Got the new uniform

As the father of four children I completely understand that each generation is different than the last. However, I think that iPods and other mp3 players have no business in the Scouting realm. It is important for safety that the boys can hear what is going on around them. I agree that a long car trip without electronics would cause a great deal of stress both for the adults in the vehicle and for the boys. But, once we get to camp they need to be put away for the duration.

My son recently crossed over to a troop. During the Blue and Gold, the guest of honor SPL of the gaining troop was completely immersed in his mp3. What a wonderful example to set for the new boys. Recently attended our first troop meeting and surprise, surprise he was wearing them throughout most of the meeting. Worst thing about it is he is the son of one of the leaders. Now how am I supposed to instill in my son that he should follow the Scout Law when the members of the PLC do not?

Sorry, Nachamawat, but I think in both your cases, the Ipod was not the problem. It would seem to be a leadership problem. Had the Scout been reading a book, or sitting by himself working on knots, his actions would have been inappropriate.

If the Scout had not had his Ipod, do we really think his behavior would have been better? Obviously he was not interested in what was going on.

I agree with you both that there is a lack of manners and leadership from what I witnessed in the troop. I am eager to voice my opinion on that, but . . . I am the new guy and I have only been to two meetings and one outing with them so far. Think it is too early to try to upset the apple cart just yet. I am willing to put in some time and see if the behavior changes. Still does not mean I have to like it!

I saw our guys off on their backing trip yesterday. One Scout showed up in his brand new centennial uniform. The guys don't wear the official uniform when backpacking, but he was so proud of his. He told me he was going to test out the tech pocket. Had his Ipod in there already. After he said that, he looked at me very seriously and said, "I won't use it while we're hiking, gotta stay alert, just gonna use it in the car."

Nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually don't have a problem with electronics on Scout activities including camping or even hiking as long as the Scout exercises judgment and courtesy. What I have problems with are

1) BSA uniforms made in a Communist country

2) Unnecessarily expensive changes when some of my boys have been and are having to live frugally

3) Visine changes to the uniform (getting the Red out)

4) Possible misrepresentations in Scouting magazine

Let me explain the last point first. The article I read in Scouting said these changes to the uniform, including changing the colors of numerals, badges and shoulder tabs from red to sage green, were requested by the boys. In nearly 30 years of the "new" uniform, I have NEVER heard a single boy say they wished the troop numerals or Trained badge were green. I DID hear (probably even said) the shoulder tabs should have been green instead of red when the new uniform was first introduced -- but haven't heard that comment in over 20 years. I DID hear complaints about the red-striped socks, desires for more or bigger pockets, etc. but nothing about the color of troop numerals.

Obviously I'm not keen on removing decades of heritage by changing the troop numerals for no good purpose and the purpose of changing these colors hasn't been explained well at all unless you buy the story about boys requesting it.

There are some things I actually like about the uniform design but I view them as unnecessarily expensive changes when some of our Scouts are fiscally challenged (low income single parent families). I already had shirts and convertible pants from REI or other sources that had many of the features that have been folded into the Centennial uniform -- but I can afford these clothing items, not all my scouts can.

I'm still waiting for the wear reports on the stitching for those bellowed pockets that will just encourage teenage boys to throw more heavy things into their shirt pocket.

Last -- but not least -- I refuse to buy a Boy Scout uniform made in a Communist country. Whoever thought this was a good idea needs to have their head examined. That's right up there with the time I went to a military exchange to purchase a new US flag for my mother and could only find ones made in the PRC.