District Patch Question

I have searched through threads trying to find the answer to this question in hopes that I didn't have to ask publicly, but no luck....

I just went and picked up a uniform and all its works and discovered when I got home that there was no district patch. I called the shop and asked if I'd forgotten it, and was told that I was intentionally not sold one because of where it would be positioned - I am a female....

Is it standard for women not to wear a district patch because it would be placed on their chest? She also told me that I should sew down the front pockets as to not draw attention (it's the new uniform... they're not THAT bad). Is this also expected of the ladies?

District patches are not required uniform patches as they are considered temporary insignia. Don't know about the other stuff you ask since I don't work for supply anymore, nor do I have a new uniform. However I've been told by those who do have the new shirts that the button on the right pocket is useless as tempoary insignia with loops fall right off. One person I know did modify the pocket by by making a slit onto the pocket cover and sewing the button onto the pocket proper. His OA flap covers up the modification.

Two things for you from the insignia guide:

"Female leaders wearing either the traditional yellow Cub Scout leader blouse, the optional tan leader blouse, or the Venturing blouse, may wear one temporary insignia centered above the Boy Scouts of America strip."

"Districts are operational arms of the local council. Individuals are not identified as residents of a district, but of the local council and the Boy Scouts of America. For this reason district insignia is not authorized for wear on the uniform. Where it seems desirable to identify district participation in council activities, district flags or banners may be authorized. They are described in the flag portion of this book."

Thanks so much for your responses.

Eagle92, it's helpful to know that the District Patch isn't necessary, and it's also good information about the button.

click23, thanks for digging through the books for me. Seems pretty clear to me.

Fellow Scouters,

Just to chime in.

Some Districts sell, (or sometimes its earned like a Scouters Merit Badge), a district neckerchief, a district bolo tie, or a district name tag. Or a Red Jacket (or what ever jacket you use) District Patch.

Like click23 has stated with the insignia guide, the insignia guide has made allowances for ladies to place certain patches in above the pocket vice on the pocket. Mainly because boys, men and ladies all come in different shapes, sizes and etc.

Similar questions have been asked in this and other forums (and it remains mostly a heritage issue), but when you earn the Scouters Key or Scouters Training Award it is a medal for the chest. But if you earn the Cub Scout Leaders Awards, they are neck ribbons which are draped around the neck.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

click23 is correct in saying that District patched are not authorized to worn on a scout uniform.. I work for BSA-National SG.. Neither of the Scout Shops in our area sell hem. You have to go to your districts roundtable to pick one up..

However, if you MUST wear one, it should go on the right pocket in the "temporary insignia" area of the uniform. A lot of people like to wear them on the right sleeve, under the american flag.

The patch police wont come after you, but some people might give you a little crap..

And some districts say to heck with the UG, and sell a District patch.

Of course, it helps that your District would be a 600 series Council all by itself if it was freestanding. Scout Execs tend to understand the cost of doing business is sometimes to turn a blind eye when big donor bucks are involved. :)

Eagle92,

I wish I had an answer for you as far as when the new Insignia Guide is going to be released... We've been wondering & waiting ourselves...

What issues did you have at your camporee? Ill try to help if I can..

--Chikara

Chikara,

Basically about the position of the POR and trained patches and the new socks. The inspector wanted the trained patches were they go on the ODL uniform, and folks had them as shown in the flyer. Also the Thorlo's put the BSA logo in a really poor spot: on the foot. Scotu had to take off his boots to prove they were official BSA socks.

Eagle92...

In regards to the new uniform here is Nationals stance:

The new (green) trained patch should be worn on the sleeve pocket flap right above the POR patch. The POR patch should be worn on the sleeve pocket.

The new Thorlo socks ARE considered official uniform pieces along with the new green scout socks.. Either socks ARE official!

Use the old inspection sheet in regards to the old uniform. If a scout/scouter has one of the new "green" trained patches on their old uniform, it should be worn BELOW the POR patch on the old uniform.

Basically, old uniform goes by old standards for that uniform. New uniform goes by new standards for the new uniform.

You cant inspect both by the same standards..

Hope this helps!(This message has been edited by chikara)

GW,

When you have a retired MCPO as Dist. Comm., and the uniform inspections points have decided who won the district trophy in the past, they get nit picky. Heck he makes them raise both legs to make sure that the scouts don't do what one patrol did in the past. Since not all scouts had official socks, they shared the socks by having everyone wear the right foot.

Click23,

In regards to the Comm. Arrowhead award....

Dont hold me to this one, but Ive been told that it should be worn directly under the CSP on the left shoulder.. This what we have been telling scouters that ask.. Thats where Ive been wearing mine..

Until a new uniform/insignia guide comes out, we wont know for sure.. My guess is, thats where it will end up. There is no room for it to be worn under the sleeve pocket on the new uniform unless you buy the long sleeve version.. Logically, where else would ya put it?

Yours in Scouting...