Eagle Scout Rank Patch wear after age 18

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I too earned my Eagle at the zero hour before my 18th birthday.   This was due to procrastination and laziness.  I earned Life by the age of 16 and then dragged my feat on my project and 2 merit badge

I note, @@The Black Eagle (welcome by the way), that you seem to hold a great deal of resentment towards this issue, and that you seem especially zealous to make your point - lots of capital letters a

Posted Images

I just wrote a brief article (http://www.scoutingnews.org/2008/11/09/bsa-innovation-engine/) about the BSA innovation Engine, one of the ideas on the site (suggested by a professional) was changes to the Eagle Scout Insignia Usage (http://ideas.scouting.org/akira/dtd/5511-2119). Basically they suggested that Eagle Scouts of all ages wear the Eagle Scout emblem. So far there have been 8 votes for and 60 votes against.

My "survey" response:

1. No

2. Eagle '97

I was at a camporee a couple weeks ago and I ran in to a gentleman in his 70's with an Indiana Jones (BSA Stampede I think) type hat. On the front was sewn an Eagle rank patch.

Being an engineer type it went against my grain. My mind spun about how to let this very nice old Scouter who is still volunteering into 70's know he was not being a good example.

I simply let it go because you he was proud to be an Eagle Scout. I think it was better for him to show the Scouts that he was proud of his 60 year old accomplishment than to hid the fact under his coat on a uniform shirt.

Do I think anyone should wear the Eagle rank patch after he has turned 18 years old. No.

Should an Eagle Scout where his rank patch anywhere but on his left shirt pocket. No.

Should there be a way for a proud Eagle to display it. I certainly think so. I would love to see an oval patch like the one on my red jack-shirt that was for Eagle Scouts to use to replace the BSA one that is on the left pocket. An oval patch that was similar enough to the rank patch that could be worn on other apparel that was identifiable to all from a distance that the wearer is an Eagle Scout.

1) Nay

2) Eagle Scout 1980

"I was at a camporee a couple weeks ago and I ran in to a gentleman in his 70's with an Indiana Jones (BSA Stampede I think) type hat. On the front was sewn an Eagle rank patch."

He could have just been following the old rules. I've read that in olden days, an Eagle could wear his patch no matter what his age.

1. No. (And why only the Eagle badge? Does this imply that a Life Scout is something insignificant? What's the message?) If 21, why not 25 or 26? Then we could be more in-line with British youth.

We're a uniformed organization. I like to wear red socks. Would it have been OK to wear them when I was in the Army? Why not? They're comfortable and funtional, and most people wouldn't care or know the difference anyway. Maybe if enough other people wore them, too, it might become a new regulation. It's my uniform. Why should somebody else care?

2. No (Does that become an issue, too?)

BDPT00

1. No. There is a red, white and blue knot for wear on the uniform by an adult. Why isn't that enough?

2. 1980. Court of Honor was after my 18th birthday. I wore my uniform with my life patch during the court of honor, which I now know to be incorrect (it was five days after my 18th birthday). After the ceremony put the Eagle patch on the shirt where it remains to this day. Never wore the shirt since (got a new uniform - that's when they changed the last time.)

"We're a uniformed organization. I like to wear red socks. Would it have been OK to wear them when I was in the Army? Why not? They're comfortable and funtional, and most people wouldn't care or know the difference anyway."

Huh? What's this have to do with the question at hand?

"1. No. There is a red, white and blue knot for wear on the uniform by an adult. Why isn't that enough?"

An 18 to 20 year old Scouter is in limbo. He can't sit on the committee, he can't be an SM, all he can do is be ASM. Aren't there other restrictions as well, like he can't be the primary leader indicated on a trip permit?

18, 19, and 20 year old are in limbo in our society. They can vote but they can't drink. They can join the army but they can't buy a pistol. Many police forces won't take 18 year old applicants but they can join the fire department.

"Huh? What's this have to do with the question at hand?

18, 19, and 20 year old are in limbo in our society. They can vote but they can't drink. They can join the army but they can't buy a pistol. Many police forces won't take 18 year old applicants but they can join the fire department."

Well, GW, this is probably a mistake, bit I'll ask you the same question. What's YOUR point?

I was talking about uniforming and people just doing what they feel like because they think they have a better idea or that rules don't matter.

BDPT00

I think it's important to remember that Scouting is a game. A game meant to be fun. My point is that as Gold Winger seems to be implying, the 18-21 year old is not really quite a man yet. In a lot of ways, he is still a boy.

I am not suggesting anyone break the rules, only that we consider whether it might make the program stronger by changing them. My sole focus in Scouting is to make the program fun for the boys. If you do that, you will surely achieve the goals intended.

BDPT00, it is certainly not an issue whether you are an Eagle or not. I'll share with you my reason for asking my question. My experience is that those of us who do wear the Eagle feel very strongly about it. We know how much it means to have that badge pinned on our chest. For that reason, I am sypathetic to letting those 18-21 year olds wear it until they really are recognized as "men". I was interested to see how many of my fellow Eagles feel the same.

As to why only the Eagle Badge? Simple. Those young men have reached the pinnacle of Scouting. They are a very small brotherhood who stand separate from all other Scouts and are "marked for life". Elite? Yes. Elitest? No.

!. Yes.

My Eagle badge is on a blue beret that I wear to this day in the field. Not worn in Formal settings of any kind, i.e.Troop meetings, COH, etc. I, along with others of my day, wore them at Jamboree in Japan. Not regulation. I am fully aware. The knot adorns my uniform now as it did as an Explorer.

I am in favor of the display of the badge. No limit to the age of the displayer.(Ill take the grammar hit.)

2. Eagle 1971 (I was 14)

"Well, GW, this is probably a mistake, bit I'll ask you the same question. What's YOUR point?"

Hmmmm . . . you must have missed it while you were ranting but I was answering YOUR question of "Why 21 and not 25?"

You also seemed to have missed the point that the original question was not whether Eagle scouts SHOULD wear their patch after 18 but whether Eagle Scouts SHOULD BE PERMITTED to wear their patch after 18.

I'm like Elliot Ness. As the rules stand, I'm opposed to an over 18 Eagle wearing his patch (with the possible exception of his ECOH) however, if the rules should change, I think that might be a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I earned my Eagle in '06, and the patch has stayed on my uniform since then. I turn 19 this march. My reasoning: I earned the rank, i'm wearing it. Whats it matter if i wear a knot that says the exact same thing or a patch that says the exact same thing? This isn't the Army. I realize that some people care if a patch is 1/4" off center or if you wear spoof patch. I think thats what makes scouting fun.