand, 18 is 18.

HooHah, set a better example.

The 70 yr old guy is wearing it on a hat and not the shirt, clearly, shouldn't be worn on the hat, but he is volunteering at SEVENTY!!!! Let the old guy slide, and no, there isn't some arbitrary age to let old guys "slide", just know when to "pick your battles"

Make it a great day!

Hello to fellow scouter dot com posters, I've been busy over the last year! I hope to post more often,

Gonzo1

"survey"

1 No

2 Yes, 1980(This message has been edited by gonzo1)

I told him that there are many adults in Scouting who would be only too happy to wear the tiny knot if they could go back in time and do some things differently.

I've considered leaving the middle of the bottom row empty for my "Regret Knot".

• 2 months later...

Eagle Scout here, class of '06. As most people on here, I have more than one uniform. The uniform I wore as a youth has the Eagle Scout badge on it, simply because my mother sewed it on there and I haven't taken it off yet. I have another uniform that has the eagle knot on it because I bought it shortly after turning 18 and I got excited to wear knots. I have ANOTHER uniform that is completely blank, and thats actually the one I end up wearing most often. Do I sometimes wear my older uniform with the Eagle Badge on it? Sure do. Do the uniform police complain about it? Sure do. Do I care? not really. (the only time I would is if the camp director I work for asked me to, but he has more important things to do than than worry about if a 19yo staff member has his uniform 100% ship shape.)

1. Yes...and I'd expand it to allow adults who earned rank of any kind as a scout to wear their highest rank as long as they like. Why? Most scouts have no idea what those knots mean, which is probably just as well in the long run. But they respect leaders who are former scouts, regardless of what rank they earned.

And I wonder sometimes at the "Eagle or Nothing" philosophy. I know many former First Class, Star and Life scouts...I would stack them up against an Eagle any day, in any aspect of scouting, specifically in dedicated service and representing scouting's ideals.

2. Eagle, 1977

1. No

2. Eagle, 1994

I can somewhat understand why some would argue to allow Eagle, but I still disagree with it. But other rank patches, whatever the highest? What if they were former Cub Scouts who dropped out after Bear? Should they wear the Bobcat/Wolf/Bear w/ arrow points on their uniforms if that was the highest scouting rank they earned?

Rank badges are for youth to wear, not for adults to relive their scouting days or identifying with current scouts. Do you really need to wear an old rank badge to be able to talk to youth about your scouting experience?

• 2 weeks later...