Which color of unit numbers for the new tan uniforms?

Chikara,

If the color of the loops was the result of a misprint back in 1979, then it should have been corrected in 1979, not 2008, almost 30 years later. A scout is thrify, and I know people who save their loops just in case they need them again, for sentimental reasons, and in case they know someone know needs them. heck I'm one of them. I still got my blue loops from being a Webelos and plan on using them when I get into cubs again as a leader. I Also I got my gold loops still after working supply, you never know when I'll be a regional volunteer ;)

I've seen people mix and match old patches and loops on the new uniform. I hate to say it, but it will continue until a drastic new redesign occurs. let's face it the uniforms are expensive, especially with the economy in the crapper. People will pinch every penny they can, and that means they will take patches off old uniforms and put them on the new ones.

Again my $.02 worth.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!! Do people get up tight over the simplest things or what.

TRANSITIONAL (weather the word exists or not), I will be wearing my old style shirt with red loops, and red numbers until I need to go buy a new one, then I will buy the new style shirt with the green loops and green numbers. The rest of my troop shall do the same.

MIX & MATCH (weather the words exists or not), I will need a new shirt before I need a new pair of pants (my pants are the old style from around 2001). I will then buy the new Centennial Shirt (with the new insignia) to wear with my old style pants.

As troop committee chairman our job is to interpret BSA policy for the troop and that I have done.

Once an official uniform, always an official uniform.

All this legal! No tickets or warrants for my arrest from the uniform police.

I hardly expect the new uniform guidelines to state that every scout and leader MUST go out and buy the new complete uniform (as pictured) by a deadline date or they must turn in their registration.

My 3 cents...fire away, I'm standing still.

I noticed something interesting with the new numbers, at least in my local shop. I bought a new shirt (with green tabs) and unit numbers "2" and "8". When I got home, I noticed the font on them don't match. I had also bought numbers for one of my kid's shirt, an "8" and a "9" (different unit).

The 8's and 9's match, but the 2 is larger, more of a "block" style. Side-by-side I imagine some people wouldn't notice, or even care, but to me it looks wrong. They are two mismatched numerals. I checked back at the store, and all their 2's were the same.

I haven't been to another scout shop yet, but I'll check that next.

Gklose,

I'd recommend that you order a minimum order of 12 single unit numeral patches so the numbers all match. I have the new green one piece unit numerals patches, and they are really sharp. Red or green, the solid patches look so much nicer, are easier to sew, and are actually cheaper than buying 3 seperate numerals anyhow. Take the extras you don't need out of the dozen, and sell them in your unit. I prefer to give mine away to those who show some interest in the ones on my uniforms.

Yes the 2 looks different, but I just don't like 3 numerals sewed together even if they all matched. This situation with the odd ball 2 is even worse looking. Typical Chinese manufacturing quality.

What you will want to do for the one piecers is call National Supply 1-800-323-0736.

Tell them you want the one piece unit numerals in green & tan. You can even have a Veteran Unit Bar sewn into the one piece numerals if you choose. They may require you to fax the order to them, or they may take it over the phone, depends on who you speak with. They are backlogged on those numerals right now, so there will be about a 4 week wait until you get the,. Well worth the wait though as they look crisp and sharp.

Thanks, GMitch...I just placed the order.

Custom, 2-digit in a quantity of 12, plus shipping, is a hair under $28. That is roughly $2.33/each, but buying individual unit numerals is $2.38/each. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Of course, my nightmare scenario is that I get the custom numbers, and the font on the "2" is as messed up as the single-digit patch is. :)

Also, a 4-week lead time, as you said.

Thanks again...

Guy

That's a hoot. They changed the typeface for most of the digits but left the "2" in the "traditional" type.

I wonder why they changed at all. BSA numbers have been blocky since the beginning. What purpose does changing them serve? I'm sure BeeDubya would ask, "how does changing the numbers serve the program?"

Even more of a hoot is this. Look at the Scout on the first page of the flyer at http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/2008UniformGuide.pdf His numbers are of the old style, both digits.

Now look down a few pages where it shows the Webelos. The eight and the two in the inset don't match. (Ironic that they are the same digits that GKlose bought)

Are they so stupid at National that they didn't notice? Do they think that we are so stupid that we won't notice? Are they so desperate to get the new uniform out that they wouldn't say to the Chinese, "Do it right!"?(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

At first I thought maybe I was just being hyper-sensitive. I notice things like that.

If I were to guess, I'd say that in the process of spec'ing new stuff to be "Made In China", someone messed up, and national didn't catch it. So now they probably have a stock of these things somewhere hoping that nobody notices.

I also noticed -- on the "8" and the "2" patches, there is an embroidered border that isn't square, or the cut of the fabric rectangle isn't square. Coupled with everything else that is going on with the font, I think we're looking at really cheaply made stuff. So bad that it is visibly noticeable.

My own silent protest is to not wear numerals until the new custom embroidery comes in. I've already pointed out the problem to the local scout shop, but it's not like they can do anything about it.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Ironically enough, this is the very question I was searching for an answer for. As a new leader, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one confused on the issue. I can see the argument for Cub leaders wearing RED like the Cub scouts, but overall I agree with the wearing of the new color numerals on the new uniform. Leaders are Leaders. There should be some universal standard.

For people that were complaining about the 'cost of new numbers', they're a $1.19 apiece. That's $3.57 for a standard 3 numeral Pack (i.e. 554). Is three and a half bucks really going to break the bank? Come on...

And for those who ordered the custom 3 digit patches in red, save them for the kids that join your group in the future. That way, they're not wasted. No loss.

I'm not a fan nor am I a member of the Uniform Police, but as new standards come along, we must adjust.

Were you the same people that complained when the BSA changed the Tiger program to where the Bobcat Badge was earned first?

Or when cyberbullying awareness was made part of the First Class Scout regiment?

Times change. We must change with them or be left behind.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

"Were you the same people that complained when the BSA changed the Tiger program to where the Bobcat Badge was earned first?

Or when cyberbullying awareness was made part of the First Class Scout regiment?"

On the first, no. I think that the Tiger program is a complete waste of time.

On the second, yes. It's plain stupid along with all of the "anti-bully" stuff. "Don't stand up for yourself, run for teacher or mom" what better way to be bullied more. That's the French attitude, "Go ahead, invade and we won't fight back."

However, I would like the organization that has trumpeted for years that they "buy American" to sell quality American made stuff. The prices didn't drop with the Chinese made uniforms and the cost of numbers went up.

If I ever need another pair of uniform pants, I'll have my Italian born, American citizen run them up for me.

(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

I went to my Scout Store yesterday to pick up my shirt (I'll worry about affording the pants as camp gets closer).

Based on the 'Official' uniform pamphlets from the BSA, I had the green numerals in my hand.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/2008UniformGuide.pdf

The kindly Eagle Scout working in the store told me I had to get the red. Even when I showed him the flier. I obliged him.

Upon returning home, I called Supply Division in Irving, TX.

I spoke with a kindly gentleman by the name of James.

The official "GOSPEL" from the National Headquarters is: All Cubs (including Webelos in tan), Venturing, Cub leaders and Venturing Leaders still wear RED numbers.

Cub Leaders also still wear the blue epaulets.

ONLY BOY SCOUTS AND BOY SCOUT LEADERS WEAR THE NEW GREEN NUMBERS.

Now that that is settled, I feel better.

By the way, do the Supplex material shirts shrink at all? The XL I bought, I swim in. The Large didn't fit across my shoulders. Just need some slight shrinkage.