Eagle Scout ceremony - 18yrs old - uniform

We've had several of these cases,

Eagle Scout Ceremony with scouts that are 18,

and in my opinion - I don't agree with the decisions regarding not wearing of the uniform...

The Eagle ceremony is the classic opportunity to showcase what scouting is all about. To have an 18yr old Eagle Scout standing up front, in full uniform makes a powerful statement.

To have these young men "dress-down" to a common suit does nothing to stimulate the other scouts in the audience, as well as the the other invited guests....

In my opnion, Scouting does itself a major dis-service to not have "alumni 18yr old scouts" or those appearing in a advancement ceremony wearing their full Scout uniform.

Actually - I was thinking of an Eagle ceremony with some of the older (18+) scouts in full uniform and the entire ceremony, color guard, and presenters were all in uniform and Eagle Scouts...

As I tell my son - you may have "been" on the swim team, "been" on the track team, or a member of the National Honor Society - but you will always "BE" AN EAGLE SCOUT... present tense - forever -

I cannot envision a situation where an active Eagle Scout (youth) would not have a uniform. If he has a uniform he should wear it and wear it correctly, especially if he has a role in the ceremony. I agree that the uniform shows off the accomplishment of being an Eagle. The only reason that I can think of where he might not have a uniform that fits properly would be if he has been inactive (youth) for some time (i.e. he earned the Eagle as a young age and hasn't been active since) in which case I would question whether he should have an active role in the ceremony. When all Eagle Scouts are called to stand with the new Eagle, then ALL Eagles present (youth and adult) can rise and should be grand examples of what it means to be an Eagle.

With the exception of two active Eagles, I have never, repeat NEVER, seen an active Eagle, either youth or adult, out of uniform at an ECOH.

As for those two active Eagles out of Scout uniform, one was representing the USN for a certificate presentation, and was in USN uniform. The other Eagle was representing the Marine Corps League for a certificate presentation, and was in that uniform.

well - as I've been told -

The "SCOUT" ends at age 18... along with the "Scout version" of the uniform... with rank patches, MB sash, etc

My entire point is that regarding Scouts who are 18yrs old... or recently older...

Therefore, his "uniform" could be that of an adult leader, which of course is a "uniform", but the entire presentation is totally different.... knots vs patches, no sash, etc

Again - at a COH, especially an ECOH, what's the "rule" for scouts over 18 ?

Scouting is probably the only organization where you can't wear your old uniform as part of your heritage, or to reflect your alumni status..... vs HS, College, Army, etc

(This message has been edited by ps56k)

If you mean an 18 year old having a his ECOH, I say let him wear the uniform as it is his day. In addition to the Eagle Presentation Kit, I would buy a knot as well. Further if the young man is continuing on as an ASM, get that POR patch and do an ASM investiture ceremony.

I actually know of one 21 year old who had his ECOH. His mom saved his "old" uniform for the day he when after serving in the USAF he could have the ECOH. Yep he had an ECOH three years after earning his Eagle. The troop had no problems with him wearing that old uniform with all the youth patches since we knew the situation.

I really don't think the "uniform police" are going to get that nit picky at a young man's ECOH.

If you mean an 18 year old having a his ECOH, I say let him wear the uniform as it is his day. In addition to the Eagle Presentation Kit, I would buy a knot as well. Further if the young man is continuing on as an ASM, get that POR patch and do an ASM investiture ceremony.

This is what we do, although we only get the knot if he is continuing as an adult leader.

saw something of note a couple of weeks ago:

At a troop Court of Honor, a scout about to age out of the troop was being awarded First Class. Likely his last function with the troop. His family, including an older brother who is an Eagle from the troop, attended. Older brother, the Eagle, is now in college and made a special trip home to attend. He was wearing his full youth uniform, including Eagle patch, merit badge sash and OA sash (yes, I know it's wrong on many counts).

There are no uniform police, so nobody is going to be quoting BSA uniform regulations to him. But I got to thinking that this was also likely to be his last function with the troop, now that his brother is "graduating" and it may be the last time he wears the uniform. He was proud enough of his accomplishments that he still wanted to wear it. Some kids can't wait to get out of it, or are somewhat embarrassed to be wearing it in public.

There were tons of mid-aged kids in the troop that were happy to see him. I'm just hoping that he feels strongly enough about the program that he continues as an adult leader some day.

Guy

"although we only get the knot if he is continuing as an adult leader"

That's just wrong. The kid earned Eagle. Why in the world would you NOT present him with the medal? (Adults can wear the medal too, on formal occasions).

""although we only get the knot if he is continuing as an adult leader"

"That's just wrong. The kid earned Eagle. Why in the world would you NOT present him with the medal? (Adults can wear the medal too, on formal occasions)."

I think you misread his post.

the presentation kit does not include the knot. He's saying they only add the knot if they know he is going to continue as an adult leader.

No problem.

We also buy them the embroidered neckerchief.

We don't pay for extra mentor or parent pins, either. This has begun to get weird. I have scouts giving mentors pins to mom and dad. Mother's pins to friends of the family. I think one of the up coming scouts is giving out 7 or 8 pins.

Let me make sure I understand.

Ordinarily, we need to use whips and chairs to get kids to wear the full Scout uniform.

And yet there is a question about whether a young man age 18 or 19 can proudly wear his full Scout uniform at his own or someone else's Eagle Court of Honor Setting a powerful example example for everybody in sight. Communicating to younger Scouts that the uniform is a great thing.

Am I in La la land? :) Why in this circumstance would we EVER not want a Scout or former Scout to set a proud example and honor another Eagle Scout? The uniform is one of the methods of Scouting and its purpose is to enhance the aims -- citizenship, character and fitness. For heaven's sake, let's use the method and not let it use us.

Well said, NeilLup!

Whatever strengthens the program needs to be considered. I am very conservative and believe the traditional methods of Scouting were, and remain, the best. In the 1970's many changes came about in our program. Nearly 40 years later, BSA still exists, but I think many of us question whether those changes strengthed us.

But if a change makes things better, then we darn well better consider it. Staying in one place for no reason other than tradition is a sure recipe for a slow death.

If an aged out Scout cared enough to show up in his old uniform, I'd gladly welcome him and sit him alongside all the other Scouts in attendance. And I might be smart enough to speak to him about updating it and adding an ASM patch!

Shoot, I'd take as "A Sign" that he wanted an ASM patch but didn't know how to ask for it.

He'd be mentoring a Patrol Leader so fast his head would spin in little fleur-de-lis patterns on the floor.

After, of course, he cleared the background check if I didn't already know him.