Unique Unit Numeral Patch

Then what do you gain by not transfering to the other unit now? There is no such thing as merging the units. You stop being the member of one unit and you join the other. There is no benefit to waiting until recharter time. Rather than look for an odd way to alter the uniform why not just join the other unit?

Sad to admit it but BeeDubya has a point. Why wait for rechartering time, just pick up and move to the other troop. I think that it costs a buck to transfer registrations. Once the old unit has no members, it will cease to exist.

If you want to do something special with the number, you can do that at recharter time.

As I mentioned before, the adult leaders of my troop are meeting with the youth members of my troop to find out THEIR sentiments. If THE BOYS are okay with "merging" the two troops, then we plan to do so WHEN WE RECHARTER (in January). (You should consider that there would be some sentimental reasons for continuing the current charter.)

THE BOYS from both units wanted to do something that celebrates the blending of the units. The troop numeral patch just seemed like a logical idea since THE BOYS like to refer to themselves as such rather than by number. The other SM and I discussed this last night and feel that even after "merging" the units that THE BOYS will probably want to continue to refer to themselves by the moniker.

Just a suggestion, it might be a fitting symbol to the merger of the units to make the troop neckerchief to be combination of the old troops ones and if neither of the units has a long veteran status to combine the numbers. If one troop neckerchief was blue and the other red make up a blue/red one with a lightening blot linking the numbers or something.

NWScouter,

Have you been looking over our shoulder at Scout Meetings or PLC? :lol: Those are precisely the different troop necker colors and that has been a suggestion. One of the boys has designed a logo that we are looking into having embroidered.

Since the numeral colors have changed, the thought was, since we were looking to order new numeral patches anyway, to see about getting the lightning put on the patch (either logo, lightning bolt, or text) instead of the numbers, if that was kosher.

PH,

I also recommend a troop necker. Heck multicolored neckers are popular in other Scouting associations across the globe.

One idea off the top of my head would be a necker patch (cheaper than embroidering and can be ordered in bulk, used for tabletops decorations, troop awards, etc)that has some symbol of troop A then a lightening bolt some symbol of troop B. if you don't want a multicolored necker, have the patch multicolored, with the lightening bolt dividing the colors in half diagonally.

Oh heck with it, got with a red necker since national wants to cut out that color and go with what the guys want ;)

Eagle92,

Actually, what you have suggested is very similar to what we have come up with. One half red the other blue. From the front it looks like two different color "tails".

The boys from "my" troop are mostly older, more experienced. So they joined in with the older/more experienced patrol from the other troop. On the roll it looks like a large patrol, but many of the boys have caught the "fumes" so participation is about the number of a normal sized patrol. The other patrol is made up of new scouts, most of them crossed over from Webelos last Spring. A good sized active patrol. The older patrol is in the process of deciding on a new name (their request) to reflect that they are really a new patrol.

One of the boys had already designed a patch similar to what you suggested, but with Patrol logos rather than symbols representing two troops. (He is waiting for the new patrol name so that he can redesign the patch.) They have grasped the Patrol method quite well and are more focused on their Patrols rather than being two different troops.

• 3 weeks later...

Try Stadri Emblems. They are online and my troop is going through them for a custom patch. You can make it whatever dimensions you want and what's better, they will send you a free patchas a prototype so you can actually hold and show the troop what it will look like. The website is like this but with no separations (it is so the computer wont strip it out of my post) www . stadr i emb lem s . com

Good Luck