Boy Scout kilts

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As scouting goes I think it would be great if the BSA would allow Utilikilts be worn at functions, dress or otherwise. The BSA logo embroidered on the front panel in gold on a green Survival model wou

I remember that our Scottish friends told us they have a "kilt bank" of used kilts they have scrounged or handed down. The Scouts just wear whatever is available if they don't own a kilt. A lot of Scots don't. They have kilt rental places so you can get dressed up in kilt and Prince Charlie outfit for your wedding.

We used the MacLaren tartan. I'm a member of Clan MacLaren in my own right, in addition to being a Woodbadger, so figured that would be the appropriate one to wear.

Due to today's society, I always wear something if the boys are around. I don't need any problems from a boy's family who might claim I exposed myself to their son. Other than that I always wear boots and socks under my kilts.

John

As my friends from the 105th Glasgow Scout troop told me when I worked at Youlbury International Scout Camp, "9 tenths of the time we don't wear anything under the kilts. But that 1 tenth of the time we wear shorts because some of the women might get a wee bit offended, and all the men would be jealous."

At a highland games about a year ago I spoke with a gentleman from Clan McLaren who was also a Scouter. He was telling me the clan has a program to help provide Scout units with kilts. It may take so digging around to find the right guy, but try Googling Clan McLaren Society North America. We're going to the games this weekend and I'll see if the McLarens have a tent.

I have three different kilts and can tell you absolutely that nothing is worn under a Highlander's kilt -- everything is in perfect working order.

Story from Reader's Digest Humour in Uniform. Before the US entered the war a young fellow headed to Canada to get into the war. He joined a highland regiment and, after training, come home on leave, resplendent in kilt, knee socks, and Glengarry. He was sprawled in a chair, talking to his family and friends who had come to visit. His mother came into the room and exclaimed, "Son, if you're going to be a soldier, you're going to have to learn to sit like a lady!"

As I typed this story, I was struck by the irony that in the 1930s young American men headed to Canada so they could get into a war and 30 years later, young American men headed to Canada to escape a war.

In parting, I'd like to say that if we expect our daughter's to wear underwear under their skirts, we should expect no less from Scotsmen.

In spite of what may or may not be worn under the kilt, I believe that I have learned the answer to a question that I have wondered about. It seems that most of you are okay with the kilt, just have questions about the proper way to wear it.

Many states have adopted a tartan. So district tartans can always be worn. Few tartans are restricted. But good taste would say that you should a least know something about the tartan you are wearing.

BTW, as far as I know I don't have any Scottish ancestry. But I do appreciate the Scottish history associated with Scouting.

Packhound, yes kilts are tolerated, and the mystery is up to you to convey or not. The Maclaren tartan is the most widely worn and if you look at the early history of Scouts you will find that the all scouts were invited into the Clan by the ruling Cheiftan of the tiime. A solid kilt in olive or the new green is also often seen. If you want a good Kilt wearers site go to X Marks the Scot http://www.xmarksthescot.com/ and they can give you all the info you want. There is alot of kilt wearing Scoutmasters there

John

Been on vacation for a few days here...glad to see this thread still running and healthy.

I would offer one bit of advice I am aware of from my Scottish relatives...when one is not entitled to a given tartan and wishes to wear a kilt, the tartan of the Black Watch Highland regiment is worn.

My aunts there in Glasgow were highly amused by the Utilikilt...they commented that only a daft yank would wear a garment called a kilt but without a tartan...and as my auntie told me " theres nae pockets ona kilt! Thats wot the sporrans fer.....bloody Yanks!" (Glaswegian phonics added).

Fellow Scouters,

I had to respond when I saw Mr Boyce's comments. Well, I've seen Pfadfinder in Lederhosen, and BSA Scouts not in hula skirts, but in Samoan lava-lavas.

I do have a few friends and fellow Scouters which frequently wear Utilikilts.

I'm glad its not part of the official BSA uniform. But heck, fellow Scouters wear jeans, unit T-shirts, and etc. So why not a kilt once in a while.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv