the new socks

On the new uniform tri-fold flyer, it shows both grey socks and green ones. Our scout shop is stocking both. My son opted for the grey BSA thorlo hiking socks. These socks cost something like $12-$14.

After purchase we were told by the person who does the ordering for our scout shop (and usually knows what she's talking about) that the grey socks are "activity socks" only, and the new green socks are the official uniform socks. Since he's in a troop that strongly emphasizes the uniform method, the upshot of this, if true, is that we'd need to buy the other socks too. Can anybody verify or debunk this? I see no clear statement of this on the new uniform brochures, but then again, it isn't as if the BSA is always crystal clear either.

The new uniform is TRANSITIONAL. Any part can be mixed and matched with any other. Since there is no Uniform Inspection sheet for the new uniforms nor a revision of the guide then there is no "official" position on any of this yet.

I see nothing that would lead me to believe that one style of sock is activity only.

One IS listed in the on-line catalog as 'uniform sock' and the other as 'hiking sock', so I guess that's the basis for this person's statement. But I see NOTHING states that one is for uniform wear and another isn't.

Further, on the uniform pdf, they have 5 different style of socks listed under the general heading of "Centennial Uniform Socks". This, to me, would say that ALL 5 styles are ok to wear with the uniform. The PDF doesn't use the term 'uniform sock'. The 5 styles are crew, low-cut, thorlo hiking, thorlo light low-cut hiker, thorlo light hiker crew (lovely combo of styles there)

I would certainly hope some troops don't think they need to mandate a particular style of sock for everyone.

The concept of 'transitional' has nothing to do with this, btw.

Although the policy regarding new uniforms has yet to be published, I think that common sense and tradition indicate that the green sock with the BSA at the top goes with the Centennial uniform. Sort of like the red-stripe socks matched the color of the official uniform pants. The new green socks match the new pants. The Thorlo socks don't match anything.

I think the gray Thorlo "activity" socks are just an attempt to provide an alternative sock to wear when hiking or wearing boots. The old red-strip socks really weren't very good for hiking, but they were great for formal occasions such as BORs and COHs.

Guys have been wearing Thorlo for years - in addition to the official socks. I'd bet that this is basically another way for NSD do generate additional revenue (call it competition with other retailers).

"Although the policy regarding new uniforms has yet to be published, I think that common sense and tradition indicate that the green sock with the BSA at the top goes with the Centennial uniform. Sort of like the red-stripe socks matched the color of the official uniform pants. The new green socks match the new pants. The Thorlo socks don't match anything."

Common sense? Oh, no, no, no. We don't do common sense here. We need to have a clear, written policy!! :)

Seriously, I agree with you, I just worry about kids who didn't get the 'uniform socks' now feeling they need to purchase them.

I agree common sense really ought to rule the day here. Unfortunately we can all come up with plenty of examples where this is not the case when it comes to uniform matters. And my son is in a troop where uniforming is a seriously big deal. So if in fact the green socks are the only "official" socks and the grey ones are only "hiking" socks, then he'll end up w/ green ones. I'll just be slightly annoyed is all.

As for the thorlo stuff - I like thorlo. They're certainly better than the old cotton green/red socks. And in fact there were green thorlos on the shelves at our scout shop too. So if I end up buying greenies too, at least they'll be suitable for real outdoor use.

Ok is it me or has anyone noticed the BSA logo on the Green and Thorlo uniform socks? 1) why use an iron logo (at least that's what it looks like to me)or stamped logo that stretches to unreadable? Also is it me or the BSA location on the Thorlo's is a really bad location: on the foot and not noticable at all?

Lucky me, I was in Fort Worth until yesterday on business. I made a little side trip over to the mother ship before heading back south. In the scout shop at the national office, the display showed both socks - option given to the wearer. they even had "old" socks. however, none of the "green" socks that they had matched the green of the new pants. In fact, my wife pointed out that it was a pretty bad clash (before I could even comment). I remember my socks matching my pants (and shorts) in 1985.

Mebbe BSA should give us a choice of color, like the Model T: Black... Goes with everything!

"Black socks, they never get dirty

the longer you wear em the stronger they get

Sometimes I think I should wash'em but something keeps telling me

Oh no not yet ... not yet...not yet"