Boy Scout kilts

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As scouting goes I think it would be great if the BSA would allow Utilikilts be worn at functions, dress or otherwise. The BSA logo embroidered on the front panel in gold on a green Survival model wou

I have a Casual Kilt that I have from Kommando Kilts that Matches the pants color. You can pick one up off the website for $135.00. They are great for camping, hiking, or what every your out door activity. www.kommandokilts.com

Your Friend in Scouting,

Wayne W. Leith

"The kilt is a fad that I wish would just die. contrary to what kilt wearers beleive it does not look good."

A fad by definition passes quickly, as this thread was resurrected after 3 years might cause some to say this is more than a fad. ;)

That's your opinion, and it's my family heritage. Also, scouting has a Scottish background with Woodbadge. There is an official Tarten patern and the Woodbadge use the Mclearen Tarten as their offical patern. Maybe you should think about that before you start stomping on others background. And here is many examples of Scouts in Kilts, and there are also examples in the original Scout books. You can find many examples of Scouts in Kilts including the old Scout books.

I wore the kilt part of the time at Jambo 2010. No problems. I often wear one on cruises for formal night, and the ladies love it. (It's the most strongly male apparel around.)

For those with no Scottish family connections, there are many other tartans available. Carolina Tartan, California, Texas Bluebonnet, U.S.A. tartan, Marine Corps Tartan, Confederate Memorial, and many others. Hunting Stewart is another that is traditionally acceptable for non-Scots.

Fad? That's hilarious; fads don't stay around for hundreds of years.

Obi-Wayne,

Not sure about the PM of your post to me, If you re-read my post you might notice that I was qouting another post from earlier and responding to that post tounge in cheek (notice the ;) ) on the same side of the aisle as you I too am of scottish (with irish in the mix too) heritage and am a fan of the tartan

:)

I don't know what anybody has against the kilt. As a direct descendant of a MacLaren who died on the field at Culloden, I wear it proudly and once had a troop honor guard that wore the tartan and appropriate regalia for special occasions. One of our reviewers was Bill Hillcourt, who heartily approved.

As to it being a fad, it's been fairly popular in Scotland for over 400 years. I have pictures of Lord Rowallan, Chief Scout of Great Britain wearing his clan kilt at Schiff in the 1940's.

The link you provided is a paper written by a member of The Clan MacLaren Society. It's just a personal opinion. Give us something from the Insignia Guide or BSA about kilts. Anyone can and will wear other stuff with the BSA uniform, but it's only a personal thing. BSA does not endorse kilts or other additions/subtractions from the uniform other than what BSA has published.

To Kahuna, it's not that there is objections to kilts or Scottish history or tradtions. The objection is when someone says that it is OK to mix one with the BSA uniform or that BSA or Woodbadge endorses it.