Jamboree Patch earned at youth worn as leader

I can't seem to find any information on the subject. After digging through my old scout stuff with my son when I was a scout I have found few items from the 1981 National Jamboree I attended as a 15 year old including a few jamboree patches in great condition. Since this isn't a rank advancement I was wondering what the policy was on a current adult leader wearing a Jamboree patch they earned as a youth? Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on the subject.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to several jamborees.

I've always kept atleast one shirt with one of the old patches on it.

Also, I see scouters in my area who went to older jamborees as a youth, and still wear that patch.

If we open the dusty pages of the insignia guide we'll find that it says "one current national jamboree patch above the right pocket and one current world jamboree patch on the right pocket."

Is 1981 the current Jamboree? I leave the rest as an exercise for the reader.

Gold Winger, I did see that note but did put the question in since it isn't too clear. If you were a leader and served 2005 Jamboree but didn't go to the 2010 jamboree should you yours 2005 patch off after the 2010 Jamboree? It isn't clear I thought I would ask and as Buffalo Skipper indicated it was the last National Jamboree he and I participated in.

One of the dictionary definitions for current is "most recent". I think that BSA doesn't define "current" in the insignia guide intentionally. It could be read as most recent jamboree held (most restrictive) or most recent jamboree participated in (least restrictive).

Those of us who choose to continue to wear our Jamboree patch subscribe to the latter interpretation.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

No I agree it is hard to understand the specifics or the original thought. I does seem that if you follow that view you shouldn't wear a Jamboree patch if is not the current one. Regardless of my original question it does seem what you are saying if you participated in any Jamboree 2001 or earlier you should remove the patch if it is on your uniform.(This message has been edited by NewLdr)

This is one of those areas where I sort of look the other way regarding the patch. I have attended two, one as a boy in 1960, and one as a leader in 1985. I have the 85 on my current shirt, and may eventually have the 60 on one that fits (it is on an older shirt that shrank in the closet). Kids should want to know what that was like, IMHO; what were earlier gatherings about and what occurred. Also, they are simply part of the history of the program. So, in this case, the "uniform police" can ticket me.